Trask Declares for the draft

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He can play as long as he hasn’t hired an agent, as far as I know.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mullen does NOT want this guy back. Expect him to do whatever he can to encourage his exit. I’m not joking, Mullen is ready to move on to his offense.

I have a source that's saying Mullen has already reached out and met with Trask about his future plans. Apparently, he and another coach were spotted going into Kyle's apartment on Tuesday, which they feel was Mullen's way of talking him into returning. So there could be something to this.

Just full disclosure, the person did say Mullen showed up with three of those empty banana boxes from Publix, a new roll of masking tape and a sharpie. But I wouldn't read too much into that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
yvnzhycukdour1oceegt
HOF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Based on sideline interactions, I think he and Jones are pretty tight. He's not going to stay and take away from Jones' chance at the limelight imo. Besides, I'm pretty sure I saw something on facebook this morning stating that Trask would play in the bowl game even though he's declared for the draft. Don't think he can return once he's already declared, right?
He can return if he hasnt signed and agent.

They have that whole exploratory option where they get feedback from NFL panel regarding draft stock.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trask is a better QB prospect than all but Lawrence and Wilson. The fact people have Trey Lance and Mac Jones ahead of him is laughable. Go ahead and add Dwayne Haskins 2.0 (aka Justin Fields) to the list.

I hope Trask goes to the draft and is scooped by a competent franchise like the Steelers or Patriots, and he kills it.
I like this idea. Trask in a Patriots uniform would be awesome. A Gator great replacing a Gator reject.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Trask strikes me as a young man who was raised to follow his heart. All logic in high school and early UF career pointed to transferring. He didn’t. Logic says he should take the money. Professional advisers are probably telling him the same. I say follow your heart. If that means coming back that would be awesome. He will have plenty of guys to throw to: Cope, XH, Whittemore, Shorter, Davis, Zip a new guy or two and Wells is never leaving with his lifetime waiver.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think if Trask comes back next year, his numbers will be worse but he'll be more ready for a long and successful career in the NFL (assuming no major injury).

Bill Parcells had a famous formula for drafting QBs:
  • Be a three-year starter
  • Be a senior in college
  • Graduate from college
  • Start 30 games
  • Win 23 games
  • Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
  • Complete at least 60 percent of passes thrown
Of course, things have changed a bit since then (more games played per season, the TD-INT ratio is a little low given modern offenses, maybe 3-1 should be the bottom limit, and the senior thing is dated).

It's not on the list, but Parcells also liked tall QBs with strong arms.

As you can see, the criteria focus on experience, accuracy, and good decision making. You don't get experience carrying a clipboard on the sideline.

Measured against these criteria, Trask compares to Joe Burrow. Burrow didn't start enough and neither did Trask. The QBs who met all elements of the criteria last year were Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts.

These criteria aren't perfect, Brady, Roethlisberger, and Aaron Rogers didn't meet all the points, though they came close. The criteria do help weed out the Haskins and Trubiskys of the world.

Alex.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Pitts isnt lasting that long.
Probably not, but he is a TE which don't usually go that high. But he's a game changer so you are probably right. He will probably go top10.

Now that I think about it, Toney would be a prototypical NE slot receiver who could also be used in the backfield.

F-it, lets slate all 3 to the Pats, lol. I would definitely start watch NFL again if that happened.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This would be SwampDonkulous!!!

But it ain't gonna' happen. He's gone.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen to Trask: "Remember your senior year in high school? That's what next year would be like for you."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Reviewed almost a dozen hypothetical drafts, which have Trask going as low as #86 and as high as 12th to Kyle Shanahan’s Niners. The Steelers at #28 and the Saints at #29 are also said to be interested.

Trask could find himself in an immediately attractive situation. The prospect of that may be too hard for him to say no to. I say that from an organizational view more so than the money. My sense of Trask is, he’s not going to be a slave to money. It’ll come in due time.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trask knows damn well he’s not wanted back. He’s gone.
The ironic thing is I don't think many here doubt for a minute that Mullen really does feel this way, as far as being ready to move on from Trask. That's despite him being one of the best QB's we've ever fielded and arguably the most productive passer we've even seen in a Gator uniform. Not to mention as stand-up as you can get and perfect representation of the student athlete, unselfish to a fault. That tells you all you need to know about Mullen that he could see all this and think, "Nope, that's not my guy. Time to move on".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.