Transfers rules changing again?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The NCAA Division I Council announced Friday that it has relaxed transfer rules for incoming freshmen athletes in certain situations, including those on teams that have made coaching changes. Incoming freshmen who enroll in summer school and receive financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their coach leaves prior to the first day of fall classes. The rule only applies to those students who take their first semester of classes before the start of their first regular (non-summer) academic term, which means that it isn't applicable to football early enrollees.

Walk-ons who receive financial aid and non-recruited walk-ons can also leave without sitting out. The new rules go into effect for student-athletes who transfer to new schools this fall.

The Council defeated another proposal that would have made schools count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team scholarship limits for two years, even if the student stayed enrolled in graduate school after exhausting athletic eligibility.

NCAA relaxes transfer rules, opens immediate eligibility to athletes in certain situations

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Slippery slope philosophy maintains its undefeated record.

On the plus side, no one will even care about hat ceremonies and twitter trolling by recruits anymore because NSD is officially meaningless. So I guess there’s that.

But I’ll ask again, how does a few hundred players affected over the years due to change in circumstances justify the tens of thousands of players that will now be potentially harmed as a result?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I don't disagree with granting immediate eligibility when a coach is leaving, especially if that coach leaves days after signing up a recruit.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I'm not sure if it's good or bad for the game, definitely will make things more interesting. What I dislike more than anything is the kids are being taught to not be held accountable for their decisions. They make a big hoopla about where their going to "school" then they get there and something doesn't go their way and they can just leave the school at the drop of a hat. Not to mention their accountability to their teammates. The real world doesn't work that way.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
This is a rabbit hole/toothpaste out of the tube moment that continues the lack of responsibility on the part of all concerned ( universities, coaches, players, the whole ball of wax) that was magnified by the players suing the NCAA several years ago. Sigh, it's all about the Benjamins...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I added the cbs story into the first post.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I'm not sure if it's good or bad for the game, definitely will make things more interesting. What I dislike more than anything is the kids are being taught to not be held accountable for their decisions. They make a big hoopla about where their going to "school" then they get there and something doesn't go their way and they can just leave the school at the drop of a hat. Not to mention their accountability to their teammates. The real world doesn't work that way.
Yes it does. If you don’t like something or someone at your place of work, you’re free to find a different place to work without penalty in most places. In fact, college students can transfer universities whenever they want with no academic penalty. Not sure why this should be different.

My biggest qualm with this change is the potential for recruiting players on someone else’s roster. Bama and auburn already cheat enough - don’t need another way for them to get top players.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The NCAA Division I Council announced Friday that it has relaxed transfer rules for incoming freshmen athletes in certain situations, including those on teams that have made coaching changes. Incoming freshmen who enroll in summer school and receive financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their coach leaves prior to the first day of fall classes. The rule only applies to those students who take their first semester of classes before the start of their first regular (non-summer) academic term, which means that it isn't applicable to football early enrollees.

Walk-ons who receive financial aid and non-recruited walk-ons can also leave without sitting out. The new rules go into effect for student-athletes who transfer to new schools this fall.

The Council defeated another proposal that would have made schools count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team scholarship limits for two years, even if the student stayed enrolled in graduate school after exhausting athletic eligibility.

NCAA relaxes transfer rules, opens immediate eligibility to athletes in certain situations

"Incoming freshmen who enroll in summer school and receive financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their coach leaves prior to the first day of fall classes. The rule only applies to those students who take their first semester of classes before the start of their first regular (non-summer) academic term, which means that it isn't applicable to football early enrollees."

How many football or basketball head coaches do you know that have left after the start of Summer A classes?

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018

In this day and age unfortunately the “real world” works exactly that way...there’s no accountability and no one has any scruples or loyalty to anything but themselves

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I feel bad for the kid tbh especially when “big name” players and schools get immediate eligibility cause they didn’t like the meals at the cafeteria

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I think a Student / player should get 1 free transfer no matter what. But only 1 unless he graduated.

And I think if a player selects a team...that's it. No changing before signing day. Infact, I would do away with signing day. You can sign all the way up to the cut-off.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Another NCAA waiver denied when it appears there was a legitimate reason:

Time to lawyer up? NCAA denies waiver for former Georgia TE Luke Ford

Time to lawyer up? NCAA denies waiver for former Georgia TE Luke Ford

Justin Fields is likely going to start for Ohio State at quarterback this season after failing to crack the starting lineup at Georgia and bolting Kirby Smart’s program. Luke Ford would have probably been a backup tight end next season for Illinois and he too left Athens this offseason but at least he had an understandable reason for doing so.

In the NCAA’s eyes, that apparently didn’t matter as Ford announced on Wednesday his hardship waiver to play next season at Illinois has been denied. Ford spent one season in Athens but was seeking to return to his home state closer to an ailing grandparent while still being able to play immediately for Lovie Smith’s program.

So much for that.

This news follows the NCAA’s decision to deny a waiver to Coastal Carolina offensive lineman Brock Hoffman, who left Virginia Tech to be closer to his mom. This mother recently had surgery to remove a brain tumor.

This is just the latest head-scratching decision by the NCAA and the message seems to be clear, every player seeking a waiver would be wise to lawyer up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.