Truth Takes: 2019 Backfield

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I apologize for only sporadic appearances the last few months. Whether its been work, vacation, or watching Orlando City continue to disappoint overall its left me away from this great place. Well, SEC Media Days begin tomorrow with UF, which means football season is here. I've decided to do some takes on the 2019 position groups and this will start with the offensive backfield.

I think this position group has the potential to be the best backfield in 10 years. Yes, part of that is the return of what may end up being the most productive QB since Tebow (admittedly, this bar is low), and part of it is a loaded stable of running backs.

Quarterbacks

Review:

Feleipe Franks is the settled starter at QB. Love him, hate him, frequently frustrated by him, there is no denying that he showed tremendous growth in year one under Dan Mullen. He took less sacks last season compared to 2017, part of that was the o-line, but a big part of that was throwing the ball away. We also saw plenty of great intermediate throws, an aspect that had been missing from Florida for years.

The turning point in Franks' 2018 season, in my opinion, was being benched against Mizzou and then falling behind to South Carolina badly the next week at home. Although he had done some good things and some bad things up until that point, that's when the game seemed to change for him. At that point, we began to see more of Franks the willing runner. When a QB becomes a willing runner, it forces opposing defenses to account for the QB running and has an impact on coverages (such as a LB being a QB spy instead of dropping into a zone) and helps the running game because defenses cannot sell out on the running back each time an option play is run and gives the running backs just that much more room to work. Anyways, after one of the more bizarre UF third down conversions in recent history, Franks lead Florida back from a 31-14 deficit that day. That if it were a better opponent, many people would be calling it one of the to 10-15 games Florida has played in the Swamp.

From there, he played minimally, yet dominantly against Idaho, had some great plays against FSU, including recognizing a busted coverage and pass to Van Jefferson who had broken off his original route for a TD. In contrast to the Kentucky game where he purposely ignored Malik Davis wide open in the endzone because "it wasn't the read". He then had some great throws and decision making against Michigan including several big runs, even if one ended just short of a first down. Finishing the season with Over 30 TD's accounted for with only 6 INT's (and a bad fumble in Jax) was vastly greater than his 2017 campaign.

2019:

Franks will benefit from being in year 2 of Dan Mullen's system, Brian Johnson's coaching, and the talent he has around him. In year 2, it is less of learning the playbook and more of learning the nuances. Not that more has not and will not be added, but the learning curve is much smaller. As some would say, he will be doing less thinking and more reacting. I think we will see Mullen trust more in those around him as well (i.e. Toney) to help take pressure off of him.

The biggest area Franks needs to improve on his deep ball accuracy. He has shown some great throws (two against FSU, Heave to Cleve), but then there's plenty more where a good throw, not even an excellent or perfect one would have changed games. The biggest example? And if you haven't guessed, take a lap. The flea flicker to begin the game in Jax. If he hits Jefferson its a TD, Scarlett doesn't fumble and momentum goes nuts. It could have set a tone a la Spike in '08 or we could have still lost by 19, we may never know. I do think that changed everything from the crowd to how Georgia decided to play defense. Then the next week he missed multiple guys deep and got booed for his poor play.

I think he improves, but how much will impact the season. Two of his best receivers were new last year and it took some time to get on the same page as evidenced by Grimes and Jefferson seeming to have their better games on the back half of the season.

The depth behind Franks is unproven, but I'd probably still take both QB's in year 2 of Dan Mullen over most QB's we've had since Tebow (in the context of which they played; i.e. Champ, Mac, Nuss, etc.). I'm also convinced we may see Emory in at least 6 games this season one way or another.

Bold Predictions:

If the line meets the overall average performance of last year's line (to be discussed later), Franks will throw for at least 3,000 yards and run for 500+. In perspective, Franks threw for 2,457 and ran for 350 according to ESPN.com. So maybe that isn't too bold. So bolder, if Franks accounts for 4,000 yards, we should not only be in Atlanta, but competitive in Atlanta.

Running Backs

Review:

Florida ran for 2,700 yards last year mostly behind leading rusher Lamical Perine (826) and Jordan Scarlett (776). Both backs did well after initial contact and both showed the ability to break the home run. Perine ended the season with a 50+ TD run in each of the last two games, including a 53 yard sprint on a 3rd and 20 give up play against Michigan to put the game away. Perine was a favorite to run the speed option with and successfully ran it against LSU among others. Malik Davis was in the background the first two and a half games before being lost for the season with a broken foot. Davis' loss was newcomer Dameon Pierce's gain. Pierce showed off in his limited carries with several long TD runs of his own, including one on Rocky Top.

2019:

Scarlett, his power, and his 776 yards are gone. He is replaced by greater roles by lightning backs Davis and Pierce. In the late 2000's Clemson had Thunder and Lightning, Spiller and Davis. The thing about Perine and Pierce is they are thunder and lightning in one person each. Who can forget Perine dragging All-SEC and future first round pick Jamal Adams in Baton Rouge? Pierce was known in the 2018 pre-season as a freak in the weight room. Then he showed off his speed. That freakish power just had its second off-season with Strength Coach extraordinaire, Nick Savage.

Again, if the line can be at least average, these guys should improve the 2,771 yards rushing from last year. If we see more outside runs (please to the long side of the field) to get these guys into space, look out. I would love to see Pierce take the speed option out wide.

I would not be shocked to see Toney in the wildcat and have at least one of these guys in the backfield with him. If Davis can stay healthy, this could be a trio that keeps each other fresh for home run threats throughout all four quarters.

Bold Predictions:

Florida again does not have a 1,000 rusher due to running back by committee. However, the rushing total will surpass 3,000 yards on the season. With Franks willing to run more, defenses will have to play the options more honestly than they did for much of last season and this will open up some yards. Franks will be at least marginally better with the down the field passing game. This will keep safeties further back when lined up in formation. Even one extra yard can end up being an extra 3-4 yards on the ground. The running backs will also be helped on the perimeter with receivers and tight ends having an extra year of Savage to hold the blocks for a little longer. Plus, imagine running off of a Trips formation with the Trips being guys the size of Krull, Pitts, and Gamble. Not saying we are going to see it, but those three are pretty fleet of foot and are big dudes who will either learn to block or not see the field.

As stated above, this backfield not only has the potential to be dangerous, but has shown previously that they can be. The question is, can the O-line give Franks, Perine, Davis, and Pierce room to work?

Agree, disagree, thoughts, or any bold predictions of your own for these guys? I know its a positive outlook, but I'll go into this season feeling positive and wait for the team to show me otherwise.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As usual, fantastic write up Truth. No doubt Franks was a better QB in his first year under Mullen, I firmly believe he will be better this year, how much will depend on the Oline, if they are solid, he shouldn't lock on to his primary and go through his reads quicker, easier, and make the right decision. He'll have the tools around him with great backs and receivers.

Would like to see big leads and getting EJ and the youngsters playing time in mop up duty. Year 2 in the system numbers should go up across the board

Go Gators

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
As usual, fantastic write up Truth. No doubt Franks was a better QB in his first year under Mullen, I firmly believe he will be better this year, how much will depend on the Oline, if they are solid, he shouldn't lock on to his primary and go through his reads quicker, easier, and make the right decision. He'll have the tools around him with great backs and receivers.

Would like to see big leads and getting EJ and the youngsters playing time in mop up duty. Year 2 in the system numbers should go up across the board

Go Gators

100%. I'll definitely write up about the O-line. I'm still trying to figure out pulling screen caps and gifs from Youtube vids for examples. I don't think we have had this much talent in all of the skill positions since '09. I do think the running backs are more complete than '09. Definitely not Demps/Rainey speed, but better at blocking and more powerful with the ability to take it to the house as well. Toney should probably be taken into account as well since he will probably take some runs.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
OCSC goin to the playoffs baby!!!!

Well, maybe. That squad has mastered the art of the late summer collapse so let’s hope they turn the corner.

Last year, Franks and the oline were the big questions. At least we seem to have eliminated one and hopefully Hev can take care of the other.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Bold prediction: Not sure who but we will have a 1000 yard rusher. Wouldn’t surprise me if Pierce turns into the #2 either.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
So much is up in the air this year, I just don't know what to expect. The only thing I'm confident about is that Franks will be Franks. Its very rare for a QB that's underperformed for 3 years to miraculously turn into a good QB in yr 4. I hope EJ has been working hard. He's going to get his chance at some point this year.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Sure they do. They all count. He's a 4th year Junior who has woefully underperformed. Just because he finally approached average in the last couple of games last year after all was lost (his performance against Mizzu still speaks volumes to me) doesn't mean he'll suddenly have ice in his veins and lead us to victory against Auburn, LSU and Georgia this year. Sure hope the OL gels quickly. We're going to need them.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we see a solid and improving OL. I would be pleased if we increased our passing yards (500+) and our rushing totals (300+). It may happen, but I won't be counting on it. If the OL and Mullen's play-calling can continue to build FF's confidence, perhaps we'll see it. On offense, that's the obvious linchpin (or lynch pin) for it all.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Sure they do. They all count. He's a 4th year Junior who has woefully underperformed. Just because he finally approached average in the last couple of games last year after all was lost (his performance against Mizzu still speaks volumes to me) doesn't mean he'll suddenly have ice in his veins and lead us to victory against Auburn, LSU and Georgia this year. Sure hope the OL gels quickly. We're going to need them.
Can’t give you a dislike even though I really wanted to. While you are a lot more pessimistic than I, a lot of facts are on your side. FF was very solid over the last three and a half games, but wildly inconsistent before that. There were some good moments which were countered with some bad. And a good argument can be made about the level of competition in the last four games. At this point his future performance is anyone’s guess. I don’t think I can say your wrong anymore than I can say it about those who think he has totally turned it around. Personally, I’m optimistic; but not wildly so.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bold Predictions:

Florida again does not have a 1,000 rusher due to running back by committee. However, the rushing total will surpass 3,000 yards on the season. With Franks willing to run more, defenses will have to play the options more honestly than they did for much of last season and this will open up some yards
---------------------

I don't see this happening with the new Tackles as Delance isn't a mauler that clears out LBs at the next level like Taylor was and Forsythe isn't a great space clearer despite his size and is a slight downgrade from Ivey when it comes to that.

I think the RBs will have less yards per carry this season. Franks will have more rushing yards but nothing like past Mullen QBs.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So much is up in the air this year, I just don't know what to expect. The only thing I'm confident about is that Franks will be Franks. Its very rare for a QB that's underperformed for 3 years to miraculously turn into a good QB in yr 4. I hope EJ has been working hard. He's going to get his chance at some point this year.

I think he improves but not some big leap like some are saying. One thing was consistent with Franks last season and that is he feasted on the 2 joke FCS teams and played very pedestrian against the better teams on the schedule. If you just looked at his numbers against the 7 teams with a winning record we played his play was very pedestrian with hardly any TD passes.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
OCSC goin to the playoffs baby!!!!

Have to beat a full strength above the line team for the first time since May 2017 to get my faith going on this.

Bold prediction: Not sure who but we will have a 1000 yard rusher. Wouldn’t surprise me if Pierce turns into the #2 either.

See, I think the committee holds it back as it will be legitimately 3-4 (Franks will probably carry more this year) people sharing the load. I'd like to see it though. Pierce may, but I think a lot of people forgot how good Davis was in 2017. If he can put injuries behind him look out.

I cant respect the opinion of anyone who watches Mexican hockey.

I expected a comment like this from you. I would almost call it football to mess with you, but I'd hate myself for doing it.

Skipping to this comment. I'd say he also had other pretty good games, but yes Mizzou does stick out. I do think this OL vs. last year's OL is too much of a panic mode for people. Go back and watch the games, especially re-watch Kentucky, you'll see a line that was inconsistent and with their play went Franks play (though games like Mizzou he did on his own too). Also, remember Taylor got benched for Forsythe against USCe. He came back, but it did happen as the game began to change.

And a good argument can be made about the level of competition in the last four games.

I'm optimistic, but some people on the Twitter machine got mad when I pointed that out. Though I will say, his biggest struggle being the deep ball is what hurt him in UGA, Mizzou in some bigger team games and offensive line/drops in others and even all of the above. Definitely needs to improve, but as I harped on before and will say again for optimism. It is a fact that Franks never had a QB coach or Offensive Coordinator in his life before January 2018 (or December 2017, whatever). Not in high school, and I sure am not about to give MacNuss that distinction. It's amazing what proper coaching can do, and with a second year where you go from thinking to reacting it can have an upside.

I don't see this happening with the new Tackles as Delance isn't a mauler that clears out LBs at the next level like Taylor was and Forsythe isn't a great space clearer despite his size and is a slight downgrade from Ivey when it comes to that.

I think the RBs will have less yards per carry this season. Franks will have more rushing yards but nothing like past Mullen QBs.

I'll wait and see on this line, I also remember seeing Taylor get benched for Forsythe as stated above. Also, I'm curious how these guys are with year 2 of Savage and Hevesy. I'm not exactly sure where we get the Delance eval. I'm not picking a fight, just curious on if it is based on a mediocre Texas team he played for that looked so-so that Herman has improved like Mullen has done at UF.

I think he improves but not some big leap like some are saying. One thing was consistent with Franks last season and that is he feasted on the 2 joke FCS teams and played very pedestrian against the better teams on the schedule. If you just looked at his numbers against the 7 teams with a winning record we played his play was very pedestrian with hardly any TD passes.

As I replied to Gator by Marriage above, I think there is some truth to this and did get some heat on Twitter for saying things like how Michigan had some players missing (including a DB injured during the game). However, I don't know about a big leap, but I think he did make strides last year. Sure, his TD's passing weren't there, but when you have Scarlett and Perine scoring TD's, it does limit your TD passes. Also, Mullen trying to use Franks as a ram inside the 5. Now, yes he can improve in this area, but I think it's much more than just TD passes. Does he hit big throws to set up some runs and does he hit the deep ball to back up the safeties are the two big questions I have for him. I think if he can do those things the receivers can YAC some TD's for him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Player or two missing or not, Butterteeth loses that game to Meatchikn by 21-28 points.

Im not sold on Mullinz long term, but he is clearly better than Butters.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Player or two missing or not, Butterteeth loses that game to Meatchikn by 21-28 points.

Im not sold on Mullinz long term, but he is clearly better than Butters.

100%. The talent on both sides was roughly the same as Dallas with some exceptions, including their upgrade at QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hesitations will be gone as this is the 2nd year with Mullen's playbook = all the difference in the world.
More energy of camaraderie for building momentum.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'll wait and see on this line, I also remember seeing Taylor get benched for Forsythe as stated above. Also, I'm curious how these guys are with year 2 of Savage and Hevesy. I'm not exactly sure where we get the Delance eval. I'm not picking a fight, just curious on if it is based on a mediocre Texas team he played for that looked so-so that Herman has improved like Mullen has done at UF.

My thoughts on the running game taking a slight step back are based on Forsythe and Delance in the spring game going against the 2nd stringers. Delance was pretty sound fundamentally but was not the run blocker Taylor was. Forsythe while better was still showing some bad traits he showed when he played in that FSU game in 2017. Despite his size he seems to disengage a lot when holding his block a little longer or driving the defender down the field would have gave the RB a better chance to break through.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My thoughts on the running game taking a slight step back are based on Forsythe and Delance in the spring game going against the 2nd stringers. Delance was pretty sound fundamentally but was not the run blocker Taylor was. Forsythe while better was still showing some bad traits he showed when he played in that FSU game in 2017. Despite his size he seems to disengage a lot when holding his block a little longer or driving the defender down the field would have gave the RB a better chance to break through.

If the OL holds up, this offense will be very good. If they sh*t the bed.....we're in trouble. I have high hopes for Delance - he's the 2nd highest rated OL on the team (coming out of HS). Gouraige needs to develop also, hopefully he's ready to contribute. Fortunately we have two of the cupcakes in September. These guys need to get a ton of reps in those games.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If the OL holds up, this offense will be very good. If they sh*t the bed.....we're in trouble. I have high hopes for Delance - he's the 2nd highest rated OL on the team (coming out of HS). Gouraige needs to develop also, hopefully he's ready to contribute. Fortunately we have two of the cupcakes in September. These guys need to get a ton of reps in those games.

Yep Gouraige got abused in the spring game but he maybe was stuck going against Zuniga a lot. Delance looked decent but he didn't have to deal with the 2 best pass rushers we have that I remember.

I saw Zach Carter, Campbell and Umstead Sanders make Forsythe look bad on some plays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator