Treon Harris suspended indefinitely - Accuser drops complaint

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n74422 said:
I thought the press release was pretty darn good and paints the best possible picture for Harris. Was surprised about the "sloppy seconds" aspect, but hell, I'm old and conservative. If all this is true, I suspect we'll be losing a female Gator athlete sometime in the near future who may never live this whole episode down.

Huntley came off as fairly sleazy in my opinion. The press release was couched as some kind of "clarification" of what had been reported in the media. In fact, not much has been reported by the media of the incident. The "sloppy seconds" innuendo from him, among many other aspects of the release, was an obvious attempt to degrade the accuser. For all we know it was a makeout session.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n74540 said:
Maybe Huntley Johnson should be our new Head Coach.

I thought we already determined that Law was Huntley Johnson...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n74633 said:
Originally posted by WobbleGator View Post

Maybe Huntley Johnson should be our new Head Coach.

:exactly:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n74618 said:
Huntley came off as fairly sleazy in my opinion. The press release was couched as some kind of "clarification" of what had been reported in the media. In fact, not much has been reported by the media of the incident. The "sloppy seconds" innuendo from him, among many other aspects of the release, was an obvious attempt to degrade the accuser. For all we know it was a makeout session.

I got the impression he was trying to set the record strait and defend his client in the court of public opinion. Treon could still be guilty even if the girl is with 10 men earlier and even if she was the agressor... once she says "no"... that's the end of it, but I think he was trying to show that Treon didn't just take some girl he didn't know who displayed no interest, barge into her room and assault her.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
PastyStoole;n74618 said:

I disagree. He is defending his client against a very serious allegation that could result in going to prison. I thought his statement was rather polite given the subject matter. In our legal system the accuser does not presumptively occupy the high ground. Why is it unacceptable for an accused person to defend themselves in the court of public opinion?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n74641 said:
I disagree. He is defending his client against a very serious allegation that could result in going to prison. I thought his statement was rather polite given the subject matter. In our legal system the accuser does not presumptively occupy the high ground. Why is it unacceptable for an accused person to defend themselves in the court of public opinion?

He's not defending his client's actions of that night, he's condemning hers. The only thing he's saying in defense Treon is that he's been very cooperative, which is entirely appropriate and relevant. Innuendo about the girl's sexuallity, as vague as it is, is really just intended as a character assassination, not as a defense of his client.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When do people think we will hear if Treon will be charged? The UPD said they want to talk to him one more time.. I would think that Treon would make himself avail as quickly as possible. I am hoping we hear something by end of day today, but I'm not sure if that would be a distraction to the team or not.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
PastyStoole;n74665 said:
He's not defending his client's actions of that night, he's condemning hers. The only thing he's saying in defense Treon is that he's been very cooperative, which is entirely appropriate and relevant. Innuendo about the girl's sexuallity, as vague as it is, is really just intended as a character assassination, not as a defense of his client.

Again, I disagree. Legal defense by definition posits an alternative theory that shifts blame from the accused. Treon's attorney explained an alternative version of the incident that raised questions about accuser. Let me ask, if you were falsely accused of a felony would you and/or your representative(s) maintain silence or communicate what really happened? Is it OK for the accuser to assassinate the character of the accused by making the accusation but it is not OK for the accused to defend themselves?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I get your point, but she hasn't hired a lawyer to release a statement in order to impugn Harris' character. She may now, though, and this could very well backfire. I presume you'd be in favor of her hiring a lawyer and making negative statements about Harris' character as well, to now defend herself "in the court of public opinion," in which case it would most assuredly get ugly. If this happened to me I'd be pretty careful about what kind of battle I engaged in in the media and I'd avoid statements that were intended to merely smear the girls reputation. Harris and his attorney ought to be careful of what they ask for, as Winston found out, his attorney's efforts to prop up his character by smearing the alleged victim backfired and he's almost universally viewed as a scumbag by everyone outside of Tallahassee. I'd pretty much have my lawyer stick to specifics about my clean legal history, lack of this type of accusation in the past, exemplary deeds as a citizen, etc..

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
PastyStoole;n74665 said:

While I agree that you might want to keep some of this talk close to the vest, he may also be giving UPD something to think about. I fully get that, if arrested, Treon would get his day in court. But, given the circumstances, why not let the world know how absurd such a notion it would be to even entertain the idea of him being wrong, much less charge him and drag this out. It's a little dangerous as you say, but the quick strike may be what gets this resolved. And IF this has been a false accusation, the fact that the girl and her counsel are seeing the facts being put on public display, may be the driving force to her opting to recant.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n74633 said:
Well then maybe Law should be our new head coach:bananadance:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n74711 said:
I get your point, but she hasn't hired a lawyer to release a statement in order to impugn Harris' character. She may now, though, and this could very well backfire. I presume you'd be in favor of her hiring a lawyer and making negative statements about Harris' character as well, to now defend herself "in the court of public opinion," in which case it would most assuredly get ugly. If this happened to me I'd be pretty careful about what kind of battle I engaged in in the media and I'd avoid statements that were intended to merely smear the girls reputation. Harris and his attorney ought to be careful of what they ask for, as Winston found out, his attorney's efforts to prop up his character by smearing the alleged victim backfired and he's almost universally viewed as a scumbag by everyone outside of Tallahassee. I'd pretty much have my lawyer stick to specifics about my clean legal history, lack of this type of accusation in the past, exemplary deeds as a citizen, etc..

That's a very good argument. Unless every word Harris' lawyer said was true and has the evidence to back it up.
Otherwise I agree, you tread lightly in these situations, which makes me think that his lawyer indeed has enough evidence to support Harris. Time will tell.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n74711 said:

To be fair... accusing somebody of sexual battery is impugning their character

Munk

Quitter
Aug 3, 2014
His press release highlights why so many woman do not come forward when sexually assaulted. Rape cases almost always end up with the woman being called a whore. This one is no different. We have nothing until the police report is released.

I do think highlighting Harris as a good student with no criminal history would have served him better than smearing the alleged victim. But hey, that's why UF pays him the big bucks.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Munk;n74827 said:
His press release highlights why so many woman do not come forward when sexually assaulted. Rape cases almost always end up with the woman being called a whore. This one is no different. We have nothing until the police report is released.

I do think highlighting Harris as a good student with no criminal history would have served him better than smearing the alleged victim. But hey, that's why UF pays him the big bucks.
While I get your point, where's the protection for the MEN that could have their entire lives destroyed over someone lying? It's a two-way street. A woman could make up or embellish a story that would end someone's career, or have them labeled a scumbag for life, or even incarcerated, in minutes. It's a terrible situation.

You want an example? Check out the Duke lacrosse rape case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.