Tim Brewster to coach TE's

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
On a serious note... would you agree that Mullen is the type that will upgrade when the opportunity presents itself but will not create an opportunity? For instance, Turner, Gray, and Brewster all seem to be as good or better than their predecessor (I’d argue Sunseri is a good coach but his recruiting success at Bama was a result of that machine - not him). With that said, not one of those situations were a result of him moving on from an underperformer - they left of their own accord. So basically... we’ll never be rid of English or Knox because no one will hire them away, they certainly are not about to leave this sweet paycheck, and Mullen is not likely to fire them. It’s an artificial cap placed on Mullen by his own decision making - my take anyhow (and admittedly agreed with and borrowed from @Durty South Swamp , I believe, in another thread).

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Rivals sh@t on us on both ESD and NSD braying to the nation that we were the worst losers on both days. We have the #8 class. Everybody misses on some targets but Rivals clearly has a boner for the Gators calling us out over everyone else - twice. Must be an assnole running that place.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
On a serious note... would you agree that Mullen is the type that will upgrade when the opportunity presents itself but will not create an opportunity? For instance, Turner, Gray, and Brewster all seem to be as good or better than their predecessor (I’d argue Sunseri is a good coach but his recruiting success at Bama was a result of that machine - not him). With that said, not one of those situations were a result of him moving on from an underperformer - they left of their own accord. So basically... we’ll never be rid of English or Knox because no one will hire them away, they certainly are not about to leave this sweet paycheck, and Mullen is not likely to fire them. It’s an artificial cap placed on Mullen by his own decision making - my take anyhow (and admittedly agreed with and borrowed from @Durty South Swamp , I believe, in another thread).

Appears to be the case.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rivals sh@t on us on both ESD and NSD braying to the nation that we were the worst losers on both days. We have the #8 class. Everybody misses on some targets but Rivals clearly has a boner for the Gators calling us out over everyone else - twice. Must be an assnole running that place.
I think perhaps it was going 1-9 and then 1-8 that may have done it.

I was assured we had plenty of #SecretCommits.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Uhhh... yeah. That is always our fall back excuse.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else hearing there could be another hiring soon?
Well, I hope we are hiring two dozen recruiting quality assistants. I know we are never going to have the 40-50 that Bammer, Climpson, Crackumbus and Ugly have, but surely we can spring for SOME more. 3 isn't cutting it.

Hey, we are saving money again by having empty schollies. That's worth a lot.

However, before we hire another position coach, I think we have to fire some of the dung heaps we have in our building.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
From a December article in the Athletic:

North Carolina has its best recruiting class in a decade, and Mack Brown is only getting started

"If you get Brewster talking about his passion for Mack Brown and North Carolina, he’ll quickly turn it into the full living room sales pitch and, by the end of it, he’ll want you to commit your future sons to the Carolina cause. The man has always been a relentless recruiter. In coming back to this program and reuniting with Brown, he says, their pitch is real and their vision of owning this state is clear. “All’s I’m trying to do is afford these kids the opportunity to come to Blue Heaven,” Brewster said with a grin this spring. But he also knows this: “We’ve gotta give ‘em a reason. We have to win.”"
I think this guy will really bring the heat in recruiting. I also think it says a lot about Mullen that the guys who have coached on his staff before are so ready and willing to come back to coach for him again. This is especially true with Brewster since he really seemed devoted to Mack Brown when he turned down Jimbo Fisher just a couple of months ago for basically the same job he just took at UF. Great get for the Gators!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think this guy will really bring the heat in recruiting. I also think it says a lot about Mullen that the guys who have coached on his staff before are so ready and willing to come back to coach for him again.
Everyone wants to work for that boss that won't fire you even if you stop performing on the job before you retire, right?

The real OCD nutcases that win championships generally aren't good guys and are no doubt hell to work for, unfortunately.

There is so much work to be done in such a little time, the only way to really have a quality of life for a coaching and support staff is to hire a large one. Otherwise they have to work 18 hours a day 7 days a week or just be underprepared in either game prep or recruiting. This is how Saban seems to take mediocre coaches into "the system" and somehow get performance out of the whole.

Another point, likely he sees more longevity with Mullinz at UF vs Mack Brown at UNC. We know that Mullinz doesn't fire coaches and the AD doesn't fire underperforming HCs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rumor mill is really going Strong now about another hire...
Hire Charley and fire Dwagshyt?

Charley has always been DEs or LBs. I guess if English is never allowed in the building again, as should have been the case a year ago, he could do what... LBs?

I'd love to Christian Robinson gone too but that isn't happening til Dwagchoker is gone.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Hire Charley and fire Dwagshyt?

Charley has always been DEs or LBs. I guess if English is never allowed in the building again, as should have been the case a year ago, he could do what... LBs?

I'd love to Christian Robinson gone too but that isn't happening til Dwagchoker is gone.
I heard it was a clean sweep of the legal department and some jackass was gonna lead it. Got all excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb