Top 10 Positives About McElwain Going into Season 2

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You better be careful Law! Some of us might start thinking you are a pumper...
Dude, I've said the same thing since October. Check in the archives. He did a great job with what we had. Getting anything at all out of that was a miracle.

But our recruiting has sucked.

It's no different than some azzhats trying to say I was a Treon fan, when I said the same thing to the point of Ox getting pissed about it, that being that Grier was more talented and I expected him to win the battle. Just because you people repeat it doesn't make it true.

I admit when I change positions, like with Chimp. I fell for the babble about wanting a "multiple offense that stresses the defense," which I guess meant running to the right AND left. Even when some of you were convinced we were marching to a championship with the joke Chimp gameplan in 2012 (I actually got pm's from longtime friends warning me how stupid I was going to look when we won it all) I had already become convinced he was too hard headed and obviously had no clue how to score and win. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm just too pass happy and miss SOS too much.

Last edited:

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
You better be careful Law! Some of us might start thinking you are a pumper...

Dude, I've said the same thing since October. Check in the archives. He did a great job with what we had. Getting anything at all out of that was a miracle.

But our recruiting has sucked. [... additional dumper confirmation statements deleted...]

Thanks for clearing that up. :whew:

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Yeah maybe a little bit. But I for me, that was a horrible job of coaching in the bowl game, and frankly, to close out the year. Add in the substandard recruiting, I'm just not sold on Mac. Please let time prove me wrong.

Out of curiosity, what makes this recruiting class so sub-standard? We truly have no idea how well this class will work out, though with 12 early enrollees it is likely to have more early contributors than many classes do which is good because we need those contributions.

I recently checked out some of our higher ranked classes over the last few years and while reading over the players list with their star rankings I was only mildly surprised to find that many of those high level recruits never lived up to their ratings in their actual careers at UF. I think one of the signs of a really good coach is how many players he actually gets to contribute in meaningful ways while they are here. What really sets apart the elite college coaches is who can recognize Div-1 talent at the 2, 3 and 4 star levels and then cultivate that talent into something that delivers real impact at game time. So far I think Coach Mac has shown real potential in this area but only time will tell if that is a truly a trend or not.

I am also surprised to see so much weight put on that one bowl game. Though it was certainly not our finest hour, especially on defense, I have never seen this as anything but a bad day from a team so crippled at QB and kicker that it was going to have to over-achieve just to keep the game close anyway. We literally could not score at that point except by accident because Harris could not hit 90% of his throws whether they were open or not. Face it - once the offense became offensive post Grier the team lost its ability to win against any team that was capable of scoring with any frequency on our defense.

Anyway, I too hope your fears prove unwarranted, but so far I personally am actually pretty pleased with Coach Mac. Still has a long way to go but it certainly is a pretty good start to come out year 1 with 10 wins and an SEC East crown especially given what he was given to work with.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1) I guess it depends on what you think of as a "Home run" since recruiting stars, though definitely important in helping to assess potential talent initially for us fans, are nowhere near a real indicator on true value delivered. Otherwise Treon Harris (4 star) and Austin Hardin (5 star) would have delivered a great deal more value than say a Brian Cox, Jr. (3 star), Joey Ivie (3 star), Jarrad Davis (3 star), or Johnny Townsend (2 star). In fact there was a recent article that Coach Mac's most recent class may have several 3 stars who were underrated.

A couple corrections:

Ivie: 4 stars
Hardin: 2 stars

I don't think any kicker in the history of recruiting has been five stars.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
I get a kick out of people that say this most recent recruiting class is sub-standard. Do you morons not realize that our class was ranked higher than 80-90 other FBS level schools?
Could it have been better? Sure it could. Is it substandard? Absolutely not!!!
I know, I'm so sick of these MORONS...

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
And the number one positive about Macelwain going into season 2...

His name is Mac, not chump.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
A couple corrections:

Ivie: 4 stars
Hardin: 2 stars

I don't think any kicker in the history of recruiting has been five stars.

That is part of what I find so stupid about the whole star rankings phenomenon! I got these from an article which clearly used a different ranking service than the one you referenced (though admittedly I realized afterward that Hardin's rating used in that article came from a kicker specific rating service). Turns out there is a pretty wide range of scoring evaluations per service and on all of them there tends to be a pretty wide ranging of scoring that is assigned to each star level especially at the 3 and 4 start level. A quick spot check of some of these values shows that the actual scores show that a lot of three stars are just a few points short of a 4 star rating and a lot of 4 stars are just over that threshold. Therefore without further digging to get the actual evaluation numbers and methodologies involved, these star ratings can end up being pretty misleading since all 3s and all 4s are not even remotely created equally.

That's why no coach in his right mind is going to be reviewing these recruiting sites for anything but quick stats gathering and film viewing and even then I doubt they need anything to supplement the data they are already collecting for themselves especially once they get locked in on a potential player. The good coaches pride themselves on their formula for evaluating talent and I get the sense that some of the criteria most important to Coach Mac are not focused on physical stats at all (though he definitely cares about those too!) because they are related to the mental and psychological make up of these kids. I think that is wise too because at the end of the day these kids are just that - kids - and attributes like character, integrity and passion are much better indicators for determining how well a kid will fare when leaving home to come into a large college environment complete with the myriad of demands and temptations that come with being an athletic recruit at a major university.

These rankings also do not fully take into account the varying levels of competition across the high school spectrum which is clearly different depending on where they happen to live. They also don't fully take into account the competitiveness of a particular team which, for instance, can lead to stat stuffing with the few capable skill players on a bad team. The whole stars evaluation deal is therefore even less dependable as an evaluation criteria than the Mel Kiper Big Board phenomenon in he NFL and we all know how accurate those can be.

Bottom Line: I don't believe you can make any significant conclusions on the quality of a recruiting class based on just a recruiting board's definition of "blue chip" players since their rating criteria is not really standardized across services, is focused largely on physical traits verses character traits, and include game stats and team success related evaluations that do really account for talent disparities across schools and regions.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That is part of what I find so stupid about the whole star rankings phenomenon! I got these from an article which clearly used a different ranking service than the one you referenced (though admittedly I realized afterward that Hardin's rating used in that article came from a kicker specific rating service). Turns out there is a pretty wide range of scoring evaluations per service and on all of them there tends to be a pretty wide ranging of scoring that is assigned to each star level especially at the 3 and 4 start level. A quick spot check of some of these values shows that the actual scores show that a lot of three stars are just a few points short of a 4 star rating and a lot of 4 stars are just over that threshold. Therefore without further digging to get the actual evaluation numbers and methodologies involved, these star ratings can end up being pretty misleading since all 3s and all 4s are not even remotely created equally.

That's why no coach in his right mind is going to be reviewing these recruiting sites for anything but quick stats gathering and film viewing and even then I doubt they need anything to supplement the data they are already collecting for themselves especially once they get locked in on a potential player. The good coaches pride themselves on their formula for evaluating talent and I get the sense that some of the criteria most important to Coach Mac are not focused on physical stats at all (though he definitely cares about those too!) because they are related to the mental and psychological make up of these kids. I think that is wise too because at the end of the day these kids are just that - kids - and attributes like character, integrity and passion are much better indicators for determining how well a kid will fare when leaving home to come into a large college environment complete with the myriad of demands and temptations that come with being an athletic recruit at a major university.

These rankings also do not fully take into account the varying levels of competition across the high school spectrum which is clearly different depending on where they happen to live. They also don't fully take into account the competitiveness of a particular team which, for instance, can lead to stat stuffing with the few capable skill players on a bad team. The whole stars evaluation deal is therefore even less dependable as an evaluation criteria than the Mel Kiper Big Board phenomenon in he NFL and we all know how accurate those can be.

Bottom Line: I don't believe you can make any significant conclusions on the quality of a recruiting class based on just a recruiting board's definition of "blue chip" players since their rating criteria is not really standardized across services, is focused largely on physical traits verses character traits, and include game stats and team success related evaluations that do really account for talent disparities across schools and regions.

Historically the percentage of 4 and 5 star players plays out to a much higher success rate than 3 and 2 star players. This is reflected with national champions and on draft day. All of our championship teams were stocked full of 4 and 5 star players.

We need to get back to that.

Unfortunately we only have 2.5 stellar recruiters on our team:

Mac, Gray, and quarter Skipper / quarter Rumph.

All of the assistant coaches should be really good recruiters. With the amount of talent in Florida there was no reason we shouldn't be racking up.

I expect this year to be significantly better. I think we pull in a top-seven class.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
So he doesn't have enough o linemen to have a spring game and he makes that a priority? Duh? LB? DT? Recognizing you don't have enough players to practice is an ability? Ok, sure. I feel you are making stuff up at this point.
Making the O-line a priority seems obvious, but it was too difficult for Muschamp to figure out.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Making the O-line a priority seems obvious, but it was too difficult for Muschamp to figure out.

He didn't understand that we needed linebackers either.

Or quarterbacks.

Or receivers.

Or tight ends.

But we did need 55 DBs.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
He didn't understand that we needed linebackers either.

Or quarterbacks.

Or receivers.

Or tight ends.

But we did need 55 DBs.

I stand by my statement:

Muschamp is truly the best defensive mind of our age - he is so good he can shut down BOTH offenses (simultaneously)! :rimshot:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You'd have to be a moron - or Kirk Herbstreit - to draw any conclusion about this team or the coaching staff from the bowl game. It's amazing that we were able to win anything after the imp mentally switched to WR around game 9 or so.

re: Recruiting. It's hard not to be somewhat disappointed with 2016. We didn't close on some that we should have but in our defense our coaches were up against staffs that have had continuity and recent NC rings. Florida doesn't have the luster it had when Meyer or the 'Chump had their sophomore successes. The good news is winning cures all and once we put an exciting and competent offense on the field, as all indications are we will, the recruits will follow.

I expect us to be able to outscore everyone we play next year and I'm looking forward to one helluva a game against 'bama come December.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I stand by my statement:

Muschamp is truly the best defensive mind of our age - he is so good he can shut down BOTH offenses (simultaneously)! :rimshot:
Great post, gave me a laugh. But honestly his defense was only really good 1 year (Dan Quinn). The other years they had good talent and made good plays but also always seem to the bed right at the worst times. Part of that I'm sure is due to them being on the field constantly due to offensive suckage but still.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Great post, gave me a laugh. But honestly his defense was only really good 1 year (Dan Quinn). The other years they had good talent and made good plays but also always seem to the bed right at the worst times. Part of that I'm sure is due to them being on the field constantly due to offensive suckage but still.
He probably had the worst 4th down defense in the history of college football.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
4th and a mile? call a weird "check" that half the backfield isn't familiar with, then scratch your head when they all do the wrong thing and a guy catches a wide open ball 40 yards up the field...

:trainwreck:

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Historically the percentage of 4 and 5 star players plays out to a much higher success rate than 3 and 2 star players. This is reflected with national champions and on draft day. All of our championship teams were stocked full of 4 and 5 star players.

We need to get back to that.

Unfortunately we only have 2.5 stellar recruiters on our team:

Mac, Gray, and quarter Skipper / quarter Rumph.

All of the assistant coaches should be really good recruiters. With the amount of talent in Florida there was no reason we shouldn't be racking up.

I expect this year to be significantly better. I think we pull in a top-seven class.

Kerry Dixon not on the staff anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator