To track or not to track

Do you have car insurance tracking apps?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Ham sammich

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
To track or not to track...that is the question. Our 17 year old just got her drivers license (late because of covid) and the insurance company wants to add a tracking app for a BIG discount. We are opposed to those apps but the insurance discount sweetens the pot for having a kid on our policy.

Do you allow this app on your phones?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
To track or not to track...that is the question. Our 17 year old just got her drivers license (late because of covid) and the insurance company wants to add a tracking app for a BIG discount. We are opposed to those apps but the insurance discount sweetens the pot for having a kid on our policy.

Do you allow this app on your phones?

Just for your new driver or everybody?

Opposed for a kid who's just got their license. I'm all in on tracking. Track me no thanks. Although tracking me would be disappointing. Little tracking pin wouldn't be moving far. Not for the next six months. After that it might not be moving at all. :lol:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
My mother in law did it for a while... it plugged in somewhere below the driver area, don't remember.
She's a very good driver so it helped her out discount-wise.

I'm not sure the insurance company will email you a message indicating your daughter is in a remote area of town with foggy windows. But my concern would be what if she did something 'stupid' ...would it cause a substantial increase? Or ...do her driving habits portend something bad might happen if she doesn't make adjustments?
Like listening to gangsta rap while driving or something like that?

Actuarial scientists are a devious bunch

Did they indicate what would be tracked?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Initially it is a few hundred off just for installing the app on her phone. I need to do more research such as how it knows she’s driving vs a passenger. The agent said she has the potential to earn a bigger discount based on her driving habits (brake and speed) however she could also lose the discount next year based off her habits too.

Last edited:

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
From what I understand, it’s not a location tracker. It plugs into the vehicle computer and “tracks” acceleration rates, speeds, and braking forces.

I’ve put 10000 miles on my truck the last 4 years, when we moved we changed insurance and they said they were going to send us some for a discount but we never got them. My readout would be like an SOS on the calendar. 8 miles to the gym a few days a week, that’s about it.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
So are you saying that you and/or seedy has a lead foot?

Maybe but that’s neither here nor there!

It’s an app only on her phone. It will send me a report. It doesn’t go on the car but on her phone. She can check off as a passenger or driver.

Safeco Right Track app

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Just for your new driver or everybody?

Opposed for a kid who's just got their license. I'm all in on tracking. Track me no thanks. Although tracking me would be disappointing. Little tracking pin wouldn't be moving far. Not for the next six months. After that it might not be moving at all. :lol:
They would use a sundial to track you.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I had onstar the first few years I had my car. They offered the tracking. I got a monthly report (braking, speeds, acceleration etc) and each month they offered to send to several insurance companies for quotes. I declined.

I can see positives for a young driver. It gives you insight into ways to reinforce good driving habits. You guys can sit down and go over the reports and discuss each month.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
From what I understand, it’s not a location tracker. It plugs into the vehicle computer and “tracks” acceleration rates, speeds, and braking forces.

I’ve put 10000 miles on my truck the last 4 years, when we moved we changed insurance and they said they were going to send us some for a discount but we never got them. My readout would be like an SOS on the calendar. 8 miles to the gym a few days a week, that’s about it.

There is a different one that I believe CD is referring to - it is an app that you install that uses GPS and the accelerometers on smartphones to measure speed, acceleration, etc. Basically it compares your app-measured speed against posted speed limits and flags when speeding more often than nothing.

What I found CD is that with the insurance we had, there was a minimum number of minutes driving per month that we never reached before any benefit was received. You might check into that first.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
There is a different one that I believe CD is referring to - it is an app that you install that uses GPS and the accelerometers on smartphones to measure speed, acceleration, etc. Basically it compares your app-measured speed against posted speed limits and flags when speeding more often than nothing.

What I found CD is that with the insurance we had, there was a minimum number of minutes driving per month that we never reached before any benefit was received. You might check into that first.

Good to know. The kids will be doing school from home for a while so there won’t be a lot of travel time. She’s a real homebody. Maybe they can’t discount the policy for that reason. :lol:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The evaluation period is 90 days, after which time, Safeco will send you a pre-paid package to mail back the device and then use the driving data gathered to determine your discount.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The evaluation period is 90 days, after which time, Safeco will send you a pre-paid package to mail back the device and then use the driving data gathered to determine your discount.

The agent said it’s a phone app.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Safeco’s Right Track system uses a device that plugs into the vehicle, gathers information, and is then sent back to the company for review, and has no app. That is the traditional form of tracking that dates to the initial deployment of these programs and is a little on the outdated side when compared to similar programs from other companies.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Safeco’s Right Track system uses a device that plugs into the vehicle, gathers information, and is then sent back to the company for review, and has no app. That is the traditional form of tracking that dates to the initial deployment of these programs and is a little on the outdated side when compared to similar programs from other companies.

Edit:app not available in all states

Guess they use an app now instead of the device. All the instructions she sent were about how to download it and use it on her phone.

6201B59D-BA4A-4E49-B735-7382113FA7A7.jpeg

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
BTW - horrible reviews on the app. They say it starts out great to keep you engaged then starts dropping your score so at the end of the 90 day period your credit isn’t as large.

It’s not available in all states either.

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see any utility at all for this app after reading the whole thread, having met the child, and knowing she's probably going to drive differently in two vehicles. Sounds like a big, fat come on from the insurance peeps.

CD, you need to put your teenager hat on, and think like a kid. I think you'll get farther with her making her self-regulate her driving behavior using the guilt card, and "you'll never get to drive the preferred vehicle again if we catch you." I'd have been totally appalled and defiant if my folks put a tracker on me! (Although I probably needed one).

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I don't see any utility at all for this app after reading the whole thread, having met the child, and knowing she's probably going to drive differently in two vehicles. Sounds like a big, fat come on from the insurance peeps.

CD, you need to put your teenager hat on, and think like a kid. I think you'll get farther with her making her self-regulate her driving behavior using the guilt card, and "you'll never get to drive the preferred vehicle again if we catch you." I'd have been totally appalled and defiant if my folks put a tracker on me! (Although I probably needed one).

she’s an excellent driver, maybe even too slow at times. I have to push her out the door to drive. Teenagers these days are weird about driving. I’m not so concerned about her but the boy is another story. :lol:

The app would purely be to save $$$!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.