Truth Takes: A Bad Night in the Swamp Kentucky '22

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
There is a lot of overreaction out there this morning. Last night we saw good things, bad things, and things everywhere in between. There are things about the game we know, things we don't, and things that I think might be important details that we may never know.

In a 26-16 loss to Kentucky, that Kentucky team was in many ways who I thought they were. A team that would need us making multiple mistakes in order for us to win. We made those mistakes, and made plenty of them. They did show up to play, and played well, but without our mistakes, I don't think they win.

On offense, Anthony Richardson's stat line was dreadful, 14/35 (40%) for 143 yards and 2 INT's. There's no other way of saying it other than he was bad last night. I'm not selling stock in him as so many in Gator Nation seem to be doing. What I will say is that in the 1st half of the game I saw some limping from AR. Then I saw a video on Twitter of AR coming up limping after being hit in the ankles on the first pass of the game. None of this really is apparent on the broadcast version, which I saw on re-watch. I also see that AR only had 6 carries and I know for sure one came on the first drive and three were not called runs; the fumble he picked up and ran, a scramble for a few yards to the right where he slid in I believe the 3rd quarter, and when he went out of bounds instead of throwing it away (bad decision there) for a several yard loss. I also watching the game back saw very few read option plays. Why do those two things matter? Well, it leads me to believe that AR was playing with a hurt wheel. A bum wheel would limit this offense in that it takes away one threat of AR running/scrambling and could effect passing as it effects his foot work.

Now, does that mean all the offensive woes or the picks were because of that? Not at all. Kentucky got 13 points off of two picks from AR. Besides the obvious, of we lost by 10 due to a late FG and that's more than the margin of loss, it also changed momentum which definitely is a thing. If Kentucky goes into the half down multiple scores instead of a FG, the mindset of the game is different. The first INT, though an ill advised pass by AR was also a great play by the defender that I have to give him credit for. When he realized he couldn't get to AR before the release of the pass, instead of running at AR he broke towards where AR was looking got a hand up and made a nice play for the pick. The second INT, after the re-watch appears to be a miscommunication between Wright and AR. Not sure who that was on as AR threw the hitch and Wright went deep, but point is it was a pick 6. I can't say for sure it should have been thrown even if Wright ran the hitch. This one was definitely an unforced error.

What kills me is we had plenty of open passes for big plays early that we missed, plays we have seen AR hit before and some he hit several times last week. Some people talk about he needs more time to become accurate. Accuracy is not a playing time issue, it isn't. Reading the field, knowing what kind of touch to put on balls, feeling pressure are all things that do develop, accuracy is not that. We've seen him be accurate before and did well against a decent Utah defense last week. He just wasn't this week.

Moving to the running backs, as much as it pains me to say this, but we might need to move Wright down the depth chart. Johnson and Etienne have been vastly better two weeks into the season. I wish Johnson had a little more speed, but it is what it is. The guy finds holes and can get yards while Etienne in space will break at least one long one this year. Etienne was lower this week, but still had over 5 ypc, Johnson had 8.9 ypc and Wright 3 ypc. We are going to see what kind of coach Nape is going forward with how he handles this. I like Wright, but he simply isn't getting the job done.

It really is hard to say how our receivers did have 3 guys average over 10 yards per catch and the other one had a long of 28 yards. Our tight ends were in the same position. Zanders did have a drop early that helped kill a drive and a few times the tight ends didn't get to blocks on time with screens. Seeing that has been a few games in a row now, that might be scheming.

The offensive line started well, but then White and Tarquin both seemed to get injured, though White came back later. Leonard and Barber did alright as back ups, but still showed why they aren't the starters. One thing to take away though is that these game reps can be valuable for the future.

The defense started slow. Will Levis started 9 for 10. Then we cracked down and he went 4/14 the rest of the way. He did, barely, get his second ever SEC 200 yard passing game with 202 yards. We held him to 54% passing. The tight ends caught 5 balls during that beginning span for 74 yards. They had 0 catches after that. That is good enough for a win in the SEC.

The defensive line created havoc all night and kept Levis under pressure, especially once we covered past the first read. The linebackers played well, especially after the adjustments. Outside of Kimber allowing that 55-yard TD pass, our DB's played well. Kimber even played that pass pretty well overall, sometimes the other team just makes plays (and/or the cameras don't see them not make the play).

The defense allowed 70 yards rushing (well 109 when you take away the bad snap on the punt for the safety). That is still 2.9 yards per carry and that is after we allowed a longer run late because we were trying to strip the ball out. This defense did enough to win this game.

The defense allowed 10 points basically. I'm not holding against them the points off the picks or the turnover on downs.

I say that because this defense was much maligned after last week. Some it really was that Utah did what they do and is one of the best offenses we will face this season. I don't think Kentucky's offense is up there, but Kentucky early on tried to exploit us in the same way Utah did, were successful, but then we adjusted and it shut that down. We are playing a ton of young talent including Moore, James, Kimber, Watson, Lee, Princely, Sapp, Helm, Marshall, and Wilson. All these young guys getting time will help them develop and help this defense get back to the Gator Standard for defenses. Seeing these adjustments and their success, tells me that Patrick Toney can be that guy. He will grow as well.

On special teams, I liked seeing us go for a block on punt return, though Hendo is not that guy for returning punts. Mihalek might be good for us at kicker. Everything else could use some work.

All in all, I don't like losing and I like losing to Kentucky even less. Without the picks, I think UF wins this game. Without what I believe to be an injured AR due to the context clues, I believe we win this game. I am not trying to make excuses, but I am trying to tell you things that were seen live, but not on the broadcast that might offer some explanation for how a QB can regress from week 1 to week 2 from a better opponent to a worse one. I've heard he denied being hurt, but I'd never expect him or Nape to admit it both in a "no excuses" way and in a don't let future opponents know your limited kind of way. If this play continues, obviously, a change must be made. However, we've seen better from him and it could've just been a bad night. All I'm saying is it is too early to rush to judgment.

There has been much made about playcalling on offense, but if you get rid of your base play, the read option, it limits what you can do. I still hate seeing a lot of screens/outside runs to the short side of the field and I HATED going for it on 4th down at our own 40 with 8:41 to go when our defense had overall been solid since giving up the first TD, play the field position game.

If things continue this way for a few more games, then questions should be asked. However, I don't think a single game should be how we judge anyone, coaching, players, etc. It's a game we should have one and needed disaster to lose. We provided the disaster. My hope is that this disaster becomes a learning experience for all involved, players and coaches. Now is not the time to abandon ship on anyone as last week was not the time to abandon ship on anyone. Stay the course and I do believe we will be better on the other side of this storm.

Go Gators!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Debbie Downer reality that I’ve been meaning to throw out there, and may as well put it here, is that aside from Raymond, the star hire so far appears to be Toney and his defense. He’s also probably the first guy we’ll lose to a better job, maybe very soon. So the idea of leaning so much on the defense isn’t good, because we will see turnover there inevitably. We need a much more comprehensive offensive ID.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Teams see we have no d-line depth.
All a moderately good team needs to do is keep it close until the fourth quarter and run it down our throats.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
The Debbie Downer reality that I’ve been meaning to throw out there, and may as well put it here, is that aside from Raymond, the star hire so far appears to be Toney and his defense. He’s also probably the first guy we’ll lose to a better job, maybe very soon. So the idea of leaning so much on the defense isn’t good, because we will see turnover there inevitably. We need a much more comprehensive offensive ID.
saturday-night-live-snl.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good recap Truth, but to be honest Years and years of the "IF" game just has gotten tiring. Was AR hurt? Probably, but you can only control what you can control. The TEX-A$$ QB had to leave the game, backup got hurt, limped around and they still almost won. Not a comparison, just a fact. Deal with what you can control, If Plan A gets blown up, what is Plan B? Which team was better? I don;t know b/c there are ifs on both sides. I just know which team was better coached last night. That matters regardless of outcome. Every team is playing young guys every week. If UK has Rodriguez do they run the ball better? Don;t know b/c he wasn't there. Sling Blade did not throw those awful passes, but he did call some awful plays, as you noted the first 4th down attempt,. We can "if' every weekend and for the past 15 or so years it is probably all that has sustained many of the transient fans. But reality is where the coaches and team need to live.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
60 minutes is a long time to defend with a middling offense. Our D is pretty sound if sometimes unspectacular, but needs help from the O with keeping the clock off their back.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Dang is AR already banged up? Guy just ain’t durable, and he’s got to be to run this offense efficiently. He’s got to be able to be a threat with his legs to be successful. I don’t think he needs to throw more than 20 times in a game.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good Take, as usual.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I ask this question last year and I will do so again this year. With a below average receiving corps and this offense much less of QB run centric, why not utilize your RB's as receivers out of the backfield, trying to isolate on a slower defender. Does not do any good to split them wide, then they just become another below average receiver, and less likely to gain a mismatch. It took Cousin Eddie until the Vandy game last year, to hit Pierce, not once, but twice, on the same seam route out of the backfield. Why did he wait until Vandy? B/C it shows he is a genius when it works. It is beyond me why we do not try to find a mismatch out of the backfield using RB's as receivers.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was the game where we needed the backup QB to be available, even if it was just a series or two.

Mgnihilo

Founding Member
South Carolina Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great take, as always, Truth. What you said at the end was spot on. I think many of us (me included) overreacted to last week's win just as we may be overreacting a bit too much to last night's loss. The Gators are definitely a work in progress. They are going to look great at times and like crap at times, probably both in the same game. I like where Coach seems to be taking the team. All I am expecting from this season is progress... is it even possible to get worse than where we have been the last 10 years?

Side note...I can't believe I was one who REALLY wanted Frost.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was the game where we needed the backup QB to be available, even if it was just a series or two.

This take touches on the big question I have from Saturday.
If Jack Miller had been available, do you think Napier would have made a change at some point during the game?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This take touches on the big question I have from Saturday.
If Jack Miller had been available, do you think Napier would have made a change at some point during the game?
I’ve wondered the same thing. There’s no way to know after the fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.