This shouldn’t even be possible

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Stained concrete
Got an old buddy that owns a concrete company. He can make it look like damn near anything.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
16 Stories below Midtown Manhatten

zqhllvu4kvc81.jpg

Somehow found my way to the sub-reddit called 'interestingasf__k' (fill in the blanks) with that image. Within it was a link to an article in TheAtlantic (linked in my 16 Stories below)....from 2013. From the Atlantic article:

A huge public works project is currently under construction in New York City, connecting Long Island to Manhattan's East Side. Deep underground, rail tunnels are extending from Sunnyside, Queens, to a new Long Island Rail Road terminal being excavated beneath Grand Central Terminal. Construction began in 2007, with an estimated cost of $6.3 billion and completion date of 2013. Since then, the cost estimate has been raised to $8.4 billion, and the completion date moved back to 2019. When finished, the line will accommodate 24 trains per hour at peak traffic, cutting down on commute times from Long Island, and opening up access to John F. Kennedy International Airport from Manhattan's East Side. Collected here are images of the progress to date, deep beneath Queens and Manhattan.

So at this point, who knows if it is still under way or completed (ha!) and for how much $$. Still, the sub-reddit had commentary from a guy who worked down there prior to 2013, and the Atlantic article has many more cool pics from the in-process aspects of 2013. If you're interested.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This sounds crazy until you find out he was making $60 million a day.

He couldn't put it in the bank so he was just burying money everywhere. According to a show I recently watched about people searching for the remnants, at one point 20% of all $100 bills in circulation were buried in Columbia. It is estimated that something like $1 billion a year was eaten by rats.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
A crater on Mars that is full of frozen water and is nearly 2km deep. Named Korolev.

FKVvbybVQAElYFy

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
My favorite thread.

When I was about 8-9 years old, I lived in small town in Florida. Never any excitement. No police but had a volunteer fire department. There was a house fire, the first in so many years no one on the scene could remember the last one. All the volunteer fire fighters showed up as well as half the town. We waited for about 10 minutes until the volunteer firemen realized no one thought to bring the fire truck with the water. So a couple of them went back to town, which was 5 minutes away. 30 minutes later they come back without the fire truck. None of them could find the keys to the truck.

We just sat around and watched the house finish burning down.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Mount Rushmore before the Presidents were carved in. It was called Six Grandfathers at this point (c. 1905).

upload_2022-2-5_22-31-38.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Widely regarded as a pivotal moment in popular music history, Woodstock Music and Art Fair was a music festival that took place in August 1969. Even though the festival organizers predicted no more than 50,000 people would attend the event, over 400,000 music lovers showed up at the venue.

upload_2022-2-5_22-34-52.jpeg

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite thread.

When I was about 8-9 years old, I lived in small town in Florida. Never any excitement. No police but had a volunteer fire department. There was a house fire, the first in so many years no one on the scene could remember the last one. All the volunteer fire fighters showed up as well as half the town. We waited for about 10 minutes until the volunteer firemen realized no one thought to bring the fire truck with the water. So a couple of them went back to town, which was 5 minutes away. 30 minutes later they come back without the fire truck. None of them could find the keys to the truck.

That sounds like the volunteer fire departments here in north central Florida but they always save the porches....:bwahaha:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My favorite thread.

That sounds like the volunteer fire departments here in north central Florida but they always save the porches....:bwahaha:

When I was dating Mrs. Nalt there was a house fire in the small Northeast Alabama town where she lived. The house belonged to my FIL's business partner. The volunteer fire department showed up with their 1958 Ford pumper which had the water pump mounted on the front bumper. The pump froze up driving the ~2-1/2 miles from the station to the scene. Everyone just stood around watching the house burn down.

The funny part though was any time someone was walking near the electric power lines which had fallen to the ground, there would be 4 or 5 old-timers that would start saying, "Watch that waar, at thang's hot!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator