Tom Petty taken off life support

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Some rock star/celebrity deaths hit me harder than others. This one hits pretty hard. :sadnanner:

My wife and I saw him a few months ago in West Palm. Show was so great she flew out to Seattle to see him a few weeks ago,,,

Hoping for the best.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dang...no brain activity. It's just a matter of time then. 66 is way too young.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Saw him at the Bayfront Center in St Pete in 1989, ironically on the evening of the day they had the roof closing ceremony at what is now known as Tropicana Field, then known as the Florida Suncoast Dome. Roger McGuinn came out halfway through the show and had a jam session for about 30 minutes with Petty....Turn, Turn, Turn, Mr. Tambourine Man, etc. rocked the place.....

God bless Petty. A legend.....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Saw him at the Bayfront Center in St Pete in 1989, ironically on the evening of the day they had the roof closing ceremony at what is now known as Tropicana Field, then known as the Florida Suncoast Dome. Roger McGuinn came out halfway through the show and had a jam session for about 30 minutes with Petty....Turn, Turn, Turn, Mr. Tambourine Man, etc. rocked the place.....

God bless Petty. A legend.....

McGuinn as a I recall spent some of his time in the Madeira/Treasure Island area. Gotta laugh at your recollection of the Florida Suncoast Dome, possibly the worst stadium name ever. We nicknamed it the Lightning Dome to get around the fact.

Traumagirl

Taken
Jul 18, 2016
At least they didn't torture him for months like Bobby Kristina Brown.

Keeping him alive will make the cause of death tougher. Even if they did a UDS it's just positive or negative (I have never heard of them doing a level except on autopsy they didn't with Bobby Christina and we never did even in a large trauma center) so you know what he had in his system not how much. If he shows morphine you would assume heroine overdose (especially with his history). Cocaine if on UDS, with MI (especially w/o coronary artery disease), Aortic dissection, (can also cause stroke though that would not kill you immediately) no COD as it can cause arrhythmia and sudden death...so if found likely. Other than dissection not sure if you could prove it would not have happened anyway. Otherwise if there but legal prescription drugs you can't say OD with certainty (if they die right away the levels would confirm OD). If it was a straight arrhythmia (unlikely) they won't have a COD.

Why does COD matter beyond curiosity? If drugs it matter because it brings attention to the dangers. Even if it's an MI you can say don't smoke you can die before your time. There are some less common things if found that again the public can be warned about. A celebrity death gets our attention and can be a useful teaching tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.