GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I haven't seen any mention of our latest OL transfer, Lyndell Hudson. He's an OT from FIU. I think he's the 4th OL transfer we've taken so far. BN definitely trying to build depth in the trenches.

OL develop differently, as we know. Maybe he has potential and will develop with good coaching. Even a decent OL prospect should be able to take a number of snaps and be effective. No? Of course, we know the staff has been slow in the portal for whatever reasons so maybe this is the best they could do under the circumstances. But I'm optimistic. My question is, how is his lateral movement and quickness? If he's playing RT, rush ends will abuse him if he's slow.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OL develop differently, as we know. Maybe he has potential and will develop with good coaching. Even a decent OL prospect should be able to take a number of snaps and be effective. No? Of course, we know the staff has been slow in the portal for whatever reasons so maybe this is the best they could do under the circumstances. But I'm optimistic. My question is, how is his lateral movement and quickness? If he's playing RT, rush ends will abuse him if he's slow.
Like Mason Halter getting thrown like a rag-doll by that fsu safety. Talk about embarrassing. smh

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don’t get it. He’s not going to play.

I wouldn’t say it’s likely, but also not out of the question either. How difficult would it be to work his way into 2nd/3rd string, making him an injury away from relevance? It also gives him a year of reps and practicing advantage over Lagway. Lastly, have you ever been to Pahokee? It’s a wonder he didn’t do this two years ago.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I wouldn’t say it’s likely, but also not out of the question either. How difficult would it be to work his way into 2nd/3rd string, making him an injury away from relevance? It also gives him a year of reps and practicing advantage over Lagway. Lastly, have you ever been to Pahokee? It’s a wonder he didn’t do this two years ago.
I agree. If he comes in this summer there's a good chance he's the starter in fall of '24.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Why? I see this everywhere and he has not been on our radar as long or on the camp/Elite 11 circuit to build him up. But, he is already nearly the size of our current roster QBs, he has as much or more HS experience than Max Browne, and from film it seems he has a bigger and more accurate arm than any of them. What I like best from his HS film for early playing time, is he makes decisions on time in the offense. Watch just the first few plays on his film. I may be overhyping him, but his HS film is better than Lagway's and their stats are very similar with each having some better results. Lagway is a better runner, but Simmons can run. Both do fairly well anticipating WRs getting open, rather than waiting ala Emory Jones.

Watch these two highlight films from last year for comparison on timing and decisiveness. Most of Simmons's tape shows drop, set, assess, throw or get out of the pocket quickly and in rhythm. He even throws a number of passes with pressure in his face. Compare Simmons' first 7-8 passes to even just Lagway's first 3. Lagway lingers in the pocket, is slower to decide, pats the ball, shuffles around, etc. Lagway has tremendous skills, obviously. Probably a bigger arm. But, he is not nearly as tuned in on how to play the position within his offense. It seems obvious to me. Lagway is the one who will need more acclimation time. If you disagree, watch the film and let me know where you think I'm misreading what I'm seeing.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
You don’t want your freshman QB to play much. This isn’t about 2023 but 24-26.

He comes in, starts practicing & getting enculturation to the whole program, film study, college life, etc. He’s the 4th scholarship arm for practices and summer workouts. He gets some reps in up to 4 games.

Lagway comes in next year with opportunity to grow & compete with a year separating them. Game on.

This guy is superior to Rashada. He’d be a huge bonus. The QB room jumps up in quality. Total win/win.

Edit: After watching the videos posted, either of those guys will push for playing time immediately. There will be a learning curve but short for them.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Simmons instantly becomes are best QB the second he steps on campus (assuming it’s 2023)

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
These Simmons posts should likely be moved to a Simmons reclass thread, but I think the biggest Lagway risk is not us having a bad season next year. The biggest risk is Simmons coming in and showing Lagway that he can't start until he is a redshirt junior.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
If he comes early we suddenly have a whole new set of problems. Even if just our board is any indication.
"The most popular guy on the team is always....."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb