Today I learned about gun checks

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
FYI for those who care:
While attending an FBI meeting today - the section chief in charge of the nation's gun check program told me that they are on track to do ~25 million checks this year, about a million more than last year.
Six of the top ten busiest days ever have been this year.
The busiest day was Black Friday:
185,713 checks - in one day.
(On their "day off" - Thanksgiving, 30,000 checks.)
About 357 more than last year's Black Friday.
They are hiring more and more folks to handle the demand.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does that mean some dude shows up at your house and asks to see you gun?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I assume he's talking about the NICS system which is the national background check required to buy a gun in most situations.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I assume he's talking about the NICS system which is the national background check required to buy a gun in most situations.

That is correct- and the program Chief is a former Redskins cheerleader

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Does that mean some dude shows up at your house and asks to see you gun?

She said that it's a congressional mandate that all gun applications are purged after the fact so that there's no hint of a national gun registry.
Approvals usually take no more than three days and the more questionable applications can be held no longer than 88 days.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What's a "gun check"? And NV asked a yes or no question and you didn't say yes or no. You went on some explanation about some congressional mandate about gun applications...how does that answer the question he asked? Sorry for being ignorant...

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
What's a "gun check"? And NV asked a yes or no question and you didn't say yes or no. You went on some explanation about some congressional mandate about gun applications...how does that answer the question he asked? Sorry for being ignorant...
Sorry - I'm not sure 'gun check' is the right term. More like gun purchase applications.
And because all of the applications are purged "a dude" doesn't show up at your door since there's no national gun registry.
Might be different with concealed carry permits - not sure.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NICS is a background check. The law states that NO "list" is to maintained. So, theoretically, nobody could come to your door later.

Conceal carry licenses are state level & each state has its' own laws regarding such. They aren't the same as a NICS check. They license people to carry a concealed weapon, not to buy a weapon. In this case, there is most definitely a list maintained, you're issued a license.

In no case is a gun checked, the person wanting to purchase a weapon is.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Background check diddy, background check.

And the 3 days isn't how long it takes to complete one. 3 days is required from the time you initiate a purchase with a dealer for a pistol before he lets you take possession of the weapon (in many but not all cases). Long guns are take home at time of purchase. Most background checks take less than 15 minutes. I've had some take as little as 5.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015

And the 3 days isn't how long it takes to complete one. 3 days is required from the time you initiate a purchase with a dealer for a pistol before he lets you take possession of the weapon (in many but not all cases). Long guns are take home at time of purchase. Most background checks take less than 15 minutes. I've had some take as little as 5.

I was under the impression that, in Florida at least, if you have a concealed carry permit, you can pick up handguns as soon as the background check clears.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was under the impression that, in Florida at least, if you have a concealed carry permit, you can pick up handguns as soon as the background check clears.
Hence the statement in my original post "in many but not all cases."
You're welcome :)

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
If you're going to own a handgun, I think it is a good idea to have a carry permit. I suspect that a fairly large percentage of Florida handgun purchasers do, in fact, have a permit but I haven't seen any statistics.

Initially, I got my permit in Virginia shortly after the state adopted a "shall issue" approach. Prior to that, liberal judges in northern Virginia where I lived had limited the number of carry permits to 2 (two) for a multi-county area of over 2,000,000 people. One of the two was a sitting judge, by the way.

In Virginia, the rules about carrying a handgun in your vehicle from one point to another, e.g., home to a firing range, were so complex that they allowed a lot of discretion to law enforcement -- never a good thing. Having a carrry permit solved that problem.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
If you're going to own a handgun, I think it is a good idea to have a carry permit. I suspect that a fairly large percentage of Florida handgun purchasers do, in fact, have a permit but I haven't seen any statistics.

Initially, I got my permit in Virginia shortly after the state adopted a "shall issue" approach. Prior to that, liberal judges in northern Virginia where I lived had limited the number of carry permits to 2 (two) for a multi-county area of over 2,000,000 people. One of the two was a sitting judge, by the way.

In Virginia, the rules about carrying a handgun in your vehicle from one point to another, e.g., home to a firing range, were so complex that they allowed a lot of discretion to law enforcement -- never a good thing. Having a carrry permit solved that problem.

Just talked to the gun shop about that over in Fairfax...
In Fairfax County it can take anywhere from 30 - 45 days but usually goes through more often than not.
I'm in Arlington County so I'll need to see how it works there.

Apparently Utah is the Gold Standard for the Concealed Carry threshold for most states.
Georgia apparently is a pain in the ass in recognizing other state's permitting.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

So...now that I sold my house in Tennessee and I JUST got my Virginia's drivers license -
I'll need to wait 30 days before I can purchase a gun.

I'm heading out to Colorado for the holidays and I'm going to shoot several guns out there.
So far - the Sig Sauer P Series and Glock 26 and 43 are at the top of the list.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p320/

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
Just talked to the gun shop about that over in Fairfax...
In Fairfax County it can take anywhere from 30 - 45 days but usually goes through more often than not.
I'm in Arlington County so I'll need to see how it works there.

Apparently Utah is the Gold Standard for the Concealed Carry threshold for most states.
Georgia apparently is a pain in the ass in recognizing other state's permitting.

I got mine from Fairfax County shortly after the law was changed. They were allowed a certain number of days to issue it and they took a couple week more (violating the law). Then I got a notice that required that I attend an "Ore Tenus" hearing in front of a Judge. When I went to that, other than verifying my name, I didn't say another word so I never did figure out what that was for beyond adding more delay.

Hopefully they do a bit better with complying with the law but, then again, they've got Clinton minion Terry McAuliff as governor.and he's as crooked as you'll find still out of prison.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the Gun Show Loophole Law allowed instant carry home access as long as you were older than 12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.