Recruiting Transfer Portal: Jordan Hermann enters Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
We brought in Napier to "build" a system...He studied Saban's twice...And his process is modeled after Saban's. Saban has nothing but good things to say about him...That said, Napier's scheme is his own, a conglomeration of several systems.

I look at Napier like Pell, who made it MUCH easier for SOS...who has said as much. Whether Napier survives or not...he's doing the heavy lifting for the next guy.
I agree in principle. I'm just referring to the choices that might have been available and how things "felt" at that time. I am not questioning the hire at this point because BN is obviously building for the future, while doing it with integrity and determination. I like that a lot. My only real concerns are that we are swimming in a cesspool with the slime kings of CFB and navigating the next couple of years will be tricky if not damn near impossible without a big surge in the moolah department. Even "reasonable" fans expect positive results, and they typically expect them now. How much of a grace period CBN gets from Gator Nation remains to be seen. I hope he gets a fair chance and that he succeeds at the highest level. In the fullness of time, all will be revealed.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

I have to agree he may be the safer pick to win but I think the guy is a scumbag. I wouldnt trust him as far as I can throw him.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
We have so much stench lingering over the program from hiring a slew of lousy coaches I wouldnt want Kiffen to drive past the swamp yet alone coach in it.
I do understand your feelings. I lived in the Nashville area back during Kiffin's UT days and I hated the little dooshbag with a passion. I still don't "like" him, but he is not the crappiest coach or the worst person in CFB. But in the present day, BN is the closest thing to a "white knight" you're going to find and I'm pulling for him as hard as anyone.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I do understand your feelings. I lived in the Nashville area back during Kiffin's UT days and I hated the little dooshbag with a passion. I still don't "like" him, but he is not the crappiest coach or the worst person in CFB. But in the present day, BN is the closest thing to a "white knight" as you're going to find and I'm pulling for him as hard as anyone.

I have hopes for Billy but I dont have much hope in our admin building. It sounds like they gave him the money and support to hire the staff he wanted but it is also sounding like they are going to tie his hands considering NIL. Even Kiffen or someone else would be facing the same thing.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I am very please with the Napier pick. They loved the guy at UL. Many were not happy with Kelly over Napier at LSU. That was a huge head scratcher to me:dunno: I am wondering how he likes August in BR? Most NE Yankees really struggle (Humidity...Far worse than even FL)

Again, I much prefer the heavier pass vs run. I really wanted Muschamp to have picked up Kerwin as OC...but Muschamp would not turn over control. Kerwin wants to call the plays.

I am hoping this plays out...I am willing to eat crow if it does not...but things should improve...let's first play a season and see.

For all those Debbie Downers at least the facilities, budget, and staffing positions are now in place.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I have hopes for Billy but I dont have much hope in our admin building. It sounds like they gave him the money and support to hire the staff he wanted but it is also sounding like they are going to tie his hands considering NIL. Even Kiffen or someone else would be facing the same thing.
It would absolutely be the same dilemma for any UF HC in the new paradigm. If the administration refuses to break a state law while others go at it hammer and tong, you're going to be facing a challenge until things finally shake out legally and money-wise. The key is to make enough progress in the early going to be around long enough to build a really successful program without throwing reasonable caution and basic decency to the wind. Like many here, I don't want to cheat or break the law and I'm pretty sure BN doesn't either. We just have no choice but to hang in there and give the man a real shot - it's also the right thing to do.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I wonder about the locker room chemistry when the QB is making 9 mil on a NIL deal and everyone else is making pennies. He will be driving a royce while the rest are buying scooters.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder about the locker room chemistry when the QB is making 9 mil on a NIL deal and everyone else is making pennies. He will be driving a royce while the rest are buying scooters.
I can see that leading to a LOT of problems in the locker room. If it has not already. Some of them on the team may be ready to light his azz up when the pads come on.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yup. If Bama ain't liking it, how long before they strongarm the NCAA to make folks compliant?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

I think the players will adjust to that pretty quickly. The "don't count another man's money" credo seems equally applicable here. But, when the coach is pressured by the booster who paid for that QB to play a guy when the rest of the locker room thinks someone else gives them a better chance to win, you have a real problem.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I've said this many times before...CFB needs to drop the NCAA as a ruling body.

I'd like to see a CFB commissioner. I'd like one for all the major sports. With the NIL...NCAA is outdated slow and inconsistent.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yup. If Bama ain't liking it, how long before they strongarm the NCAA to make folks compliant?
The NCAA doesn’t have the ability to conduct an investigation in a timely fashion. Nothing will happen to anyone utilizing NIL as a recruiting tool.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Your right but it will be the downfall of college football. Mark my words.
Meh. Change is inevitable. Us older folks might get fed up with it but that won’t end college football. It’ll continue to evolve with the changing landscape. As long as the television revenue continues to flow, it’ll thrive.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Safer than the guy who finished 7th, 6th & 13th in his first 3 years? (Then imploded in year 4.)

I think we’d be encouraged if BN were to finish with consecutive top 10’s to start out WHILE making these fundamental improvements to our organization and culture and not carrying Grantham deadweight.

As it stands, we look pretty set at QB, RB & OL. If we can get our WRs and TEs to produce reasonably well we should be pretty good on offense thanks to our transfers.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Safer than the guy who finished 7th, 6th & 13th in his first 3 years? (Then imploded in year 4.)

I think we’d be encouraged if BN were to finish with consecutive top 10’s to start out WHILE making these fundamental improvements to our organization and culture and not carrying Grantham deadweight.

As it stands, we look pretty set at QB, RB & OL. If we can get our WRs and TEs to produce reasonably well we should be pretty good on offense thanks to our transfers.

THIS

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
So my solution to paying players has actually been something of clearing house hybrid. All deals have to be approved by the member university’s compliance board and submitted to a national registery. Your proceeds get split in two groups. 50% goes to a personal account that a student athlete can access any time after graduation within 20 years of the end of playing days. The other 50% funds a collective account that pays out even amounts to all ncaa student athletes at their division level. To be Eligible for payouts, student athlete must have made at least one contribution during the calendar year. So the women’s volleyball team needs to have at least one collective deal with restaurants in town or the local car wash or something. If we really want to beef that up, all broadcast deals would require 50% of the contract to go to the general fund. Levels the playing field for everyone, allows the bigger star athletes to capitalize the most, but maintains an amateur status and keeps coaches from needing to be GM’s negotiating contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb