Todd Grantham

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
It is funny that people think the only people "available" are the unemployed coaches or coaches that moved that year.

If Folley hadnt pulled a Hindenburg on our program, every coach (almost) would be available. We used to hire champions.
Ok. Here we go again. Name the coach we actually should have hired over Mullen. Specifically.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ok. Here we go again. Name the coach we actually should have hired over Mullen. Specifically.
Old faithful argument!!!!! The only coaches available on the whole damn planet were Chimp, Shark, and Mullinz!!!!!

yeah we can do it again. I can list the current coaches at Oklahoma and Ohio State and 104 offensive coordinators that finished higher than Mullins the year we hired him and a list of coaches that didnt lose to directional schools.

U South Alabama! USA! USA!! USA!!!!

also a huge list of defensive coordinators.

you can search the archives for that post if you desperately need it.

Grantham was not on the list.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like what I saw out of the offense and the new playboom, nit Im a bit afraid that it is fools gold like Butters vs Ole Miss (and we later learn that Cokeboy was freelancing).

and you really mean only one half of Ole Miss, you take one quarter of Tennessee and two quarters of Ole Miss that is half of Butters offensive output over his seasons.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
and you really mean only one half of Ole Miss, you take one quarter of Tennessee and two quarters of Ole Miss that is half of Butters offensive output over his seasons.

Maybe not stellar, but remember, we did have 73 yards passing in the 4th against the vols in 2017.

*oops, check that. That was just one pass he didn’t want thrown.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. Tough crowd. Must be the late hour for most of these posts and that based on the unintelligibility of the following gem, Law Donk was deep was the bag:

I like what I saw out of the offense and the new playboom, nit Im a bit afraid that it is fools gold like Butters vs Ole Miss (and we later learn that Cokeboy was freelancing).

First, the boilerplate stipulation for these threads: I was dead-set against hiring Mullen for all the reasons that are rote on this forum. When his pending hire was leaked, I had what I'm sure was a Donk-like meltdown complete with all the stages of grief. There is no need to rehash the shortcomings we feared he possessed, many of which he has confirmed into year 3 of his tenure.

All that said, when you consider the mess he walked into thanks to his two immediate predecessors, coupled with decades-long horrid program management (facilities...), the results he's produced have been miraculous. Especially his work with Trask. Like most on this board, I prefer a more pro-style, vertical offense, but I will happily take what we saw against Ole Miss last Saturday. And I agree his recruiting must improve, especially along both lines of scrimmage and up the middle on defense. But really, who thought Mullen would be sitting at 21 wins after his first two seasons? And poised for even better things in season 3? Not me. Remember, there are two HCs that stand miles and miles above all the others and one, Dabo, came very close to getting whacked for his slow start at Clemmy. I am not comparing Mullen to Dabo - I am merely making the point that progress program building takes time.

Now, back to the main subject of this thread: I too despise Grantham. I could probably swallow that ex-Humper being on our sideline if his defenses were any good, but they're not. In fact, I literally cannot remember a worse performance by our defense than what we saw Saturday. It was horrendous both schematically and fundamentally. Complete suckitude of that magnitude is rare and unacceptable for us. I hope Mullen whacks that asshat and his $1.8M salary the minute the season ends and retools that side of the ball completely.

AFCatholicGator

Sep 7, 2018
Wow. Tough crowd. Must be the late hour for most of these posts and that based on the unintelligibility of the following gem, Law Donk was deep was the bag:

Great post

First, the boilerplate stipulation for these threads: I was dead-set against hiring Mullen for all the reasons that are rote on this forum. When his pending hire was leaked, I had what I'm sure was a Donk-like meltdown complete with all the stages of grief. There is no need to rehash the shortcomings we feared he possessed, many of which he has confirmed into year 3 of his tenure.

All that said, when you consider the mess he walked into thanks to his two immediate predecessors, coupled with decades-long horrid program management (facilities...), the results he's produced have been miraculous. Especially his work with Trask. Like most on this board, I prefer a more pro-style, vertical offense, but I will happily take what we saw against Ole Miss last Saturday. And I agree his recruiting must improve, especially along both lines of scrimmage and up the middle on defense. But really, who thought Mullen would be sitting at 21 wins after his first two seasons? And poised for even better things in season 3? Not me. Remember, there are two HCs that stand miles and miles above all the others and one, Dabo, came very close to getting whacked for his slow start at Clemmy. I am not comparing Mullen to Dabo - I am merely making the point that progress program building takes time.

Now, back to the main subject of this thread: I too despise Grantham. I could probably swallow that ex-Humper being on our sideline if his defenses were any good, but they're not. In fact, I literally cannot remember a worse performance by our defense than what we saw Saturday. It was horrendous both schematically and fundamentally. Complete suckitude of that magnitude is rare and unacceptable for us. I hope Mullen whacks that asshat and his $1.8M salary the minute the season ends and retools that side of the ball completely.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line: Mullen needs to up his recruiting game significantly. IMO, he's already missed his window. Although he's done incrementally better each year he is still not close to where he needs to be. Our depth reflects this (especially on the D). Our secondary is, consistently, the worse I've seen since becoming a Gator fan. (ok... maybe not the worst... the late 80s was pretty sad too).

He can go a long way by beating the leghumpers and getting to the SECCG, but if it doesn't reflect in the recruiting class, what's the point?

He needs to upgrade the recruiting and some of his coaches.

AFCatholicGator

Sep 7, 2018
I mean yea he does but significantly? If he can finish around #8 every year, have great QBs, and get couple transfer studs each year, couldn’t that be enough? I mean I think we will incrementally get better each year, hopefully beating UGA this year will help us break through for 22 recruiting. I agree I’d like to see 1-2 coaching changes for recruiting but not wholesale changes, I mean you’d have to be pretty negative or stubborn to not think we are close

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe. I think Mullen is better than Grantham. Frankly I don’t think Dabo is any better he just got some great QBs and better recruits. I think Dan “can” be elite, let’s face it, he was the best hire available in hindsight and I was ALL aboard the Chip Kelly and Scott Frost train. And he’s better than both by a mile
I agree. Mullen is >>> Grantham. But that doesn't mean that Mullen has what it takes to take us to the promised land. He's a really good game day coach (except, apparently, when we play UGa) and has some really good coaches that can turn raw 3*s into 4*s. But those two attributes won't take us to the promised land. The head coach needs to get the recruiters that can recruit the high level talent and the tweak that talent, not reshape it. The head coach needs to recognize issues with staff performance and fix them with a sense of urgency. Loyalty only goes so far.

Don't get me wrong. The O, since Trask took over, has been like a breath of fresh air. The win over Ole Miss was impressive - offensively.

I just think the D and the special teams have been, and continue to be, pedestrian at best.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I mean yea he does but significantly? If he can finish around #8 every year, have great QBs, and get couple transfer studs each year, couldn’t that be enough? I mean I think we will incrementally get better each year, hopefully beating UGA this year will help us break through for 22 recruiting. I agree I’d like to see 1-2 coaching changes for recruiting but not wholesale changes, I mean you’d have to be pretty negative or stubborn to not think we are close
Going from top 10-25 to top 5 is a significant jump. UF, FSU and Miami should be in the top 10-25 every year. Just because of traditions, resources and recruiting ground. IE it should be like falling over. Getting to the top 5, consistently? We are (IMO) a long way from there and, imo, we won't get there with Mullen.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I’ve thought Grantham was one of the best DCs in college. I officially retract this opinion. I’ve heard too much from folks who know and seem too many duds .

I think we will do well against Most teams but an exciting, high powered or very talented O we will struggle. I’m afraid that he will keep us from a NC. He’s “too good”
To fire and too bad to win the elite games. Sigh.....I wish this board hadn’t helped open my eyes, ignorance is sometimes bliss

MENSA called. They have officially retracted your invitation to become a member. Their reason was that anyone with a pulse could have seen the obvious, therefore your IQ has been readjusted more in line with your knowledge.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
The defense as we know it under Grantham is not what we expect at Florida. I hope he proves me wrong and steps it up for the rest of the season. This team has a chance to be special but the key word is "Team" we have to have better play from the defensive side of the ball to beat the Ga's and Bama's of this league.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some other recent revelations by AFCatholic are that the Thigh Master was useless, and Ox and Elton John is gay.

555f74e4f55d90b.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.