Truth Takes: 2/3 Season Grades 2019

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
IDGAF if the line is Brown, Warren, Culpepper, and Youngblood if the QB can get the ball out in less than 2 seconds it doesn't matter who is on that line.
Agree on the short passing, but that becomes much less a factor if we have a line that consistently stops the run. Unfortunately, they gutted us right up the middle almost every time they handed off, making the short passing much much more effective. If we were stopping the run consistently like we have in years past (and like aub was able to do pretty well) LSU would have been very pedestrian and we likely win. Consider how bad aubs offense is, i mean its absolutely dreadful, and yet they lost by 3 and held LSU to 23 at home. IMO this occured largely because aub stopped their run game and made burrow throw on 3rd and longer than 5 yds. He is a different qb without a great run game going for him. Now consider if we did the same to their run game, and had our same offense. We win comfortably. That's my point. Our interior line is weak and that is what cost us the game, despite leaving probably 14 points on the field offensively. Just my take, for what little it's worth.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You think our DTs have also been affected by Zuniga/Greenard playing hurt and missing time? Seems like teams could focus more on the interior because our DEs could be handled one on one.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I guess I just thought that most of the long runs have been off tackle. Don’t recall many between the guards. I know the USC runs were draws where they pushed our DE way wide and crashed everyone else right. Huge holes between the LT and LG.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
AU:

LSU:

USC:

I can’t rewatch right now but I will at some point.

Gawd some of that was painful. Nix is just bad. Barn didn't try to run much.
Lsu did everything well. Burrow beat us with his feet too. RB's were patient and waited for holes - our LBs were no help.
USC took a page from LSU but weren't as successful, but successful none the less. Maybe they haven't learned to hold as well as LSU. Fiester had long gains on delayed draws three times.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Sorry Law, after this whole Trask thing.... I just can't really take a single opinion of yours seriously. Glad you at least still give an opinion.

Sorry hatch, but assuming that is your mutt, I saw your profile pic and thought: “he should kick that f’in dawg this week, regardless of what shirt he puts on it.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I just thought that most of the long runs have been off tackle. Don’t recall many between the guards. I know the USC runs were draws where they pushed our DE way wide and crashed everyone else right. Huge holes between the LT and LG.
That's kind of multifaceted. First is positioning. Grantham splits our DEs very wide in order to get advantages in the pass rushing.

Second is lack of DTs. Real DTs usually require two blockers. You will see that when 56 is on the field. Basically no other time. Free guards mean all kinds of bad things in the running game. Most backers aren't going to beat a guard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.