Today I learned about gun checks

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I own multiple sigs including the Sig P226 MK25 military issue. Its one of the smoothest and crispest shooting pistols I have ever fired. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Can't go wrong with a Sig IMO.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
And yet... the Sig 229s that the govt issues (dak triggers) are the worst pieces of crap I've ever encountered. Friends claim the failure rate is close to 1/3 despite Sig going through numerous recalls and parts upgrades. I'm not even sure it's just the dak trigger because things like op rods, op springs, ejectors and extractors were failing. I swear I'd carry a Rossi or something even cheaper first. I wonder if it's just a govt contract lowest bidder cheaper parts thing because friends with regular 226/229, including the .mil, have no problem.
I'm not familiar with the Sig issue within the service. But what you are describing is virtually identical to the berretta issue within the service. Berretta 9mm is the standard sidearm issue for Army and all the things you mention and more are griped about constantly with that pistol. Failure rates high, etc. And yet... just like you mention, the same make/model pistols outside the Army have a great rep and people love them.

Here's the issue with the Berretta (and without looking into it, id suspect the sig). Lack of maintenance. That's it.

The service puts these things into ops cycle and they stay there with virtually zero maintenance for 20+ years. Most of the ones you get issued have had over 20k rounds put through them and still have all the original piece parts, even the damn barrel! Aside from an occasional, and I strongly emphasize OCCASIONAL mediocre cleaning by individuals who have little knowledge of pistols or specifically the berretta, they receive no maintenance. That's really all there is to it. These things simply aren't designed to handle that.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You know, I had a govt model Beretta (it was a 40 fed a steady diet of +P even) that was very worn out when I got it and it never had a problem. As much as I DIDN'T like it, I'd never buy one, I still shoot better with it than anything else. I know the first round of Army Berettas had problems. We still had ancient 1911s back then (80s) and never got the Berettas until later (after they made some mods).

Without going into specifics on the Sigs, I will tell you they get sterling maintenance. We aren't talking .mil here. Sigs contract was basically voided eventually.
Interesting, I haven't had any contact with the sig while in uniform.

I've had berrettas issued and I actually like them. They are a bit heavy and bulky but very accurate. I've also personally never had a mechanical issue with them but I'm a gun guy and perform regular and thorough maintenance on whatever I'm using. But I know a lot of people that just gripe and moan about them and that's all you ever see on the forums as well.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Concealed permit is easy in Fl, The state allows folks to go to their local tax collectors and do all the steps needed.... Pictures, fingerprints, paperwork etc all in one place. So far (last I knew) only 9 counties are doing it, Marion being one. My Sis and some of her coworkers in Gatorville came down here and got their permits. Still goes through Dept of Ag in Tallacrappy but in electronic form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.