Truth Takes: 2019 O-Line and WR/TE

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mystery season oncoming?
We'll have the major impact of "the HC-CEO Mullen" transference of momentum that a 2-year inculcation will bring. Yes, hard to gauge, but IMO I think that it will crank the boys up. TE play will take a huge jump. FF will excel by controlling his overthrows, but mostly by nourishing his idea that he's a dominant runner. Too much for defenses to handle. Then, there is the "herd" of runners = M.Davis, Perrine, D.Pierce, (Tony), ? who else? Where does Copeland fit in all this? When will he show up?
DL and OL will carry themselves better recognizing each's own newfound brute strength.
Go Gators.

Mullen can be a long-term hero for UF, if he can correct this lackluster recruiting. He's got a magnetic attitude, contagious to the boys.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good write-up. My biggest worry on the OL is that they haven't played together as an unit and therefore there could be communication issues.

Miami has a good front 7, but I expect Dan to scheme to help the OL. The positive is they will learn a lot during that game and it will help prepare them for SEC play. I don't think it will cost us the game unless Miami gets pressure on Franks and causes TOs (INTs or Fumbles) and I don't expect that at all.

I have no worries with the WRs. The only possible problem is not enough opportunities, because there is so much talent and only one ball. I think Swain is getting over-looked as he is the most technical of all of them with Jefferson possibly being the exception.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our OL will be warned how good UM's DL is. They will watch film and pick up UM's tricks and tendencies. Meanwhile, UM has got to fret over our skilled offense. Mullen should be able to scheme around their O and around their D. Perform sharp Gators, make our athletes look tops and our HC a great one to play for. Y'all got center stage TV.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Sorry for the delays in the replies.

One question and I don't know if Truth touched on this will be how well the backs help out the oline on passing downs.....Does Mullen dare to spread out and go empty on 3rd and long? Guess it will depend on if the D mans up or shows zone. Franks did alright toward the end of the year when going against man by beating the D with his legs but most of those 3rd downs seemed to be 3rd and less than 6....

I think Mullen may spread out in the quads like he did in Atlanta with a RB out wide. Franks had to big keepers on a 3rd and 4 and 3rd and 7. The 3rd and 4 he took 20 yards for a TD. I do think what the defense is showing will help here. On a side note, I hope to see more QB sneaks on short yardage plays.

As far as backs blocking, Perine will be fine, but I don't remember much about Davis and haven't seen much Pierce in the position of pass blocking. However, I wouldn't be shocked to see some jail break screens to slow down the rush. That is one way the running backs can help the line.

Based on spring, the staff seems to be pushing Tarquin at RT. But he needs to gain the necessary strength to be able to compete. Gouraige is another guy they are looking at but he was a huge disappointment this spring.

Hopefully summer workouts have helped in this area...hopefullly.

Where does Copeland fit in all this? When will he show up?

This is truly the big question of the receivers. If he plays as hyped, this great group just got better. I leave him off when talking because we are so deep currently that it's tough for me to determine how much he sees the field. But could you imagine him and Toney on the field together if he does play as hyped?

My biggest worry on the OL is that they haven't played together as an unit and therefore there could be communication issues.

Miami has a good front 7, but I expect Dan to scheme to help the OL. The positive is they will learn a lot during that game and it will help prepare them for SEC play. I don't think it will cost us the game unless Miami gets pressure on Franks and causes TOs (INTs or Fumbles) and I don't expect that at all.

I have no worries with the WRs. The only possible problem is not enough opportunities, because there is so much talent and only one ball. I think Swain is getting over-looked as he is the most technical of all of them with Jefferson possibly being the exception.

I think the communication issue might be the biggest with the OL when I think about it. I think Miami has a good front seven, but I can't say they were tested much last year (I'll save more for discussing Miami). Swain may be the most technical, but Hammond has the best hands. Saw someone post a drop rate percentage and Hammond lead the SEC with a 0%.

Our OL will be warned how good UM's DL is. They will watch film and pick up UM's tricks and tendencies. Meanwhile, UM has got to fret over our skilled offense. Mullen should be able to scheme around their O and around their D. Perform sharp Gators, make our athletes look tops and our HC a great one to play for. Y'all got center stage TV.

I think we will see things against Miami that we haven't seen before. I do think we may also #failstate this and start with plenty of screens. But like we did years ago against UGA, if our guys can block (like putting Pitts, Krull and co. out there), Toney, Grimes and Swain have the speed to cause perimeter issues. Once the defense cheats to stop it, you hit the exposed middle with either a QB draw or one of the inside powers with a pulling guard.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Taylor was a decent run blocker, pretty sad against an SEC pass rusher with any speed. I don't really ever want to say the name Martez Ivey. In a way, I doubt his effort and heart. But perhaps he was just playing out of position. He was functional at guard. Probably, if our roster were right, both Taylor and Ivey would have been at guard.

It isn't really much of a drop off at OT.
Agreed. The OL doesn't have to be great to play as well or better than last year's OL. We look at the improvement last year and tend to forget how bad the line was for nearly a decade. After the misery that proceeded it, last year's OL, due to actually getting some coaching, looked like pure gold in comparison. IMO, if we avoid injuries, we should be okay for the first few games - due largely to the level of competition. The big boy phase begins with UT and really shifts into gear with AUB. If the OL is ready for the challenge of that SEC run, we could have a very strong shot at a top 5 finish.

Of course, I am aware that UM and UK can beat us, especially if they get a lot of pressure on FF. But scum has major question marks in a number of areas - most notably: QB, secondary, new HC and OC/system. And UK will play well against us, as usual, especially at home. And although the coaching is the best they've had in forever, they don't have the horses to beat a UF team that comes in and takes care of business. We need all the help we can get in recruiting, and if a another surprisingly good season on the field actually helps to boost our fortunes on the trail, all the better.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
The closer we get to 8/24 the more I think the UM game is gonna look similar to the MSU game in where Mullen has to outscheme the other team to pull out a win...and at this point it’s all we can ask for

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
If the OL plays to their level of experience, there will be wailing and knashing of teeth. I don't want to see it, but the melt down here will be a show.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
If the OL plays to their level of experience, there will be wailing and knashing of teeth. I don't want to see it, but the melt down here will be a show.
And if they play to the level of their talent and coaching and avoid too many injuries, there won't be any need for rending of garments or pulling of hair either,

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The closer we get to 8/24 the more I think the UM game is gonna look similar to the MSU game in where Mullen has to outscheme the other team to pull out a win...and at this point it’s all we can ask for

Respectfully disagree on this one. This scum team is a little hard to measure due to the many changes and readily apparent holes that remain to be filled in their roster. But there are some certainties that bode well for UF: A serious edge in demonstrated coaching ability and an offense THAT IS NOT IN IT'S FIRST YEAR. The offense we will see against the cocaines is not the same one that went into Starkburg last year - it's a year older and is very likely to be noticeably better. I also believe we will severely limit UM's offense and should score 30+ - and possibly quite a bit more with some help from the defense. If we do struggle the entire game on offense, that could be a problem - I just don't see it happening. DM needs to not only win this game, but look good doing it. Showing out big-time as the only game of week 0 would dispel any lingering clouds from the off season and perhaps set the stage for bigger things to come.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The wont play to the level of Butterteeth, of that I am 100% positive.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The wont play to the level of Butterteeth, of that I am 100% positive.
I'm not sure any of our offensive linemen were allowed in the weight room or training table from 2011-2017...

I'm pretty sure our offensive line this year will be shaky in pass protection at times and people will lose their sh!t when our tackles get beat by a speed rusher here and there....it's gonna happen. That said we have a 3rd year starter QB who should know(hopefully) to get the hell out of Dodge and either buy some time or haul ass toward the sticks.

One thing and probably the big difference between the 2017 and 2018 offensive lines was conditioning. It certainly at least in my opinion was not talent because all of them looked horrible at times..... It's one thing to be big and a whole other thing to be big and conditioned.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Possibly. We scored our only TD that game on a trick play throw by a non-QB. The defense really played well once MSU got onto our side of the field.

I think its more likely we score some this game by our defense getting turnovers etc and really messing with Miami's offense. I think Miami's defense may be better than some people think however.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Ppl are taking Miami too lightly on D they got destroyed by LSU and UW with a big experienced line...that we currently don’t have

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Ppl are taking Miami too lightly on D they got destroyed by LSU and UW with a big experienced line...that we currently don’t have
I can understand your concerns and you could be right about some OL struggles and just "general rust." But if scum can't score, scum can't win, and I just don't see it. Their offense will struggle at least as much as ours will - and because of their shakiness at QB I think they'll be hard-pressed to exceed 13-17 points. We will find a way to score, particularly if FF plays well and DM does what he does best - find mismatches and exploit them. You apparently have a higher opinion of their coaching staff and overall talent that I do. C'est la vie.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I think their offense and coaching staff is underwhelming to say the least but I do have reservations about an experienced Dline against our Oline...and the fact is the second level blocking won’t matter if there’s too much pressure in the backfield...I think we win but it’s not gonna be a cakewalk...that’s all I’m saying

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think their offense and coaching staff is underwhelming to say the least but I do have reservations about an experienced Dline against our Oline...and the fact is the second level blocking won’t matter if there’s too much pressure in the backfield...I think we win but it’s not gonna be a cakewalk...that’s all I’m saying
First game of the year so I expect it to be ugly for both teams...we'll probably grunt out a 27-16 win or something like that....If Franks stays upright long enough we'll hit at least a couple of game changing pass plays or at least flip the field enough to keep them out of our endzone more than twice.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I can see that. I just don't think we're going to suck that badly on the OL or that they're equipped to deal with playing catch-up if we do score early. I also expect to take some sacks and we'll definitely have to generate a solid run game to win "big." But I expect that we'll be the better team that day and that DM won't be looking to "burn clock" or win "TOP." He's going to try to murder these bums if at all possible - and frankly, that's exactly what I expect him to do..

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First game of the year so I expect it to be ugly for both teams...we'll probably grunt out a 27-16 win or something like that....If Franks stays upright long enough we'll hit at least a couple of game changing pass plays or at least flip the field enough to keep them out of our endzone more than twice.

I think a switch flipped for Franks last year. I don't know if it was the boos pissing him off, or just the experience finally coming together, but he seems like he's seeing the field better and actually reading what the defense is doing better. I think he just may use that experience to keep their D on their heels. A smart, experienced, talented QB can expose an over aggressive defense. Especially if they have weaknesses in the secondary. We'll see I guess. I'm just not finding myself too concerned about this game. The Oline is the biggest question mark. If they can allow Franks to do his job, it could get ugly for Miami. I think he's going to take another big step forward this year that many aren't expecting. The kid never had any real coaching. Now he does, and I think it's going to show. I hope so anyway...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The closer we get to 8/24 the more I think the UM game is gonna look similar to the MSU game in where Mullen has to out scheme the other team to pull out a win...and at this point it’s all we can ask for

I disagree... I think it is more likely the game is tough until Miami gets worn down. I think that probably happens mid-third quarter than UF blows them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.