To track or not to track

Do you have car insurance tracking apps?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Ham sammich

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After talking to my insurance agent (State Farm) a couple of years ago, she suggested that I do not get the tracker. She won't use it herself. If traffic is going 55 in a 45, so you go 55 it dings you. I have a heavy foot, i accelerate hard and I tend to speed regularly. So she said even though you are a safe driver, and they have covered me 25 years, it was better for me to not be tracked it would effect me negatively on the rates.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After talking to my insurance agent (State Farm) a couple of years ago, she suggested that I do not get the tracker. She won't use it herself. If traffic is going 55 in a 45, so you go 55 it dings you. I have a heavy foot, i accelerate hard and I tend to speed regularly. So she said even though you are a safe driver, and they have covered me 25 years, it was better for me to not be tracked it would effect me negatively on the rates.
State Farm dropped my grandson via the tracker......He scares me driving in Jacksonville. He learned to drive in the DC area. F v cking anthill.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I suggest NOT getting the tracker. Just make the little seedling get a job and pay for the insurance on herself. That way you and Seedy get a 100% savings while adding her on as a driver... :highfive:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Initially, the app was done via a dongle plugged into the OBDII port. Now a days, it's mostly on a mobile phone.

IMO, the dongle is better because it only monitors that one vehicle where the phone app would always be monitoring. So, other people's bad habits could negatively affect your daughter.

But, if she is a slow driver (ie, naturally cautious) then something like this may end up helping her.

But I def see the value in doing whatever but having her foot the bill for it. After all, by joining your policy, she's receiving a YUGE benefit.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Initially, the app was done via a dongle plugged into the OBDII port. Now a days, it's mostly on a mobile phone.

IMO, the dongle is better because it only monitors that one vehicle where the phone app would always be monitoring. So, other people's bad habits could negatively affect your daughter.

But, if she is a slow driver (ie, naturally cautious) then something like this may end up helping her.

But I def see the value in doing whatever but having her foot the bill for it. After all, by joining your policy, she's receiving a YUGE benefit.
For some strange reason, my kids seem to think that driving is a "right" and not a privilege. I contend the opposite...

flg8rfan

Nov 28, 2018
When we had progressive, it was an OBD device, we had to have it plugged in for a period of time and sent it back. I was fine with that, just meant I had to watch how I drive for a bit and then I could revert to being a guy. I got a much higher discount than my wife ;-)

With State Farm, it’s and app and a device you just place in your car and keep. Needless to say, I amaze my wife how I can grade out with an F on my 2 mile drive to the grocery store.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
An app and a dongle makes sense or how else would the app know that "she" was driving the "insured" car. If your car had "bluetooth" then you probably wouldn't need the dongle plug into the car.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
UPDATE:

We agreed to the app for the lil CD for a big discount so they sent us the activation code. However it included one code for all 3 of us. No deal, we weren't going to download the app for us. Safeco said for a much smaller discount we could just do lil CD so we download the app to her phone. Lil CD tried to install it but she isn't 18 so it wouldn't proceed until an adult activated the app too.

No app for anyone and no discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.