This may explain why Mac has trouble landing elite QBs

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
He's never really had to recruit them. Add in Nuss's ability to regress a QBs ability and stats and here we are.

In 10 years as an FBS-level offensive coordinator and head coach, McElwain has only had one starting QB that he recruited out of high school. That was AJ McCarron, who Mac coached for one season in 2011.
his QBs:
2007 - Fresno St - Brandstater
2008 - Alabama - John Parker Wilson
2009-10 - Alabama - Greg McElroy
2011 - Alabama - AJ McCarron
2012-2014 - Colorado St - Garrett Grayson
2015 - UF - Grier/Harris
2016 - UF - Del Rio/Appleby

Wow. Add in the fact the Nuss sucks and I can see why we have trouble getting elite QBs. Hell the top QB that we can get in Milton doesn't have an offer from us. No wonder Mac can't recruit the position.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Yeah posted this up in the box this morning....

Makes perfect sense of why Mac is going after terrible grad transfer QBs

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Anybody have some positive advice? Or some list of better HBC that would actually come to UF?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna brought this up in a thread yesterday. A couple of pumpers tried to spin it.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
No up-spin or down-spin here, just cold reality. We are heading into Mac's third season and we are still as unsettled at QB as we were when he first stepped onto campus. Some would say that with the loss of Will Grier, we are actually worse off than we were back then. How many more bottom 10 finishes in total O must we have before a change is made?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No up-spin or down-spin here, just cold reality. We are heading into Mac's third season and we are still as unsettled at QB as we were when he first stepped onto campus. Some would say that with the loss of Will Grier, we are actually worse off than we were back then. How many more bottom 10 finishes in total O must we have before a change is made?

IMO this is his last year to have a functional offense. If it doesn't happen this year it's never happening.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Could that list of qb's be more freakin depressing? Dayum

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Some would say that with the loss of Will Grier, we are actually worse off than we were back then.
Others would say that Grier only had 5 good quarters and was too much of a problem to keep around:headslap:.....Meanwhile WVU is picked to win 10 plus games next season with hardly any returning starters on defense.....I wonder why...

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This is the year Mac shows he can coach. He rode the defense the last two years. Year 3 will tell us all we need to know starting with Mich. That game is a must win for Mac.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
This is the year Mac shows he can coach. He rode the defense the last two years. Year 3 will tell us all we need to know starting with Mich. That game is a must win for Mac.

I agree completely with T Rex. Both Franks and Trask have the potential to be great quarterbacks. Mac will have had both for 1½ years when we play Meat Chicken. One or both of them should be ready. If the offense continues to play like a high school team we'll know Mac can't cut it. If the offense plays to win, I'm ready to start pumping.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Others would say that Grier only had 5 good quarters and was too much of a problem to keep around:headslap:.....Meanwhile WVU is picked to win 10 plus games next season with hardly any returning starters on defense.....I wonder why...

I agree with you on Grier, he looked like he was going to be good. But I hope he disappoints at WVU, I'm tired of seeing our QBs transfer and be successful for someone else.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
IMO this is his last year to have a functional offense. If it doesn't happen this year it's never happening.

Fully agree. Especially given we now have a functioning OL; we have RBs going 2-3 deep, and a group of WR/TE that can catch the ball downfield. He's put together a roster on offense that should get it done...except for the obvious unknown at QB. My point is, he had little to nothing on Offense when he arrived, and he's done well at getting the other positions filled - and you're right, year 3 we should also have an answer at QB by now.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The other thing troubling about that list? Only Grier is an elite talent. The rest of those guys are the hard working, overachieving type which is what Jake Allen is. Thankfully, Franks is an elite talent physically and Trask can sling it as well.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Because.....B12 doesn't need defense?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Because they won 10 games this past season with the 79th ranked total defense

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
He's never really had to recruit them. Add in Nuss's ability to regress a QBs ability and stats and here we are.

In 10 years as an FBS-level offensive coordinator and head coach, McElwain has only had one starting QB that he recruited out of high school. That was AJ McCarron, who Mac coached for one season in 2011.
his QBs:
2007 - Fresno St - Brandstater
2008 - Alabama - John Parker Wilson
2009-10 - Alabama - Greg McElroy
2011 - Alabama - AJ McCarron
2012-2014 - Colorado St - Garrett Grayson
2015 - UF - Grier/Harris
2016 - UF - Del Rio/Appleby

Wow. Add in the fact the Nuss sucks and I can see why we have trouble getting elite QBs. Hell the top QB that we can get in Milton doesn't have an offer from us. No wonder Mac can't recruit the position.

So what you are saying is that in a 1 year stint at Fresno State a 4 year stint at UAL and a two year Stint at Colorado State and a 2 year stint at UF, he only started one QB he recruited to that school.

1. Do you find that unusual? Particularly at UAL wouldn't you expect not to need to start a young QB and to have someone on the roster who could do that job.

2. Maybe the real criticism hinted at by these facts is that McElwain appears very very reticent to start young QBs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.