Thoughts on Mullen hire

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Barn doesnt compete every year and never would. If you have five teams in your conference w more talent you just get lucky occasionally but lose to thw more talented teams most of the time.... like Barn and Kentucky do.

The goal at UF is to be Bammer, OSU or Clemson, not fuchsing Barn or KY.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
@gatordad3 Thanks for digging up that "I am offically done" thread from FF. Funny stuff there. FF never happy no matter if we win. Complain about not beating UGA for 3 years and then complain when we actually own and destroy them. Can never win either way.
From what I gather you're still a young'en but you're slippin!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Barn doesnt compete every year and never would. If you have five teams in your conference w more talent you just get lucky occasionally but lose to thw more talented teams most of the time.... like Barn and Kentucky do.

We’re not ever going to be like those programs. We were for a brief interval but that’s not the goal of the administration these days. We can still win an occasional title with a few special players on a solid roster but we’re foolish to think otherwise.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I was very unhappy when DM was hired, came around quite a bit last year, but like every fan, was waiting to see if he could beat the dwags and recruit better. We just beat the crap out of our biggest rival and it looks like this will be our best class in a long time.

Not much to complain about at this point other than his DC choice, and I still am bothered by the fact that the Galloping Giraffe would likely be on the other side of the field come Saturday if not for his injury. It's hard to comprehend not being able to see Trask was the better QB when you are a supposed QB whisperer. But as they say, all's well that ends well. Now watch, just when we are fully on board the Mullen love-fest, he will go out and lose 2 of our remaining games. I sure as hell hope not.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We’re not ever going to be like those programs. We were for a brief interval but that’s not the goal of the administration these days. We can still win an occasional title with a few special players on a solid roster but we’re foolish to think otherwise.

I agree. There are a few programs, two or three, committed to being football machines, and who have coaches who can deliver. There are others not as committed who in a special year get lucky, strike gold with a QB, or a few other special players and win it all, but they do so generally only once and then they fade back to almost but not quite. Just look at the last decade of National Champs. That's us.

I think the leg humpers are in that category, and maybe Kirby is not good enough to sustain even that. At least I'd like to think so. May we beat the hell out of them every year. And maybe in a magical year we strike gold again.

The administration wants us to climb the college academic ladder not the football ladder. They want to do enough to keep the money flowing. That's plenty for them.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My entire household loved the hire and we all still do.

He was the best available and regardless of availability, the best for Florida.

It's a long game and consistancy and stability matters.

#Gator Bait

:chomp:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm skeptical about ANY coach until they actually win something. I was skeptical about Urban Meyer until 1/8/2007.

I also never thought Dabo would never win a title. He proved me wrong.

I still think Dabo is a mediocre coach. BUT what he does well is get elite QUARTERBACKS. Watson, Lawrence, DJ, etc...

3 or 4 in a row. DJ was the number 1 QB in the high school last year.

The reason Bama has been on a tear over the last 4 or 5 years is QB play.

Ohio State has had elite QB play over the last 5 years.

Oklahoma has had elite QBs over the last few years. They don’t this year.

LSU won it all last year because of QB.

Kirby sucks at QB development and mismanages QBs. They can have 5*s everywhere and it’s not going to matter because he can’t develop or manage elite QBs.

Mullen develops quarterbacks well and Trask is elite. We are winning because our QB is elite.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't like the hire but I give him credit for making enough good calls to put the program on stable footing.

Will we ever be Bama, Clemson or OSU........ no, but that's more on the administration than coach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

One note on that play, which I haven't seen discussed but is very fitting for this particular thread. Notice the time left(16 seconds), and the fact that we have no timeouts. A bobbled/fumbled snap or sack likely ends the half right there considering they'd have to re-spot the ball. At a minimum, we'd be rushing a FG unit on to the field, and still probably wouldn't have gotten it off. The point is, for all the talk of Mullen lacking the intensity and killer instinct, he showed exactly that with this play. Not only the perfect play call and execution, but also a clear message that we had no interest in letting the game come to us, even up 10 and getting the opening possession of the second half. He basically said we're getting 7, even if it potentially costs us an easy 3. He did something similar in the waning moments against Usce this year as well. But with a game of this magnitude, it was more impressive to me.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We were. And will be again soon.

Look Aubarn doesn't recruit THAT well, but do you think there is some rule that he can't recruit as well as Barn?
Actually yes there is a rule of sorts. Our academic standards, even for student atheletes (SIC), means we can't take some of those players. It is not an even playing field and I sort of like it that way.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

Don't want to be Bammer, paying players by buying Mama a house. Don't know how Dabo recruits. Clemson is a state university so they probably have the same restrictions as USC(e).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't want to be Bammer, paying players by buying Mama a house. Don't know how Dabo recruits. Clemson is a state university so they probably have the same restrictions as USC(e).
We used to outrecruit everyone. We never had to pay players.

only losers claimed we were paying players back then.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Im impressed how he throws our 2nd team QB in there when Kyle is killing it. He realizes that 1. #2 needs to feel valued. 2. #2 needs to be ready at ANY time cause one play and he IS #1
This post certainly has me thinking of number 2.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I said it then and time has proven it correct, he was the best that we could obtain. Now I want better assistants and better recruiting. Our academics won't allow us to get some players, but we can have a very good program. Perhaps if allowed we need a development program focused on Florida High Schools and making sure players who have a mutual interest have decent academics as well. Many want colleges to be diverse so such a program might be sold as encouraging some to success at UF.

Joejoe

Nov 10, 2020
For all the talk of inferior recruiting, Mullen has fewer losses than Kirby since taking over. Maybe coaching and development actually matter?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For all the talk of inferior recruiting, Mullen has fewer losses than Kirby since taking over. Maybe coaching and development actually matter?
Mostly because Mullen hasn't lost to Alabama in the SECG or playoff. What are their regular season records? How many trophies or playoffs for Mullens vs Shart?

Welcome aboard. Post often. Bring your friends and sense of sarcasm.

I'd love to see Shart disintegrate, the building catch on fire, then a meteor hit Athens. Let's hope last week is the beginning of one of those.

Joejoe

Nov 10, 2020
Mostly because Mullen hasn't lost to Alabama in the SECG or playoff. What are their regular season records? How many trophies or playoffs for Mullens vs Shart?

Welcome aboard. Post often. Bring your friends and sense of sarcasm.

I'd love to see Shart disintegrate, the building catch on fire, then a meteor hit Athens. Let's hope last week is the beginning of one of those.

That’s fair, but they better start developing that talent if they want to hang with us in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb