This looks really bad (Callaway news)

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So, is there indication that she is accusing UF of violating Title IX ? or should I say her attorneys alleging
such ?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
here is UF's response to the claims of bias:

The University of Florida is prohibited to comment on the existence or substance of student disciplinary matters under state and federal law.

However, I can tell you that our student conduct process may be handled by a hearing officer, who could be a university employee or an outside professional, or by a committee of faculty and students.

Any hearing officer and all committee members are trained and vetted for their impartiality. A hearing officer or committee member would not be disqualified or lack objectivity simply because he or she had been a student athlete decades earlier or purchases athletic tickets as more than 90,000 people do each year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It depends on what and whose definition is used. Some people and some states' laws distinguish rape and sexual assault as penetration due to violence or threat of (rape) vs. penetration without consent (sexual assault). Others use the terms interchangeably and still others (including Florida I believe but don't hold me to this as I don't practice law in the Sunshine State) don't use either term and instead refer to it as sexual battery. So depending on what definition is used, evidence may have been obtained were an medical examination done.

I have no contention with your legal brief. I just think the claimant did not think that way when she lodged
no claim of being raped. Her idea of rape would be like what our idea of rape is. Her story must have left no
purchase-point for her lawyers to hook any rape charge to.??

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
While I agree with some of what you said, you missed the mark on parts of your post. Title IX is a policy that deals with sexual discrimination for schools or activities receiving federal funding. It actually specifies sexual related crimes as one area that is covered so to say it has nothing to do with criminal activity is wrong. You are correct that the hearing isn't a trial, but while the hearing may be about determining if an unsafe environment was created it is also just as much a part of UF having a specific set of procedures in place to comply with Title IX requirements. That is what, in part tripped FSU up. FSU settling with Winston's accuser (they would have most likely lost their case had they not settled) wasn't proof that she was assaulted. It was really about the fact that as a university they didn't follow proper procedures when the alleged assault was brought to their attention. Had they followed a well designed and documented process they may have won the lawsuit. UF was looking to avoid the same fate as FSU, hence the suspension from campus and the hearings for Treon and Callaway.
I believe you basically said the same thing that I said, perhaps more from your frame of reference. My intention was to explain that it really doesn't matter if criminal activity occurred according to law enforcement, from the university's point of view they are trying to ensure compliance with Title IX and ultimately ensuring the safe educational environment.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I have no contention with your legal brief. I just think the claimant did not think that way when she lodged
no claim of being raped. Her idea of rape would be like what our idea of rape is. Her story must have left no
purchase-point for her lawyers to hook any rape charge to.??

My response to your first post was really just to illustrate that we really don't know what she claimed happened and that for all we know, she may have claimed to be penetrated against her will...and that if such were true, then a rape kit would be useful. However, we don't know as of now what she her claims are regarding penetration, unwanted touching, etc. Maybe we'll find out if Huntley releases the documents.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There are many ways of looking at this. Maybe bring in a Judge from outside who is more likely to want to at least see some evidence to boot someone out of school. The problem with these hearings many times is you have these political leaning people making the decision and many times they will rule against someone with practically no evidence but an accusation. After reading some articles on these hearings many are a joke basically.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So Harris basically plead guilty and took a plea to transfer and calloway is still maintaining his innocence? Am I reading this right?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
There are many ways of looking at this. Maybe bring in a Judge from outside who is more likely to want to at least see some evidence to boot someone out of school. The problem with these hearings many times is you have these political leaning people making the decision and many times they will rule against someone with practically no evidence but an accusation. After reading some articles on these hearings many are a joke basically.

You're correct. Also, at the risk of sounding like a callous Dick which isn't my intent, who do we get for the hearing? A scUM grad? A 'Nole grad? How about a Bama, UGA, USF, Auburn grad, etc??? My point is that most everybody will have what appears to be a bias on the surface so it's not an easy position to be in. Maybe we shouldn't have chosen a UF grad that donated money to the program...but would Clune have complained if we hired a UF grad that had never given a penny to the sports program? I'd venture a guess that he would have. And let's keep the lawyer's donations in perspective; he gives something like $5-$10k per year. A tidy sum for the average Joe but this isn't like he was Ben Hill Griffin giving $100 million dollars. Again, I'm not trying to make light of the allegations but most anybody we chose would have some perceived bias.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GIG, since Title IX deals with the FedGov why not have several "semi-retired" Federal judges who'd like
a 2-3 day vacation to parts unknown.??

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
GIG, since Title IX deals with the FedGov why not have several "semi-retired" Federal judges who'd like
a 2-3 day vacation to parts unknown.??

So long as they aren't Nole grads nor grads of any of the schools I alluded to then yeah, bring 'em on. :)

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Whether her claim is valid or not has NOTHING to do with us picking a known booster to hear the case. It's ridiculous. Someone really dropped the ball on this one.

Our PR Dept didn't see this coming from a mile away? Why put the university in this position? They couldn't find an arbiter that wasn't a booster? Come on...

Seriously. If her claim is BS why give them any ammo at all? Sorry...just trying to wrap my head around it.

The joke I want to insert has something to do with 3* adjudicator. But this isn't so much of a joking matter.

I agree this was a poor selection, but as GIG points out - who should we have selected? More to what's going thru my head, when was the selection made? We've had this open for what, 6-7 months? When was the guy selected and known by the plaintiff's lawyer...compared to this being an issue now? I don't know the process, so I have no idea when or how they select someone for a hearing like this. And why is the process taking this long?

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Complainant never goes to the police? Complainant's attorneys never go to the police? Complainant's attorney is outraged that complainant's prior sexual activity has been included in hearing?

Something smells fishy about this whole case, especially given Treon transfers, says sorry, and is then absolved, yet Calloway is still on the hook.

My guess is that this all dies out. UF did their due-diligence, suspending the 2 whike collecting 1,000 pages of testamony including conflicting text/vmails.

After FSU fiasco, my bet is that they have this one covered.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Complainant never goes to the police? Complainant's attorneys never go to the police? Complainant's attorney is outraged that complainant's prior sexual activity has been included in hearing?

Something smells fishy about this whole case, especially given Treon transfers, says sorry, and is then absolved, yet Calloway is still on the hook.

My guess is that this all dies out. UF did their due-diligence, suspending the 2 whike collecting 1,000 pages of testamony including conflicting text/vmails.

After FSU fiasco, my bet is that they have this one covered.

One would think so.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You're correct. Also, at the risk of sounding like a callous Dick which isn't my intent, who do we get for the hearing? A scUM grad? A 'Nole grad? How about a Bama, UGA, USF, Auburn grad, etc??? My point is that most everybody will have what appears to be a bias on the surface so it's not an easy position to be in. Maybe we shouldn't have chosen a UF grad that donated money to the program...but would Clune have complained if we hired a UF grad that had never given a penny to the sports program? I'd venture a guess that he would have. And let's keep the lawyer's donations in perspective; he gives something like $5-$10k per year. A tidy sum for the average Joe but this isn't like he was Ben Hill Griffin giving $100 million dollars. Again, I'm not trying to make light of the allegations but most anybody we chose would have some perceived bias.

Completely disagree. If you think you are going to win on the merits of the case...why give the appearance of impropriety? It makes me think that the case against AC is bad.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Does this look suspect? Yes. Will UF get raked over the coals for this? Yes. But let's not even put this in the same category as FSU and Baylor. However I am still highly disappointed in this whole situation.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Completely disagree. If you think you are going to win on the merits of the case...why give the appearance of impropriety? It makes me think that the case against AC is bad.

You disagree with my premise that most anybody selected has some sort of bias? You also disagree that Clune wouldn't have objected to a UF grad who didn't donate money to Gator athletics being selected as the judge in this hearing? By all means, tell me who should have been selected???

And just to bring you up to speed, this hearing wasn't "Alleged Victim vs. UF"...it was "Alleged Victim vs. Antonio Callaway". See my previous post for the explanation about that and why it matters..,doing so will also help educate you.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You disagree with my premise that most anybody selected has some sort of bias? You also disagree that Clune wouldn't have objected to a UF grad who didn't donate money to Gator athletics being selected as the judge in this hearing? By all means, tell me who should have been selected???

And just to bring you up to speed, this hearing wasn't "Alleged Victim vs. UF"...it was "Alleged Victim vs. Antonio Callaway". See my previous post for the explanation about that and why it matters..,doing so will also help educate you.

Seriously...you think he was a fair choice as an arbiter? Come on...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This very slow timeline would seem to put more pressure on Calloway's end. ??
All along have the claimant & her attorney been capable of dragging this out ? If so have they done that ?
See, waiting all this time and now is she refusing to participate ? Will the case be decided without her being there?
What would be an okay "win" for this girl ? If Callaway is guilty, then he was guilty back in January. The facts of
this case should have been established 6-7 months back. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator