Truth Takes: 2019 O-Line and WR/TE

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
If you can't say anything good about an offensive line, don't say anything at all. Shhhhh!
giphy.gif

Zip it good.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I find it difficult to believe that such an inexperienced O line can perform up to the expectations of most posters on this board. It was my way of saying: "I hope you guys are right, but I fear the worst."
:panic:

Last year was the worst OL we will have under this regime.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I find it difficult to believe that such an inexperienced O line can perform up to the expectations of most posters on this board. It was my way of saying: "I hope you guys are right, but I fear the worst."

Define expectations. There is little doubt they will be better than last year simply due to the talent increase at LT, LG, and RG. In my opinion, Heggie and Bleich are massive upgrades to Jordan and Johnson. Forsythe will be better in pass protection thanks to his reach. Will they be dominant? No. I think they will be average to above average. Last year’s o-line was bad and had to be helped with conservative playcalling. Mullen will be able to open up the playbook a bit more with this starting 5. Now, an injury at either tackle spot could shatter what I wrote.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Lack of depth is part of my low expectations. However, even without injuries I don't expect us to reach last year's level until late in the season, if ever. The really sad thing is that 2020's O line may be very good but we won't have a proven QB in 2020 and will lose other skill players. This, together with our fan base's high expectations could cause us to lose a good coach who, given time, could get us there.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Define expectations. There is little doubt they will be better than last year simply due to the talent increase at LT, LG, and RG. In my opinion, Heggie and Bleich are massive upgrades to Jordan and Johnson. Forsythe will be better in pass protection thanks to his reach. Will they be dominant? No. I think they will be average to above average. Last year’s o-line was bad and had to be helped with conservative playcalling. Mullen will be able to open up the playbook a bit more with this starting 5. Now, an injury at either tackle spot could shatter what I wrote.
How much more reach does Forsythe really have? I'm not sure that Ivey was great, but I'm not sold on Forsythe either. RG fingers crossed heggie plays. We lost a first rounder at RT and no one is excited about his replacement.

I think we will be ok, just going in with a fingers crossed approach.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

See, I thought this comment was about someone else and not about your own expectations lol. I understand the hesitation, but like I’ve said, it’s not about how good this year will be, but how inconsistent and at times poor the online last year was. That’s also why I put other advantages of this year vs last like system knowledge and additional strength coaching.

***and because I can’t multi-quote on the app (or don’t know how), Oscar said first rounder. I’d argue he was selected round two and more for potential. He did fine, but had plenty of mistakes as well.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I never saw last year's OL perform well.
Never as in not over stretch of games, a game, a quarter or a drive? (Hopefully you saw it at least on a play!) I ask because last night I happened to watch a rebroadcast I had DVR’ed of last year’s LSU game and overall, to my untrained eyes, the line generally played well with FF getting time to throw and the running game putting up 200+ yards. Had FF been more accurate, he would have thrown for well over 200 as well. Was it a perfect performance over the whole game? Not even close, but it was good enough. I will fully concede you may have a higher standard.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lack of depth is part of my low expectations.
Depth does concern me. My caveat. If we are into #7 on the depth chart, we might have trouble. That being said, Hev had a functional OL w Halapio playing as a tr freshman too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
, the line generally played well with FF getting time to throw and the running game putting up 200+ yards. .
Youve been broken down by years of Chimp and Butters trying to achieve the absence of offense.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Lack of depth is part of my low expectations. However, even without injuries I don't expect us to reach last year's level until late in the season, if ever. The really sad thing is that 2020's O line may be very good but we won't have a proven QB in 2020 and will lose other skill players. This, together with our fan base's high expectations could cause us to lose a good coach who, given time, could get us there.

You worry too much. DM will succeed, or he won't, as a result of his real world accomplishments or failures. Also, the new OL is not as raw, poorly coached and conditioned, or as unused to success as the group we started out with last year. The standard that you fear we will not reach until late in the season was achieved last year with players who had more experience in under-achieving than any other area. They sure as hell weren't indicative of what can be done at UF with an actual staff in place to prepare them for the SEC. I honestly think that we'll be pretty solid from the start - not perfect, but solid. By year's end, we could be calling the OL a real team strength.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Never as in not over stretch of games, a game, a quarter or a drive? (Hopefully you saw it at least on a play!) I ask because last night I happened to watch a rebroadcast I had DVR’ed of last year’s LSU game and overall, to my untrained eyes, the line generally played well with FF getting time to throw and the running game putting up 200+ yards. Had FF been more accurate, he would have thrown for well over 200 as well. Was it a perfect performance over the whole game? Not even close, but it was good enough. I will fully concede you may have a higher standard.
He's talking about his old lady. (OL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb