Thoughts on Mullen hire

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I actually liked the hire initially, but soured last year after the @$$ sniffer's loss. The bare minimum for him this year was not to lose to Bimbo or Kirby Dumb. Unfortunately he managed to lose to Bimbo, but finally beat Kirby Dumb.

That being said, it feels like Mullen caught lightning in a bottle with Kyle Trask. He literally had to lose his starting QB to be convinced to play Trask. What happens next year when Trask and Pitts are gone, and he finally will be forced to have a product on the field that he entirely recruited? Will see.

Also let us not forget what a $hit show the leghumpers were. We beat them, but they also regressed significantly.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I used to think that, but I'm leaning now to the idea that recruits just don't like Mullen and his staff that much. Some coaches know how to talk to kids and some don't.

The only way to know for sure, for good or for bad, is to see what happens when we get the facility. We've both conceded previously that Mullen is here to stay for a few years barring a losing record (especially when we make Atlanta this year). So, we will end up seeing what happens.

Although, I don't think that he gets enough credit for bringing in some big name transfers like Lingard, Bowman, Grimes, and Jefferson. Also getting some decent depth (and I mean decent, not world beaters) with Dunlap and Shuler. Then there's also guys like Greenard. Since none of these transfers reflect in recruiting rankings, their impact (discussing recruited talent) does not seem to be mentioned as much as it should.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I won’t go into how much I didn’t want DM. All I can say so far is he has done more than any single one of us thought he would. And we are still rising. Remember all the talk about how Year 3 was going to be a huge step backwards? I do.

He has done better than we ever imagined....and as well or better than any other available coach would have done in the first 3 years.

Good God Almighty.....we could have had fvvcking Chip, Willlllllie, or Norvillllle!!! And some of you would have been pissing your pants with excitement.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Grimes somehow always gets added to that list.

What has he done exactly?

Dropped some passes, but then had at least one 100 yard game and some big TD's including that awesome catch yesterday. Plus, as a former 5-star (rivals) recruit, he's added because if we got him as a recruit and he busted, it wouldn't change a recruiting classes ranking. Meanwhile, as a transfer, that 5-star rating isn't considered.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There was and is still a reason Spurrier quit at UF.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Shared the ball with about 11 other targets.
I think he is big, strong and blocks well. He is pretty good depth for us and occasionally makes a good catch.

But he hasnt set the world on fire. Teams arent aftaid of him.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think he is big, strong and blocks well. He is pretty good depth for us and occasionally makes a good catch.

But he hasnt set the world on fire. Teams arent aftaid of him.

He hasn’t, agreed. But he is contributing to a very dynamic offense. He is doing his part.

Also Shorter is another similar large target. Deemed a disappointment at Penn State yet contributing here (2 games in a row with TD’s) without lighting it up.

The cumulative effect of the depth of solid contributors is apparent.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
He hasn’t, agreed. But he is contributing to a very dynamic offense. He is doing his part.

Also Shorter is another similar large target. Deemed a disappointment at Penn State yet contributing here (2 games in a row with TD’s) without lighting it up.

The cumulative effect of the depth of solid contributors is apparent.

Thank you, another 5 star guy brought in. Shorter though has seen increasing contributions over the year. It will probably even increase with a spring/fall camp under his belt. Much less the departures of Grimes, Toney, Pitts, etc.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think this was a huge win and Mullen has exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. I don't think we'll ever win anything with Grantham coaching the defensive side of the ball. I think we're recruiting good enough players to win it all we're just not balancing out our roster like a contender should. I think mullen's a good enough coach but if he would shcitcan Grantham and start loading up on big bodies on the dline ( not necessarily higher rated players)to go with what we have now, I think we'd compete every year for the sec.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I've never been unhappy about the Mullen hire just not ecstatic over it. In some regards he has made chicken salad from chicken sh1t with the roster BUT he is responsible for more than 3/4 of the current players on the roster so lets not forget that...

With regards to bringing in good transfers I agree he has done well but it still feels sometimes like were sticking a finger in a hole trying to stop a leak instead of adding to a full , talented and developing roster.

It's also ironic that we have done a complete 180 degree turn on talent when it comes to offense vs defense since 2012 or so. Imbalance like that will lead to eventual collapse and that falls squarely into our recruiters laps. Better tighten up that defensive recruiting Dan or you'll be leaving with the guys who aren't getting it done for you.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Needs to dump some staff and hire a new DC.

English has to go and just bring in a couple of recruiters to replace Robinson.

For everyone who hates Knox and Billy G. The one thing I'll say is our backs have actually played really well and are excellent at pass blocking. The receivers outside of head case Copeland are improving and solid blockers. Sometimes it's.better to have coaching then recruiters as long as the rest of the staff can recruit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.