Torrian Gray new cornerbacks coach

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
If we land Elam, to go along with an already excellent DB class, add some first class coaching (Gray plus DL?), while generally continuing to improve across the board, we shouldn't be seeing nearly as many breakdowns and WTF moments as we did last year. All that equates to the possibility of great things in the very near future. I am more optimistic than I have been in a long, long time. It's great to be a Florida Gator!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If we land Elam, to go along with an already excellent DB class, add some first class coaching (Gray plus DL?), while generally continuing to improve across the board, we shouldn't be seeing nearly as many breakdowns and WTF moments as we did last year. All that equates to the possibility of great things in the very near future. I am more optimistic than I have been in a long, long time. It's great to be a Florida Gator!

If you would have told me we would be in this position after the Mullen hire I would have laughed. Now I am digesting some crow and loving the taste.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This secondary was stacked, and we got destroyed by Mizzu and Ugly and had horrible DB breakdowns often.

Great time to upgrade.
Face palm was for the the first four words. Stacked? Really?

CJ was great this season, as was CGJ, but the safety play was wildly inconsistent (though occasionally brilliant) and once Wilson went down, whoever tried to take his place was burned a bunch. (Though I thought Dean got much better as the season progressed.) Depending on what other commits happen this cycle, we could see two or even three freshmen get a lot of playing time next season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn’t find a mic’d up of him at UF.

by the way you guys will notice that the corners and safeties are all out there for those drills. That's pretty similar to every football practice I've ever seen CBs and safeties working together for obvious reasons, and that's why I criticize both Warren and English for the DB play this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Face palm was for the the first four words. Stacked? Really
We won our first national championship with a first-year defensive coordinator, who made a dominant defense with one converted running back, one converted wide receiver and two 3* players in the secondary.

Even with Wilson out we had top 10 to maybe top 20 at worst talent in the secondary. And we had a lot of talent on the bench, doing nothing.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
by the way you guys will notice that the corners and safeties are all out there for those drills. That's pretty similar to every football practice I've ever seen CBs and safeties working together for obvious reasons, and that's why I criticize both Warren and English for the DB play this year.
upload_2019-1-22_14-21-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-22_14-21-0.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-22_14-21-0.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 74

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Will Sammon of "The Athletic” wrote a nice piece today on Torrian Gray. Here is an excerpt,

“Gray’s former players, the coaches who know him or know of him and the reporters who have covered him all tend to say the same thing about him: Gray is viewed as a superb teacher of technique and fundamentals. He focuses on smaller details. He harps on getting technique right. He teaches defensive backs what to do while playing in- and out-of-phase (in-phase means that a defender is pretty much even with a receiver running straight downfield), instructing when to play the ball, where to have eyes and how to understand coverage recognition against receivers in pattern match zone defense.

Grantham’s defense often looks like it’s man-to-man, but it’s more of a pattern match zone defense. In theory, the execution of that style allows defenses to play tighter coverage, which forces the quarterbacks to make more accurate throws. That can help create a better pass rush, which increases the likelihood of turnovers.”

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is Wilde. Torrian Gray is the picture of youth. He seems to have not aged a bit since he last coached us despite his life of debauchery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.