TJ Slaton a steal? Grantham sucks

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I have been paying attention to TJ Slaton in packers camp because I was curious how he'd do in the nfl. The scouting reports on him were all over the place. As for the packers, they think they got a steal.

Packers Might Have Big Steal With Slaton

Other than starting center Josh Myers, there might not be a rookie on the roster who will make more of a sudden impact than Slaton. Montgomery has voiced little more than guarded optimism but it’s hard to imagine Slaton not having earned an immediate role.

With injuries hitting the d-line, he is even getting valuable reps with the starters and isn't disappointing.

Obviously, his production and effort has shown up in these first two games.

Choker and Mullinz harped on Slaton's lack of effort in his time at UF. Funny, it seems the packers' staff doesn't have a hard time motivating Slaton. Since arriving with the pack he is working his tail off there. It seems our staff are the only ones who had a hard time motivating him. When Slaton arrived at packers camp, DL coach Jerry Montgomery said Slaton had to learn how to work. Why didn't our staff teach him that?

Here is an interesting video about Slaton. It is an interview with Montgomery the DL coach.

Packers DL Coach Jerry Montgomery on TJ Slaton

I have so little confidence in this staff that even if we were to suddenly start recruiting elite talent on the front 7 they would not know what to do with them. Watch Desmond Watson be the next Slaton.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But Slaton wasnt good at blitzing.

He is a two gap dominator. no room in that for a third and Grantham defense.

he's graded out as the best defensive lineman we've had for 3 years every year. only **** heads can't see that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He was a big bodied tackle we were excited when Butters recruited him. Should have been a force in the middle for 4 years at DT. But misused for 4 fuching years.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In fairness, it's probably much easier to be motivated when fighting for a roster spot for millions of dollars and a swanky lifestyle.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In fairness, it's probably much easier to be motivated when fighting for a roster spot for millions of dollars and a swanky lifestyle.

And if you are going to get a real shot at playing time, in a system that suits your skill set.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
motivation was never the problem. Grantham just wanted a 250 lb defensive tackle that could sometimes cover the tight end on a zone blitz.

I've heard some rumors that he wasn't the brightest kid which makes sense since he took a while for him to qualify. then again Grantham isn't the brightest kid either. most people don't have defensive tackles doing the stupid **** that Granthem does.

he would have been all sec in Alabama, Georgia, or LSU. some of our receivers would have been also. not sure exactly which position group has been misused the most.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Swanky...in Green Bay? They don't go together. I have 1st hand experience having grown up not far from there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would add Zach Carter to the most misused list. He would be an All SEC DE elsewhere for the last two years, but forced to play inside as an extremely undersized DT here.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
that's probably good for him.
Well, swanky in Green Bay is Prime Quarter steakhouse, home of the 3 lb steak contest. Eat a 3 lb steak, a baked potato, Texas Toast, and a side salad in 75 minutes and get your picture on the wall and a free T shirt. Slaton's got this no problem.

Anyway, as a Packer fan I was excited to see Slaton getting drafted to GB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, swanky in Green Bay is Prime Quarter steakhouse, home of the 3 lb steak contest. Eat a 3 lb steak, a baked potato, Texas Toast, and a side salad in 75 minutes and get your picture on the wall and a free T shirt. Slaton's got this no problem.
He may run that place out of business.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Anyway, as a Packer fan I was excited to see Slaton getting drafted to GB.

don't you only eat carrots?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The Ol' 96er:

john-candy-great.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So does Butters get credit for bringing him in? Perhaps he was too stupid to play O-line and pick up calls or adjustments so that is why he went to D-line. all I know is that on occasion I would see him disrupting timing, etc. in the opponent's backfield and I would ask, facetiously, if that was Slayton in there making a play? And almost every time Law would comment that he was a quality DT and that Joe Lee Dunn Jr. was too STOOPID to know how to use and play him. Good luck to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.