Treon's impact on our team

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really like what Treon has given us so far. I think he's got the "it" factor and he's reinvigorated our team - offense and defense. I've seen him lock on to one receiver more than once, but I look for him to keep growing. I'm a fan and excited for the future of the position - looking forward to seeing him and Grier competing again next year.

...having said that, I'll be glad when some of you get all of your venom out ...or more likely, find a new, non-Gator target. Many here dislike him so much they make crap up. Receivers are surprised to get balls thrown to them? That's beyond dumb. When Jeff's passes hit them in the hands and they dropped them, it wasn't Jeff's fault any more than it was the man in the moon's fault. ...and he doesn't know the playbook? Some of you would rather believe an improbably lie than the logical, sensible truth.

Jeff has enough scorn that he's earned - he doesn't need alleged fans of Gator football making him their scapegoat, offloading on to him everything that's wrong with the program (that they don't want to lay solely at Muschamp's feet).

:kick:

...but I know those who feel this way will almost certainly won't change their thinking and never admit that these ludicrous things are just that. So I'll get out of here and let the hattin' rage on. One last thought though. When you're disappointed by something else and JD is out of the picture, make sure you rationalize some way to still make it his fault.

:bananaburn:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Coach9;n101322 said:
Bama was the tipping point for me with JD. I had hopes the new offensive staff would make him the player we all hoped for. The o-line did a solid job in the bama game. But we got absolutely zero out of the QB position.

Champ says JD is a good football player and will be involved in the offense going forward......

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Just watching some of the game again. Treons pass to Fullwood at the 10yd line was absolutely beautiful.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n101338 said:
Just watching some of the game again. Treons pass to Fullwood at the 10yd line was absolutely beautiful.

What channel?

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n101271 said:
Staff needs to keep JD mentally engaged in case TH gets hurt. Had a scary moment early in yesterday's game.
Coach, I'd rather play Morningwood, burn Grier's redshirt, or grab the first able-bodied Gator fan out of the stands than put Driskel back at QB. He is done at UF and I sincerely hope the coaches got the same message yesterday after the Vandy game.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
CapitalGator02;n101358 said:
Coach, I'd rather play Morningwood, burn Grier's redshirt, or grab the first able-bodied Gator fan out of the stands than put Driskel back at QB. He is done at UF and I sincerely hope the coaches got the same message yesterday after the Vandy game.

Come on, champ just said in the presser that Driskel is a good football player and will havea role in the offense going forward..

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n101366 said:
Come on, champ just said in the presser that Driskel is a good football player and will havea role in the offense going forward..
WM said the same thing about UGA and Driskel didn't sniff the field. JD will not have the same role moving forward that he had against Vandy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
CapitalGator02;n101367 said:
WM said the same thing about UGA and Driskel didn't sniff the field. JD will not have the same role moving forward that he had against Vandy.

I wouldn't be totally shocked I'd Driskel was named the starter next week

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
gatormandan;n101333 said:
Champ says JD is a good football player and will be involved in the offense going forward......

I think it's solely wildcat barring injury to Harris. Inside QB power is tough schematically for a defense. That will be his role. Just keep stressing ball security to him.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
t-gator;n101371 said:
I wouldn't be totally shocked I'd Driskel was named the starter next week

I dont think he starts but increased play wont surprise me one bit.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;101379 said:
I think it's solely wildcat barring injury to Harris. Inside QB power is tough schematically for a defense. That will be his role. Just keep stressing ball security to him.

Agree

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Harris is not hurting the team the way Driskel did. That said JD had a great comeback win against LSU stolen from his by a dropped pass. And the Gators run the ball better with Treon than with JD. He has something intangible that JD doesn't. Now the team has a winning gameplan with running the ball and good defense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why not just run Taylor or Jones in the wilcat? There's no advantage to it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Coach9;n101379 said:

I think it might be ok if they used him creatively and not the same predictable wildcat every time where the entire country knows exactly what he is going to do.....

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
If we had to rely on Treon to run a pass first offense, and anything running the full Roper scheme, we'd probably be in trouble. He does tend to lock in on the receiver and probably just does not know the playbook. However, he can be very effective in our current setup where we have a strong running game and occasionally chuck it down the field to loosen up the D - he has good accuracy, throws a nice long ball, and generally doesn't throw dumb passes. All things Driskel has been unable to consistently do.

Why keep Driskel in the game at all?

1. He does bring a different dimension, if used in a wildcat formation. One more thing opposing coaches have to prepare for
2. He is still the backup.
3. He does have some abilities. He just doesn't seem to be able to muster them up on game days. If he can positively contribute, then maybe his confidence gets better and at least he can be a contributor, somewhat like Tebow was during his rookie year when Leak started.

I'd be very careful with Driskel though and wouldn't overdo it. He does seem to have the ability to screw everything up in one single play. Maybe once the pressure is off and he is comfortable as a backup contributor he can loosen up a bit and be an effective contributor - but not as a starter.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
With the amount of Driskel turnovers looming, I would be very cautious to use him at all unless totally necessary. I honestly believe Morningweg may be the better option...sadly...

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n101305 said:
If Treon hadn't of been suspended for a week, I think we'd be a one loss team right now. But even with the suspension, I think we beat Mizzou if he was outright starter for that game.

Not only does Treon make more plays than Driskel, but the team simply responds when Harris is in. They didn't play their best game last night, but they at least played with confidence in themselves and in their QB.

I have said the same thing numerous times. He has a positive effect on the entire team...they all play harder knowing Treon gives them a chance and is not a turnover looking for a place to happen. I still think we are lacking a medium range passing game...we did hit a couple last night...but the deep ball is even more dangerous when they have to defend the 10 yard pass plays. I feel bad for anyone in a competitive sport that experiences a meltdown. Like a golfer who can no longer make a 2 foot putt (the yips), Jeff needs to cheer, chart plays, and otherwise excuse himself from actual game action.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n100934 said:
Embarassing. 300 yards used to be a very mediocre game around here and 200s was a disaster.

Hell the backup used to come in halfway through the third and throw for 300.

Just saying, but Tebow only had five 300-yard starts in his career here, and only two of them came after the 2007 season. One of them was the Ole Miss loss, the other was the Cincy Sugar Bowl.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know. We haven't managed to complete the forward pass since Zooker and his passes were barely forward.

Seems like we should at least be able to be in the top half of passing offenses. I'm know I'm dreaming big here. I'm pretty sure there is no rule that only Ugly and Arky (under Petrino) are allowed to pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.