Gator Basketball "Todd Golden isn't helping Scott Stricklin's Fate"

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Credit to @Bernardo de la Paz for posting it in the chat; but hard to argue at this point that Stricklin deserves to stick around. I'm struggling to think of an area where our sports program has demonstrably improved...especially the big-ticket and higher-profile positions.

Multiple disastrous football hires (jury's still out on Napier); and an underwhelming start for Golden.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was actually the one that originally told @Bernardo de la Paz about the article, and would also like to be credited. Brad told me about it, but let’s leave him off for the time being.
Once Plaid Shirt, Penny Loafer boy Strichnine is canned and Fooley is barred from the Continental 48, then I will genuflect in front of you. Until then, you will get nothing and like it!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Credit to @Bernardo de la Paz for posting it in the chat; but hard to argue at this point that Stricklin deserves to stick around. I'm struggling to think of an area where our sports program has demonstrably improved...especially the big-ticket and higher-profile positions.

Multiple disastrous football hires (jury's still out on Napier); and an underwhelming start for Golden.

It's kinda unfair to say "multiple disastrous football hires" if the jury is still out on Napier. Unless you feel Mullen was so bad we can count him as more than one hire.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
It's kinda unfair to say "multiple disastrous football hires" if the jury is still out on Napier. Unless you feel Mullen was so bad we can count him as more than one hire.

You're right: Sharkfucher wasn't Stricklin's hire, my bad.

Mullen truly was that bad though and Stricklin laughably extended his contract based on non-existent "NFL rumors" that Mullen's agent reported to the media. It's pretty telling that absolutely no one went running to Mullen for a coaching position for the last year, despite multiple openings.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think at UF right now the AD is judged more by the overall athletic program and $$$$ being generated, and there's tons of money rolling in. This isn't Bama where football is the only thing that matters. UF is run like an Ivy League school at the moment.

In other words, I think they love Stricklin and the assertion that he's on any kind of hot seat is laughable.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Will Sasse A)can Stricklin, B)do the job of replacing him and C)lay down the law that a successful football program is the straw that stirs the drink, or will he merely delegate A and B to Foley, who won't do C?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Will Sasse A)can Stricklin, B)do the job of replacing him and C)lay down the law that a successful football program is the straw that stirs the drink, or will he merely delegate A and B to Foley, who won't do C?
I think Sasse has a list of things he wants to do that is a mile long, and I think firing Stricklin isn't even on the list.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Sasse has a list of things he wants to do that is a mile long, and I think firing Stricklin isn't even on the list.
This...

I'm not a Stricknine supporter but I try to be a realist.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
IMO this further shows that Foley was one of the best....he had some whiffs yes (Zook, Muschamp, Butters) but when he hit home runs (Billy D, Walton, Sully, Urban, etc) they were grand slams

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Was listening to 1010XL (Jax) and they were talking about the basketball team and Mike White. One of the hosts, Frank Frangie, said that he was told that (paraphrasing) Mike White wasn’t even on the hot seat when he left. White left on his own accord due to fan pressure and ridicule.

How depressing is that? We truly have an incompetent AD at the helm (again)

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
IMO this further shows that Foley was one of the best....he had some whiffs yes (Zook, Muschamp, Butters) but when he hit home runs (Billy D, Walton, Sully, Urban, etc) they were grand slams

@FireFoley….

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Was listening to 1010XL (Jax) and they were talking about the basketball team and Mike White. One of the hosts, Frank Frangie, said that he was told that (paraphrasing) Mike White wasn’t even on the hot seat when he left. White left on his own accord due to fan pressure and ridicule.

How depressing is that? We truly have an incompetent AD at the helm (again)
They wouldn’t have let him interview if they wanted to keep him. Frangie’s a nice guy but he lives in a fairy tale world.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think at UF right now the AD is judged more by the overall athletic program and $$$$ being generated, and there's tons of money rolling in. This isn't Bama where football is the only thing that matters. UF is run like an Ivy League school at the moment.

In other words, I think they love Stricklin and the assertion that he's on any kind of hot seat is laughable.

All kidding aside - any mildly educated/experienced AD could do what he's done, and still bring in the money. The non-revenue sports were essentially on cruise control. He goes out and hires Mullen, who he had to know had an arrogance/laziness side & a 30 year old from San Francisco - along with allowing Napier to pay a 32 year old with 1 year as a DC $1 million to be our DC (which promptly led to a 130th ranked 3rd down defense, somehow surpassing Todd Grantham's incompetence). Anyhow, you're probably right. The apathy has set in....from the very top....to the very bottom (Gatorchatter). lol

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Ugh. This trash got a like?
Mea maxima culpa, but I tend to give a “like” to the comments I agree are correct whether I actually like them or not. I’m also trying to help Ox realize we mean it when we say he’s not that bad an asshat. (Or pop tart for that matter.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.