Thoughts on Mullen hire

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Many have held out hope that Mullen could take us to the next level, while the rest of us have been disgruntled about his inability to beat the dwags and recruit at a higher level. Well, he cleared a huge hurdle yesterday. I give no Fuchs how depleted the dwags were, as we’ve dealt with much worse situations over the past decade.
Think about the folks hired about the time we hired Mullen. Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, Jeremy Pruitt? PJ Fleck, James Franklin, Willie Taggart were hired right around that time. Mike Norvell was available.
I’ve said numerous times after my initial disappointment with the hire that he was the right choice. We were desperate for improvement but more importantly some stability after the previous two dumbasses. I’d like to see the needed improvement in recruiting, but I’m pretty pleased with the product on the field (other than Grantham’s unit, that’s for another time).
Did he buy himself some time with the naysayers? Thoughts?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He already has time with the administration. Ask Donkey about naysayers. Highly doubtful.

Oh and Dan don't even think about losing to Arky and Franks next week.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I thought the Mullen hire was a lazy move by Stricklin after the Chip Kelly fiasco. I wanted Scott Frost from the beginning. I have to say now, though, Dan was the right choice.

Edit: Don't forget, Brohm was available, too. Kinda glad we didn't go after him.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't want Mullen, but I'm man enough to admit he's a thousand times better than Muschamp or Sharkboy and is doing better than I expected so quickly. He still needs to get his act together as far as recruiting goes. You can only build a team so far pillaging the transfer portal. At some point you need to get it done on the recruiting trail. I think he's got an excellent mind for offense, but he's also too loyal to friends in the coaching business. We have 2-3 assistants that need to be shown the exit door but he won't pull the trigger because he overvalues continuity. We'll see going forward. Obviously he isn't getting fired after beating UGA unless he does something extremely stupid over the next several weeks. I like his passion. The kids obviously feed off it. That's about all I got.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I thought the Mullen hire was a lazy move by Stricklin after the Chip Kelly fiasco. I wanted Scott Frost from the beginning. I have to say now, though, Dan was the right hire.

Edit: Don't forget, Brohm was available, too. Kind glad we didn't go after him.

I was on the Scott Frost train as well, and still think he'd have done well here - coming from UCF and already having a recruiting presence in Florida. Mullen was indeed a "lazy hire" by Stricklin, but it was a safe hire. If he gets rid of some of the assistant dead weight (mainly Grantham and English) along w replacing Knox with a competent recruiter, I think we could see the potential to take the next step. Yesterday was a big win, but we need to see consistency and improvements in a few areas (can we beat UGA two years in a row? will our recruiting improve? will Mullen make staff changes?).

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't follow recruiting much but from the few times I peek in that thread it seems we're on an uptick. Hopefully Dan continues to piece it together. I think its one of those things like catching a wave where you paddle your ass off to catch it then once you do its a good ride. Good players want to go where they can play and win, and teams win because they have good players.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I peek in that thread it seems we're on an uptick. .
We are not. Only if you mean from zero five stars to one. But we had one 5* last year, two depending on the service.

Championships is the standard. this is still the flagship university in the state with the most talent in the country.

That being said, fvkk all dwags.

Last edited:

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m interested to see how recruiting changes once the football facility is up and running, everyone we need to fight for recruits have Taj Mahals for their players meanwhile we’re stuck with the Motel 6.
Thanks Foley.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I wasn’t wild about the Mullen hire and I’m still not. He’s a very average recruiter with high school kids and above average using the transfer portal. He’s had some hits and a couple misses where the portal is concerned. I think we could use upgrades at several assistant positions, Dwag Choker, English, Knox, Robinson, and even Hevesy if he can’t get his shyt together. I will say that I don’t know that we could’ve hired anyone else who could’ve stopped the bleeding like Mullen did when we hired him.

I guess we will see how the rest of the season goes, then if there are any changes in the off-season to the staff. There’s no reason we shouldn’t finish the regular season with a trip to Atlanta, but it’ll be up to Mullen to keep the kids focused on the prize.

Next season he needs to keep the momentum going and beat Bangz again.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen was indeed a safe hire. I wasn’t happy about it and still on the fence but yesterday was glorious. I think yesterday’s win was more on Brian Johnson & Trask than Mullen. Mullen continues to insist EJ get in and run up the middle even though we are clicking. I agree he’s also a “earned it” guy and will play upper class men than talent. He’s a sucker for his buddies.

Win a fuchsing championship this year and make me eat crow.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn’t high on Mullen initially when he was hired, but I was cautiously optimistic, as I am with most new coaches. He has exceeded my expectations with his player development and playcalling. He seems to do so much more with rosters that are considered lesser on paper to our rivals. I have no doubt he’ll win championships here once recruiting REALLY takes off in the coming years.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Another "Are you in on Cousin Eddie Hire" thread. Interesting that it comes up now, LOL, but I get it. Just like had we lost yesterday, would it have been the "Fire Cousin Eddie" thread.

Either way, ONE game does not a trend make. Those of us who think he is a terrible game manager still have seen no difference. It is interesting that even those who are in on Cousin Eddie say on a weekly basis that he does some of the screwiest things every week. Even yesterday many scratching their heads, win or lose. I can cite his ridiculous taking of a delay of game penalty at the end of the game when he still had a timeout left and was going to kick a FG regardless. A waste of 5 yards. But hey we won so no one cares. Those things I do care about. That is why I will never be on his bandwagon b/c that will not change

There is an argument that he does compete a little better with less, but WHY does he always get less? and why does he always seem to have a sub standard coaching staff?

ONE week does not a trend make or a mind change. the things I don;t like are still there and are very unlikely to change. But continue winning 9.10, 11 games and it will meet the masses hopes. But the one thing we can all agree on is that until we have competent admin and a total commitment to win, we will never reach the heights we all hope for.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I have no doubt he’ll win championships here once recruiting REALLY takes off in the coming years.
What makes you think recruiting will suddenly take off? I just don't see any reason to think that. Overall the Mullen era has been positive, but the recruiting isn't where it needs to be if we're going to be playoff contenders. I expect future classes ranked 8 to 15, year in and year out. That's not good enough.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I took a glass half full type of approach to Mullen being hired, he was our man might as well get behind him with some positive vibes.
Looking back to what was in the pool of available Head Coaches I don't see where we could have done any better. The man can flat out coach offense and he seems to have a nack of developing players ,especially Q.B.
Winning and a new football complex will be positive for recruiting.
Could he do better with his assistant coach hires? Is Grantham really as bad as people here think?
I think he has good coaches for the most part and Grantham is doing as well as most coaches could do with the talent level we have right now.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
What makes you think recruiting will suddenly take off? I just don't see any reason to think that. Overall the Mullen era has been positive, but the recruiting isn't where it needs to be if we're going to be playoff contenders. I expect future classes ranked 8 to 15, year in and year out. That's not good enough.

The biggest thing I can say to this theory wise is the whole facilities issue. Yes, our facility is actually under construction at this time. We do have crap facilities compared with other major programs. Perhaps quotes we saw with the locker room renovations last year ("we ain't in the po house no more"), is something that recruits may be thinking. Even if it leads to one or two higher recruits, that might at least help.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest thing I can say to this theory wise is the whole facilities issue. Yes, our facility is actually under construction at this time. We do have crap facilities compared with other major programs. Perhaps quotes we saw with the locker room renovations last year ("we ain't in the po house no more"), is something that recruits may be thinking. Even if it leads to one or two higher recruits, that might at least help.
I used to think that, but I'm leaning now to the idea that recruits just don't like Mullen and his staff that much. Some coaches know how to talk to kids and some don't.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Mullen keeps ticking off all the requirements by the haters and yet..............we do know he is a QB coach and can coach them up. His offense with a 2 star running it is a sight to behold. Kirby is proof that all the talent in the world cannot hide mediocre coaching. Dan is proof of the opposite. We have seen improvement each year. But of course he shoulda had us competing for titles from day one. We beat uga's ass good and still read negative shttt about our team and staff. Im guessing its a hangover from you know what.............

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen keeps ticking off all the requirements by the haters and yet..............we do know he is a QB coach and can coach them up. His offense with a 2 star running it is a sight to behold. Kirby is proof that all the talent in the world cannot hide mediocre coaching. Dan is proof of the opposite. We have seen improvement each year. But of course he shoulda had us competing for titles from day one. We beat uga's ass good and still read negative shttt about our team and staff. Im guessing its a hangover from you know what.............
:wag:

Good to have you back doing what you do best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.