Thoughts on the Eastern Michigan game?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I really liked we kept throwing deep even with the big lead. I am still reserving some judgment on the offense until I see it next week against an improved KY defense because it did seem like we were playing against air almost with how bad that defense was. I liked that Burton was actually catching what was thrown to him this game but McGee is a big loss.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Decent first game. Plenty to improve and at least one serious injury. Too many bubble screens and long throws across the field.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n43791 said:
Decent first game. Plenty to improve and at least one serious injury. Too many bubble screens and long throws across the field.

That makes me a little nervous also but I am glad we get the KY game and at least a defense with a pulse so we know where we really stand going into the Bama game. If we throttle KY that will be a real good sign.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Red zone efficiency...that has to improve...

Also, Driskel has to not lock on his target as better defenses will jump those long routes

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Loved it. Running game looked like I thought it would. Driskel looked like I thought he would. Demarcus Robinson. WOW. Mcgee does hurt and hopefully we get Humphries back for Bama. All in all great win.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Demarcus Robinson is a beast. I'd like to see a couple more down field throws but I'm sure the horizontal throws were by design to get Driskel comfortable.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
chferg said:

Also, Driskel has to not lock on his target as better defenses will jump those long routes
Right! If we were playing Bama tonight, Jeff would have thrown 2 INTs.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
VulcanAlex;n43791 said:

What else do you do when the DBs are lining up 10-15 yards off the WRs? I feel if they was playing on the WRs more we would have had more down the field passing.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Today was a good warmup game for us. It was a good game to see how our line reacts to blitz's, to see if Jeff has command of the offense and we played a lot of people.

I watched a little of the KY game today and they were ahead in the 2nd half, 20-7 against Ohio. They should be another good warmup for Bama.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if we will try and get that freshman TE involved that caught some passes in the Spring Game - it looked like there was some potential there.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Mudd said:
VulcanAlex;n43791 said:

What else do you do when the DBs are lining up 10-15 yards off the WRs? I feel if they was playing on the WRs more we would have had more down the field passing.
Mudd is spot on, also screens are glorified run plays, it keeps the defense from loading the box hence why we had three backs bust off big runs

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was very happy to see us CRUSH a cupcake, its been way to long. Kentucky will be a better test next week.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
chferg said:

Every college QB does that. Mariota is going to be a top 10 pick and he still does it. Manziel is in the NFL and he does it as well. So does Winston. That habit probably won't be broken unless he develops in the NFL.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Defense looked great. They missed on a few open receivers, but we didn't give em much. The offense looked solid. It was nice to see us hit all of those big runs up the middle. Good depth in the backfield. Driskel looked fair, but as someone already mentioned, we can't be throwing the ball 40 yards across the field against SEC defenses and he did get back to his old ways a few times. Seems like he's still struggling a bit when his primary receiver isn't open. The WRs finally looked like the type of players we're used to seeing in the orange and blue. Spread the ball around extremely well, keeping everyone involved. That should pay huge dividends in practice and on the recruiting front. Kicking game was good along with the returns, but we looked the worst I've seen in the WM era on kick coverage. Need to get that fixed this week. All in all, a great day (other than the injury) and my hopes are high. Go Gators!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My thoughts:

1. David Sharpe looked good. He is physically imposing. On a couple of plays he moved his guy 5-6 yards. He may be better than Humphries by the end of the year.

2. D-Rob needs the ball more. He is clearly on another level than the other receivers. He can do things the others can't.

3. Tyler Moore doesn't need to be playing. I counted at least 3 plays where he did his bullfighter impersonation by getting beat by a DTs swim move.

4. Quincy Wilson need to teach Tabor how to jam a receiver. I watched Wilson jam his guy a number of times only to watch the receiver struggle to get free. Tabor did his normal weak jam allowing the receiver to get a step on him. Still, Tabor is far more fluid with his hips than Wilson.

5. Neiron ball looks fast. Extremely fast. He continues playing at that speed he is going to have a good year.

6. Clay Burton was very impressive catching everything thrown at him and even making a diving catch. It seems Driskel trusts him. It is clear the guy has worked very hard on catching the football. Props to him.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;43936 said:
My thoughts: 1. David Sharpe looked good. He is physically imposing. On a couple of plays he moved his guy 5-6 yards. He may be better than Humphries by the end of the year. 2. D-Rob needs the ball more. He is clearly on another level than the other receivers. He can do things the others can't. 3. Tyler Moore doesn't need to be playing. I counted at least 3 plays where he did his bullfighter impersonation by getting beat by a DTs swim move. 4. Quincy Wilson need to teach Tabor how to jam a receiver. I watched Wilson jam his guy a number of times only to watch the receiver struggle to get free. Tabor did his normal weak jam allowing the receiver to get a step on him. Still, Tabor is far more fluid with his hips than Wilson. 5. Neiron ball looks fast. Extremely fast. He continues playing at that speed he is going to have a good year. 6. Clay Burton was very impressive catching everything thrown at him and even making a diving catch. It seems Driskel trusts him. It is clear the guy has worked very hard on catching the football. Props to him.

This entire post is spot on.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Matt Jones first step looked pretty good.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30 said:
My thoughts:

1. David Sharpe looked good. He is physically imposing. On a couple of plays he moved his guy 5-6 yards. He may be better than Humphries by the end of the year.

2. D-Rob needs the ball more. He is clearly on another level than the other receivers. He can do things the others can't.

3. Tyler Moore doesn't need to be playing. I counted at least 3 plays where he did his bullfighter impersonation by getting beat by a DTs swim move.

4. Quincy Wilson need to teach Tabor how to jam a receiver. I watched Wilson jam his guy a number of times only to watch the receiver struggle to get free. Tabor did his normal weak jam allowing the receiver to get a step on him. Still, Tabor is far more fluid with his hips than Wilson.

5. Neiron ball looks fast. Extremely fast. He continues playing at that speed he is going to have a good year.

6. Clay Burton was very impressive catching everything thrown at him and even making a diving catch. It seems Driskel trusts him. It is clear the guy has worked very hard on catching the football. Props to him.
Spot on.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was impressed with driskel the most, debose and Dunbar dropped a couple deep balls that should have been caught. I think driskel is going to be even better as the season progresses. We did what we we re supposed to do in all phases.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
I thought Matt Jones first step looked pretty good.
It always does when there is a hole you can drive a truck through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.