Torrian Gray new cornerbacks coach

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
So how do we see this affecting the recruitment of Elam? I would think it helps us get back into his mind considering he was just in Athens and probably macking it up with Warren.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
This seems like a GREAT hire! Gray has been an assistant for a long time, he seems due a DC job sooner or later. I wonder if, given his connection to Grantham, he's a "DC-in-waiting" type hire to replace Grantham in a year or two.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
This seems like a GREAT hire! Gray has been an assistant for a long time, he seems due a DC job sooner or later. I wonder if, given his connection to Grantham, he's a "DC-in-waiting" type hire to replace Grantham in a year or two.

Hopefully he can evolve past the “Randy type” that’s a great position coach but is completely lost when it comes to calling a game...I watched him run his base D for an entire game with the only mix up being an all out blitz on guess which down?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My concern is he might be Grantham's DC in waiting if Grantham leaves. But for now, it's a great hire.

I've heard he (like Seider) has wanted to be in Florida for a long time. The Butterteeth situation poisoned the pond for him and he took the Skins job, but he is a lifetime college coach and a stellar recruiter.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My concern is he might be Grantham's DC in waiting if Grantham leaves. But for now, it's a great hire.

I've heard he (like Seider) has wanted to be in Florida for a long time. The Butterteeth situation poisoned the pond for him and he took the Skins job, but he is a lifetime college coach and a stellar recruiter.
Why would you be concerned about gray being a DC in the future? I could be reading you wrong but the guy was with Bud Foster for a decade and he's a guy wed want on staff for a long time. He's as good of a future DC prospect there is ,if we're projecting here.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I still remember the UK and Mizzou games that season where they jumped routes and just wrecked the whole QBs timing all game...I’ve never seen it that frequently before or since and Gray is a huge reason why...we’ve had the athletes to pull it off this whole time but the mans game prep and coaching are impeccable and it says a lot about the way he was taught to play so he can pass it on to our players now

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
both of those guys watched a lot of film, not sure if that was a Gray influence or not

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Take one step back.... and two steps forward. I was sorry to see Coach Gray leave for the NFL and am damn glad to see him coming back to the Gators. Great hire!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Take one step back.... and two steps forward. I was sorry to see Coach Gray leave for the NFL and am damn glad to see him coming back to the Gators. Great hire!
I never thought it was one step back with Warren or English leaving. If it was one step back then we took four steps forward with Torrian Gray.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's actually three steps forward.

1) Improved technique
2) Better recruiting
3) More reliable DBs allows Grantham the freedom to scheme more aggressive

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
This secondary was stacked, and we got destroyed by Mizzu and Ugly and had horrible DB breakdowns often.

Great time to upgrade.

We were definitely not stacked at the secondary when we played Ugly. Stewart, Wilson did not play, and Henderson went down early. We had Mcwilliams out there getting picked on the whole time, basically a 4rth string.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Why would you be concerned about gray being a DC in the future? I could be reading you wrong but the guy was with Bud Foster for a decade and he's a guy wed want on staff for a long time. He's as good of a future DC prospect there is ,if we're projecting here.
I'd be ok with him being DC right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.