Trask has to be in the driver's seat for the Heisman, right?

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Because our chances at beating Bama right now are extremely slim. At least the Heisman may actually give Mullen a small boost in recruiting, which he desperately needs.
No, pretty sure the goal is to win championships. At least thats what hear around here.
Don't get me wrong, I want Trask to win the Heisman and I think he definitely deserves it but Championships are the overall goal.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014

I wanted him to throw another TD! Even questioned the QB power. Keeping Trask healthy & upright is what we have to have in order to even have a shot at any kind of championship. Championships > Heisman is all I'm saying.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, pretty sure the goal is to win championships. At least thats what hear around here.
Don't get me wrong, I want Trask to win the Heisman and I think he definitely deserves it but Championships are the overall goal.

Well maybe our defense shouldn’t be a laughingstock if we want to believe there’s a minuscule chance of sniffing a championship. Some of you guys just need to come to terms with reality.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen clearly played for a field goal twice today instead of trying to pick up a first down. Doing that just so you can run an extra 30 sec off the clock is frustrating, but it's even more frustrating when by doing so you take away your Heisman candidate's chance to make a big play, improve his numbers, and also try to put the game further out of reach by scoring more points.

I get wanting to pound the ball on second and 3, but throwing in that situation has rarely backfired this year. It just happened to in that series.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@FieldYates: Florida TE Kyle Pitts is now up to 29 catches for 513 yards and 11 receiving TD this season. That’s more receiving touchdowns than any tight end in the country had in all of 2019. Pitts has played in just 6 games. Future Sunday star.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah, I’m good with that. I don’t agree with a lot of what Mullen does. But that’s always been the case, with every coach. I don’t think he handles every situation the way I’d like, but I’ve come to terms with that. I just don’t find anything today to be that awful. Perfect, no. Logical at times, nope again. But I’m just not overly pissed at it either. Like with all things, I think the people who like Mullen are going to see things from a bit more positive vantage point, and those that don’t are going to be a little more critical. I’m good either way and don’t profess to be right all the time. We’ll see what transpires over the next few weeks.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen clearly played for a field goal twice today instead of trying to pick up a first down. Doing that just so you can run an extra 30 sec off the clock is frustrating, but it's even more frustrating when by doing so you take away your Heisman candidate's chance to make a big play, improve his numbers, and also try to put the game further out of reach by scoring more points.

I get wanting to pound the ball on second and 3, but throwing in that situation has rarely backfired this year. It just happened to in that series.
I think Mullen was pissed off when he played for a field goal late and started coasting. I think he was flustered with the offense and said" eff it, we're just gonna run this one out." Kinda like when spurrier punted on 3rd down just obviously not to that extreme.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I said it before, Trask will probably have to defeat Bama to get the Heisman. Watching the Bama game today, it seems Jones is gonna get a big push now with Fields probably not getting enough games to be showcased. Trask has had an amazing year, but he's gonna have to have a hell of a game against Bama especially in a loss to get the votes to get the trophy.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mullen was pissed off when he played for a field goal late and started coasting. I think he was flustered with the offense and said" eff it, we're just gonna run this one out." Kinda like when spurrier punted on 3rd down just obviously not to that extreme.

But the offense wasn't doing that poorly. Only Mullen knows his reasons, but if he has a lead and the defense is playing well, then he consistently takes his foot off the gas and plays Muschamp ball.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
But the offense wasn't doing that poorly. Only Mullen knows his reasons, but if he has a lead and the defense is playing well, then he consistently takes his foot off the gas and plays Muschamp ball.
This is just my theory. I thought the oline was getting it pushed in. And just about every other game Mullen has let trask throw it around for a while . It seemed like the shut down was intentional and definitely not what we've been seeing .

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is just my theory. I thought the oline was getting it pushed in. And just about every other game Mullen has let trask throw it around for a while . It seemed like the shut down was intentional and definitely not what we've been seeing .

My theory is that the shut down had more to do with the defense playing well. He did the same thing against uga and Vandy. I think the only reason we haven't seen this mindset more is because the defense hasn't been playing well in most games, and Mullen felt he needed the points.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Agreed, sofla is wrong again. Getting the school another Heisman should be priority right now. I'm finding it more and more impossible to believe our Gators have a prayer against Bama.
You always accuse me of being negative. I think that we have "a puncher's chance" against Bama, IF we get by Tennerc.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You always accuse me of being negative. I think that we have "a puncher's chance" against Bama, IF we get by Tennerc.
I think we have one hell of a lot better chance than the years we faced them under Butters, but it's still quite bleak. I watched that Auburn game yesterday and Bama made them look like a middle school team....without Saban even being on the sideline.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think we have one hell of a lot better chance than the years we faced them under Butters, but it's still quite bleak. I watched that Auburn game yesterday and Bama made them look like a middle school team....without Saban even being on the sideline.
Yep. Their offense and ours is about a wash. Their defense is fair and ours is atrocious. We’ll need to play flawlessly on offense and get a couple of turnovers to stand a chance.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

There are strong similarities between those Butters teams you mentioned and what Auburn rolled out yesterday. Not dreadful squads per se, but certainly terrible QB play that kills any chance at establishing momentum. Once the other, already superior, team gets a lead and knows you have no chance to match them, they play with an entirely different demeanor and the whole thing falls apart. I’ve changed my position on Bo Nix. Even T-Mobile won’t hire this train wreck.

As long as we’re able to score, we have a chance. That’s how mediocre Usce, A&M, Aub and Ole Miss teams have beaten Saban in the past. It’s the “great defense but suspect offense” teams that have never been close and get drilled every time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Quite honestly we are 4 or 5 gifted offensive players better than the rest of the trash heap that is the SEC east. Take away Trask, Pitts and Grimes and we are a .500 team. Problem I saw yesterday(and at other times this season) is AGAIN the offensive and defensive LOS... Trask was under pressure from UK and played a zone much of the first 3 quarters......I'm pretty sure Bama took notice and will be happy to let us try and dink around underneath and run the ball on us when they're on offense eating up the first half clock and then go downfield in the second half against our All 2 Star DB's..

There is hope but we may also get the ass whippin of a lifetime too....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Our Gators can win, but I think we need to score 50 points, and make a stop here and there. Turnovers could also be the difference.

When I think of what Devanta Smith could do to our secondary, I visibly wince. :fear: I can already picture Shawn Davis diving harmlessly at his feet.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
EJ is our next season QB. We should note that defences expect him to run and yet with poor blocking he slips through cracks for 5+ yards.
He will be an adept passer. He's good for the Gators. Trask deserves the Heisman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.