Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The thing that KT seems to lack for me is "quick instinct". He's a decent back, but that instinct of knowing when to cut up field, when to cut back, is just not there. Well, at least he's not showing it. There were several plays where if he would have made a quick cut north/south he could have had ten yards. Instead, he follows his blockers too long, dances for a second, then gets stopped far shorter than he should have. If our offensive line is not the best, why are you following them so long to the outside?

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He was actually very good in the Tennessee game. He made the first guy miss, hit holes far faster than usual, ran hard, and didn't go down with the first shot. He catches well. And, most of all, he is a solid blocker and last line of defense behind an extraordinarily young SEC offensive line.When he did break through, he ripped a very long run - a run that we don't get to ignore because it supports the thesis.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n288615 said:
He has a very good shot at playing in the NFL. He has good vision and balance and decent (not great) power. He's also legacy. The NFL chews up and spits out RB faster than any position so there is always a need.

he will play in the NFL. Some of Yall round here are crazy.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I heard he's in danger of making a C in English Lit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We've had spotty play from the offensive line for some time now. It fortunately came together against Tennessee, but that's one game. Taylor hasn't been dealt the best of hands up until now. He deserves more time IMO. He's an instinctual runner, far more so than Fournette, who reminds me of C-4 with a sixth gear and bit more upper body. If Will can make more of the passes that he should make, esp the TE over the middle, it'll open up holes for Taylor.

BTW, we are beating Ole Miss. I personally guarantee it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Our best back. When there is no hole he looks for one. The two young guys run to where its supposed to be. KT had over 100 yards on 19 carries against UT. Damned glad we have him.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like KT and think he's a solid RB. He's averaging less than 15 carries a game and some guys need more carries to get in a flow. He had 19 for 102 yards against UT for an average over 5. Keep feeding him the ball and he'll produce. I like the young guys too, but KT is our best back this year, running, catching and blocking - he should get the lion's share of touches just like in the UT game.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Put it this way, we and whichever QB is playing today would be screwed without him IMO

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n289578 said:
I like KT and think he's a solid RB. He's averaging less than 15 carries a game and some guys need more carries to get in a flow. He had 19 for 102 yards against UT for an average over 5. Keep feeding him the ball and he'll produce. I like the young guys too, but KT is our best back this year, running, catching and blocking - he should get the lion's share of touches just like in the UT game.

Rewatched the game again and he actually ran it pretty well. He had to make someone miss in the backfield or at the line almost every run.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I thought he played better than usual against UT. Found a seam and ran hard. I'm not yet throwing dirt on his grave at this point.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Hm, thinking he is above average. Good job tonight to all the boys!

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
27 carries 83 yds. 3.1 yds per carry tonight. He's not lighting it up, but is enough of a credible running threat to give us a balanced attack.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He does a good job. He is hampered by an O line that, although making great strides, isn't making huge holes for him. Also, he simply doesn't look as big as his dad did. What is he, about 5-10, 200 maybe?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I couldn't find the other thread, so I'm fine with a merge.

Kelvin is running hard, holding on to the ball, and Mac knows how to use him.

That's all I have to say about that.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
He grinded out some tough yards last night. I wish they would get him involved in the passing game a little more. That little flare out of the backfield has been open all year.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know KT or the family so I'm not his apologist but I think you guys are underestimating KTs blocking ability. He had another great block on aTD pass play. On another note I saw Fournete run great but suck on pass pro. Obviously KT is not the better back but something to think about in a team sport

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he waits for a chance to run behind the line once they get stronger. Id like to see the difference of what those guys look like next year and see him running with actual holes to hit.

As it is, he is doing a great job holding the ball, making people miss (in the backfield unfortunately)/and getting what he can with very lil daylight. He has become an absolute beast in.pass pro. Given that he was poor last year, this shows effort, prep and willpower.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n290685 said:
I hope he waits for a chance to run behind the line once they get stronger. Id like to see the difference of what those guys look like next year and see him running with actual holes to hit.

As it is, he is doing a great job holding the ball, making people miss (in the backfield unfortunately)/and getting what he can with very lil daylight. He has become an absolute beast in.pass pro. Given that he was poor last year, this shows effort, prep and willpower.
Agreed....shows his character. Very proud of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator