Top 10 Quarterbacks in UF History

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’d put Leak in front of Grossman and Bell in front of Matthews. Leak was the more accomplished passer of the two in Zook’s offense and Bell was more simply more talented than Matthews.

Grossman and Matthews had great college careers, but so much of it was due to Spurrier calling the plays. Kerwin Bell would have thrived in a Spurrier offense, Chris Leak even more.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
John Brantley still owned the decade with 4750 yards and 30 tds despite playing for several retarded OCs. He has to be on the list.

Leak's accomplishments are likewise so much amazing given he played for a shttfest of 3 terrible OCs.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
John Brantley still owned the decade with 4750 yards and 30 tds despite playing for several retarded OCs. He has to be on the list.

Leak's accomplishments are likewise so much amazing given he played for a shttfest of 3 terrible OCs.

No argument there, but correct me if I am wrong but in the not too distant past, I believe you were sporting quite the chubby for one Larry Fedora, so much so that after you pleasured yourself fawning over him as a potential HC, you were able to maintain your Fedora erection b/c you thought he was the answer. All the while he is by far the worst head coach I have ever seen personally at the fine art of game management. So at least you were able to "cum" around. Better late than never :lmao2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No argument there, but correct me if I am wrong but in the not too distant past, I believe you were sporting quite the chubby for one Larry Fedora,
It made the joke flow better. If I said one decent OC and two terrible ones, most of the morons on here would think Cousin Eddie was the decent one.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

In just two seasons no less. He was pacing 60 TDS, 10k yards and 2 self catches, if given the reigns for a full 4 years. It really is surprisingly impressive.

That said, of all people who rail against the wins/stats against the VUs and directional schools, the vast majority of Brantley’s stats came against just that. Bad OCs and system(for him). That’s not in question. But he was horrific in the big games or against anyone decent. The uga game in 2010 may be the only exception. He was outstanding that day. Of course, he was also facing a defense coached by....

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Would be more entertaining if we listed the Top 10 Worst Starting QB in UF history.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Would be more entertaining if we listed the Top 10 Worst Starting QB in UF history.

So much tougher to judge. Great coaching can mask a lot of problems and at least make someone tolerable(see DJ ‘97-99, Franks ‘18).

Bad coaching, on the other hand, can destroy even the most talented players(Grossman ‘02, Grier outside of one half, Brantley to an extent).

Put Leak, JB and Grier in Spurrier’s offenses during their prime at UF, and they would’ve been much better. Put DW, Matthews and Grossman in WM/Mac type offenses and we’re singing different tunes. And by the same token, put Driskel in Meyer’s system during its talent peak, and he’s not making that “worst” list at all, imo.

Even more subjective than the original premise.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I would like to see a list of top 10 of QBs that exceeded expectations. Trask is probably number 1 but I bet an interesting list could be made.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I would like to see a list of top 10 of QBs that exceeded expectations. Trask is probably number 1 but I bet an interesting list could be made.

Trask, Matthews, Grossman, and if we’re honest, probably Murphy and Treon. They should’ve never been here, at least as QBs.

Related, I always got the impression that Berlin was a d-bag when he was first coming in. But he far and away exceeded my expectations for d-baggery.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Trask, Matthews, Grossman, and if we’re onjecosnd honest, probably Murphy and Treon. They should’ve never been here, at least as QBs.

Related, I always got the impression that Berlin was a d-bag when he was first coming in. But he far and away exceeded my expectations for d-baggery.
Murphy is probably way up there.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Kerwin Bell comes to mind. Out of tiny Lafayette High School in near by Mayo, Bell was not recruited by major college programs and became a walk-on at Florida. Buried deep on the depth chart when he arrived on campus, he worked his way up and was named the starter days before the 1984 opener with Miami when Senior Dale Dorminey went down with an injury.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Kerwin Bell comes to mind. Out of tiny Lafayette High School in near by Mayo, Bell was not recruited by major college programs and became a walk-on at Florida. Buried deep on the depth chart when he arrived on campus, he worked his way up and was named the starter days before the 1984 opener with Miami when Senior Dale Dorminey went down with an injury.

Wow, completely overlooked Bell in my post above. Good catch. You’re right. He should be at or near the top.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t forget Bobby Sabelhaus. Any list without him is worthless. He should probably be somewhere around 7-8 IMO.
Imo.he was the worst. Ive never seen a D1 scholarship QB who literally couldnt throw the ball far enough to complete a screen pass to the wide side.

I never really knew what happened to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.