To replace the windshield or not?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
A semi-truck threw a rock onto our windshield which left a small dot that I can feel on the surface but a cracked spot about the size of a pencil head eraser in the glass. It hasn't splintered out. We've only replaced one once and it wasn't a good seal and left some noise. Not looking forward to doing it and wondered if the chip will get bigger sooner rather than later.

What has been your experience with replacing a windshield?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Safelite can fix it with vacuum epoxy system in place if you get it to them before it spreads. Never replace unnecessarily on a newer car as many electronics are now embedded in the glass. Most local glass companies have left the auto business because these of complications per my home window glass company.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Safelite can fix it with vacuum epoxy system in place if you get it to them before it spreads. Never replace unnecessarily on a newer car as many electronics are now embedded in the glass. Most local glass companies have left the auto business because these of complications per my home window glass company.

Good to know and I'm not opposed to trying something like that rather than replacing the whole windshield. Unfortunately it's right in the driver's view too. It's not bothersome yet but could be if it spread.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Good to know and I'm not opposed to trying something like that rather than replacing the whole windshield. Unfortunately it's right in the driver's view too. It's not bothersome yet but could be if it spread.
Insurance and replace....immediately...

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In Florida, they all say insurance replaces for free. What they dont tell you is that it counts as a claim, therefore your rates will be impacted for years to come.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
In Florida, they all say insurance replaces for free. What they dont tell you is that it counts as a claim, therefore your rates will be impacted for years to come.

Thanks for the heads-up. I asked the insurance company and they played word games with the question. Decided it was better to pay $100 out of pocket then to have it reflected as a claim. They are working on it now and think it can be repaired successfully. If not, I’ll have to file for insurance to replace the whole thing.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the heads-up. I asked the insurance company and they played word games with the question. Decided it was better to pay $100 out of pocket then to have it reflected as a claim. They are working on it now and think it can be repaired successfully. If not, I’ll have to file for insurance to replace the whole thing.

Smart. That would have been my suggestion, but wanted you to come to your own conclusion.

Several years ago, the wife had the windshield replaced through insurance (for free). Then about a year later, the wife had her sideview mirror destroyed by a falling branch hanging in the road. We call insurance to start the process. When we get to the shop, the shop guys say, "Shoot... this is fine, we can put it all back together and add a little touchup paint. It'll be less than $200."

So I call insurance and cancel the claim.
Insurance, "Nope, it doesnt work that way"
Me, "But I dont need you, I will pay for this out of pocket".
Insurance, "Sorry, but you started the claim process, so it's a claim. And since it's the 2nd claim in less than a year, your premium increases 20%"
Me, "This aint a claim, you wont pay 1 single cent. And what 2nd claim? We've never had a claim of any kind, this is our first"
Insurance, "The window replacement"
Me, "I hope you rot in hell"

That was with Allstate. I shopped around that afternoon. These insurance companies are all on connected databases. They ALL knew I had 2 claims. Both of which were bullcrap. Man was I pissed. I will avoid insurance if I can.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I've just found myself in the same situation, CD. Please let me know how the epoxy works for you.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I've just found myself in the same situation, CD. Please let me know how the epoxy works for you.

That sucks.
Will do. I called but couldn’t talk to anyone at Safelite but the voice recording mentioned a $25 discount with promo code repairreplace25 when paying out of pocket and booking online. They could have come to the house Thursday but had an appointment in the shop immediately. Hoping it works. The tech threw out the caveat that during the sealing/heating process it could potentially expand the crack causing a full replacement.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Smart. That would have been my suggestion, but wanted you to come to your own conclusion.

Several years ago, the wife had the windshield replaced through insurance (for free). Then about a year later, the wife had her sideview mirror destroyed by a falling branch hanging in the road. We call insurance to start the process. When we get to the shop, the shop guys say, "Shoot... this is fine, we can put it all back together and add a little touchup paint. It'll be less than $200."

Insurance, "Sorry, but you started the claim process, so it's a claim. And since it's the 2nd claim in less than a year, your premium increases 20%"
Me, "This aint a claim, you wont pay 1 single cent. And what 2nd claim? We've never had a claim of any kind, this is our first"

That was with Allstate. I shopped around that afternoon. These insurance companies are all on connected databases. They ALL knew I had 2 claims. Both of which were bullcrap. Man was I pissed. I will avoid insurance if I can.

Ugh that sucks. I can’t believe that they couldn’t (wouldn’t) cancel the claim. Whew, I was “that close” to making a claim this morning!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Since both of them were your wife's fault just make her pay the insurance bill...Cheapass

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Still a slight mark in the glass where it made impact but it did clear up the surrounding edges. Overall I’m pleased and just relieved they didn’t have to replace the whole thing.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

Good info.

When I was an independent adjuster years ago I absolutely hated Allstate. So much that I refuse to ever have them personally after seeing how they screw over their clients, specifically home owners. Took my parents having what I was telling them happen to them before they switched. They would pull this crap where they would try to pay you out by individual shingle rather than full replacement unless you could prove damage on every shingle with something like two hail hits per shingle. Most companies required 8-10 hits a 100 SF roofing square. Allstate was required 2 hits per shingle.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rookies.

I have 3 "stars" on my windshield. Due to the kind of vehicle I drive, it's more prone to rock stars. Insurance covers the fill, if you know what I mean. They'll replace the windshield as well without @bradgator2 up-charge. However, I'm a USAA holder. It's my white privilege.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Good info.

When I was an independent adjuster years ago I absolutely hated Allstate. So much that I refuse to ever have them personally after seeing how they screw over their clients, specifically home owners. Took my parents having what I was telling them happen to them before they switched. They would pull this crap where they would try to pay you out by individual shingle rather than full replacement unless you could prove damage on every shingle with something like two hail hits per shingle. Most companies required 8-10 hits a 100 SF roofing square. Allstate was required 2 hits per shingle.
Had my roof replaced twice with hail storms in the Atlanta area. 5 year old home and again at 12 years old. New roof, facia, gutters and screens both times with almost no visual damage and no leaks. All of my neighbors had Allstate and State Farm. They went through hell each time and basically just got them patched.
ANPAC is nothing shy of fantastic. I was crushed when I moved to Florida and found out they won’t insure here.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Had my roof replaced twice with hail storms in the Atlanta area. 5 year old home and again at 12 years old. New roof, facia, gutters and screens both times with almost no visual damage and no leaks. All of my neighbors had Allstate and State Farm. They went through hell each time and basically just got them patched.
ANPAC is nothing shy of fantastic. I was crushed when I moved to Florida and found out they won’t insure here.
Wait until you see the f vcking you're going to get on this years renewal....you'll be cursing those door to door scam artist roof salesmen...:lol:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I believe it. I once had them tell me to write the estimate of a damaged hardwood floor by the board. The floor was older than me and could in no way be matched without sanding and refinishing everything yet they would only pay for the damaged boards

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator