Top 10 Positives About McElwain Going into Season 2

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody says he failed but he's definitely missed on dt's. Let's be honest, bama's not gonna let a powerhouse recruiter take a lateral job.
We've taken 1 260 lb DT in two years. That's a failure IMO. It doesn't mean it's necessarily his fault, kids are usually recruited PRIMARILY by geographic area, but he has to own his position group and be pushing the other coaches... or otherwise get the job done.

I like him and he's a good hire, but let's hope he gets better.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
To summarize:
Law says Rumph is a failure, but he likes him nonetheless. Failure as a recruiter, but likes him as a coach.
No difference with Shannon, IMO.

Yea, I was just a little shocked that Law actually liked something or someone.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
To summarize:
Law says Rumph is a failure, but he likes him nonetheless. Failure as a recruiter, but likes him as a coach.
No difference with Shannon, IMO.
Atleast rumph landed Clayton. Shannon has been awful on the trail.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Three things I'm watching:

1. Do we play better in the second half?
2. Do we play better as the season progresses?
3. Do we play better as Coach Mac's system is in place after another year?

These sound elementary but they have to happen if he is to be a good/great coach. I personally believe he is. I think his ability to handle these kids is a huge asset. It is evident they love playing for him. He is the exact opposite of WM. He's a fun guy. I think we score considerably more points this year.

rswgator

May 28, 2016
The gameday coach is absolutely hilarious. Barely squeaking by Vandy and overtime versus FAU then getting obliterated against Bama, FSU and the bowl game. The guy couldn't get the team to play a bowl game well. A worthless bowl game. I think he was 2-4 vs ranked teams. Not sure how that equates to excellent gameday coaching.

That fake FG against the Hat was AWFUL game day coaching. The jury is out on Mac all around. Here's to proving my ass wrong.

nothing done w/harris at QB counts last year.........NOTHING

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
nothing done w/harris at QB counts last year.........NOTHING
You beat me to it. If anything Coach Mac gets bonus points for winning the Vandy, USCe and FAU games given a QB that couldn't throw and a kicker who couldn't kick. Hard to win when both teams know your best scoring option is your defense.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You beat me to it. If anything Coach Mac gets bonus points for winning the Vandy, USCe and FAU games given a QB that couldn't throw and a kicker who couldn't kick. Hard to win when both teams know your best scoring option is your defense.
:clap: :exactly:. When you're left a steaming pile of shyt at QB from the last shyt coach you tend to have issues. What Mac did to keep that team together after the Grier issue and win 10 games and go to the SECCG was IMO a good job. Asschamp would have crapped the bed in those games, ala Ga. Southern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.