Trask has to be in the driver's seat for the Heisman, right?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen would be crucified if he got Trask hurt just to put up more stats in garbage time, and rightly so.
No he wouldn't. Everyone knows Trask is chasing a Heisman. These are not normal circumstances.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Sec14Gator @ltraz

I get what you’re saying. As I said, I do think it’s something Mullen could improve on. I just thought this game was not a case of simply letting off the gas. I think it was yet another ugly 12:00 game against an opponent that is getting to your QB. If we can run the ball and get out, I’m ok with it. Clearly I’m in the minority here, but that’s my take.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I recognize that he let off the gas in the final drives. I was referencing earlier drives where we had a chance to put the game away. I thought we were aggressive in those cases. At the end, I get that we went conservative to close the game. I was just ok with it there.

Ftr, I agree on the QB power call. I thought that was dumb. But then again, I think it’s dumb every time we call it with KT.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No he wouldn't. Everyone knows Trask is chasing a Heisman. These are not normal circumstances.

Spurrier sat Wuerffel in 1995 against Northern Illinois in the middle of a Heisman run. Kresser set records and threw for 6TDs. The week before, it was Kresser, not starter Wuerffel, who threw fort he final two scores against uga(we were up 21 when DW was pulled). Wuerffel finished 3rd.

And you never answered my question. I want specifics and will give you one hour to produce.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

See I think he does. As I said in the game thread, we were trying to give KT passing TDs inside the 5 on two different occasions(one successfully). I feel like Mullen wants him to win it. I just don’t think he was willing to push the issue late.

Honestly I think it’s fairly moot. If Trask plays great in Atl(assuming we make it), and we win, he’ll get it. If we lose in Atl, it will be because Jones crushes our secondary and we can’t keep up. In that case, he wins. I don’t think anyone will question this game and whether or not we left points on the field.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is a candy ass play caller with a lead in the 2nd half. And our defense is ass the entire time.

At least mullen lit into slob todd, although it was largely symbolic. Mullen ain't firing anyone.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m going to have to disagree here. Yes, I want Mullen to have a little more killer instinct. But the reason Trask had not cleared 350 and 4TDs is because he was off his game at times early on. We are not just in the running for a potential Heisman. We’re also still in the running for championships. Leaving him in possibly at the expense of the rest of the year is what would’ve been short sighted a mistake.

And even with regard to killer instinct, while it’s not perfect, Mullen was calling pass plays from inside the 3. They failed because of the OL not protecting Trask, but he wasn’t content running the ball three times and taking the easy 3. I thought we were looking for a knockout blow several times when a modest run would’ve been a better option.

The HBC frequently called pass plays inside the 3.

Just keeping it real.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen’s in a no-win. If he keeps Trask in, and esp if he ends up dinged up for next week, he’s going to be criticized. If he gives EJ reps, which frankly makes a lot of sense, he’s not going for the jugular and he’s risking Trask’s Heisman chances.

Trask has 34 touchdowns and three picks against SEC competition. That’s damn near perfect. There isn’t another passer within two area codes, and certainly not in terms of the quality of teams he’s faced.

Two more regular-season games. That’s it. You can see the finish line. You’re balancing a lot of concerns. You want your people rested and healthy. Your quarterback is going to get two more excellent shots and likely Bama at adding to those numbers. These are high, high profile opportunities.

Me personally? I wouldn’t want to create the appearance of trying to help him win it. It cheapens it. Besides, team goals are more important and Trask is too good on his own. Don’t force it. Let it come to him, and it will.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Mullen’s in a no-win. If he keeps Trask in, and esp if he ends up dinged up for next week, he’s going to be criticized.

I didn’t quote the whole thing, but there is so much wrong with all of this. The issue is Mullen taking his foot off their throat not trying to be sure Trask isn’t hurt. Letting up has a secondary impact on Trask. It’s not about pulling Trask, which, if it happened would have been more understandable than the calls he made, including intentionally running Trask.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Wait, when is winning a QB a Heisman Trophy ever become more important than winning a National Championship? Keep the kid healthy, keep getting wins and play to beat Bama!
Agreed, sofla is wrong again. Getting the school another Heisman should be priority right now. I'm finding it more and more impossible to believe our Gators have a prayer against Bama.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t quote the whole thing, but there is so much wrong with all of this. The issue is Mullen taking his foot off their throat not trying to be sure Trask isn’t hurt. Letting up has a secondary impact on Trask. It’s not about pulling Trask, which, if it happened would have been more understandable than the calls he made, including intentionally running Trask.

You clearly lost a bet on the spread. No one in his right mind gets that worked up over “settling” for a 24-point win. Moreover, your logic that Mullen, the program and the empty spot next to Wuerffel’s statue need it is just a tad bit bass ackward.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Wait, when is winning a QB a Heisman Troohy ever become more important than winning a National Championship? Keep the kid healthy, keep getting wins and play to beat Bama!
Because our chances at beating Bama right now are extremely slim. At least the Heisman may actually give Mullen a small boost in recruiting, which he desperately needs.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I was cussing Mullen in the 2nd half. I couldn't understand why he would take his foot off the gas and leave Trask in. Why not put Jones in and let him get experience while protecting your #1 QB. Nope. QB draw. Ridiculous. I am very happy with our offense and the players we have on that side of the ball. I am very happy with the play calls except for a few qb draws here and there. And to be honest I don't know if that is Mullen or Trask calling his own number. I don't know how much freedom Trask has but I suspect he does have about as much as Mullen and Johnson will give. Sure looks like he earned it. BUT ... it was pretty obvious at the start of the 4th qtr the strategy totally changed and we went clock kill mode. Why not pull Trask and put in EJ and let him get time with the 1st string and an open playbook?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator