Truth Takes: Ain't No Telephone Bills

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
That was fun. Some good, some bad, but the biggest margin we've beaten Tennessee by since '07 and the lowest they have scored since we beat them 31-0 in 1994. What a way to honor the '94 team, by beat Tennessee by the same margin, with almost the exact score. In case you missed it, the '94 team was celebrated during the game. And yes, the title is a reference to Rocky Top and the player who didn't seem to know how to use a standard phone.

Offense
There are things to like about how the offense looked and some things not to like. Let's start with playcalling. UF was dominant through the air most of the game, but for some reason, Mullen wanted to try and force the run, and not just the run, the run to the right side of the line. The right side of the line has been the biggest disappointment for me so far this year. I thought that Delance would be better then he has been. With that said if he's been inconsistent, and was benched at times last week, why try to force the ball his way early and often? Meanwhile, the left side of the line had plenty of good runs. Some bad, but overall good. Also, let's stop with the predictable QB Keeper on 4th down. Getting to the 10 and beginning to run after we've driven through passing is stupid, see first field goal drive. I want to get the run going better as much as everyone, but if it works, do it until the defense stops it.

Trask
  1. Underthrown ball to Grimes, if thrown on time it's a TD, I'll happily take the 43 yard gain. The problem is, against better secondaries, that ball may be picked.
  2. High throw to Pitts, but in stride for 19 yards and a TD. Good first drive, which also included him keeping the ball on a read option around left end for 8 yards and a first down.
  3. Great throw to Copeland for 21 and a first down off of play action. My brother and I both took notice of Copeland before the play and weren't surprised to see his first touch.
  4. Good 15 yard throw over the middle to Pitts.
  5. Check down to Perine for 7 yards.
  6. Overthrew Swain on a post, but go hit while throwing.
  7. 17 yard strike to Pitts.
  8. 19 yard corner route to Cleveland.
  9. Good throwaway, nothing open on 3rd and goal. The playcall here was suspect. a rollout to the short side of the field (It's natural to go right for a right hander, it just also limits receiver room). Further, there was only one possible receiver on the play.
  10. Good throw to Cleveland for 16 yards.
  11. High throw to Cleveland who makes a nice catch for 8 yards.
  12. Pass over the middle to Hammond for 10 yards.
  13. Good throwaway under pressure.
  14. Great throw to Swain for 24 yards and a first down.
  15. Underneath to Jefferson for 4 yards. Jefferson, in my opinion, needlessly jumps. If he doesn't jump he may score.
  16. Great defensive play by Tennessee to break up a slant throw to Swain.
  17. Screen to Jefferson for 10.
  18. Screen to Swain for 14, good throw by Trask as the CB lined up with Swain is coming on the blitz. Was it a designed screen or smart play by Trask/Swain? Designed, Forsythe and co. are sprinting out to Swain when the ball is snapped if it wasn't designed. (There was debate in the stands). Still a good play, just not the audible on the fly some thought it was.
  19. Great 29 yard post route to Swain in the endzone for the TD.
  20. Pick, corner route to Krull. Possibly thrown just a bit low. If throwing in that coverage to Krull, put it high where either your 6'6" TE gets it or no one does.
  21. TIGHT window on the slant to Jefferson for 6 yards and a first down. Ball just beats the Tennessee defender's arm swinging for it.
  22. Good throwaway under pressure.
  23. Tried to dump to Jefferson under pressure, but falls incomplete.
  24. Pitts man falls down and is hit on the slant for 11 yards.
  25. PICK. This ball leads Grimes perfectly...except there's a safety there. I will say though, Grimes could recognize this, turn his body and box out the defender and high point the ball. Throwing into double coverage isn't good, but a little different technique by Grimes could of turned this into a TD.
  26. Copeland drops the 300 yard passing ball for Trask. Great throw, which Copeland slows down and then can't catch up on. It was noticeable live as well.
  27. Hits Grimes for 17 yards over the middle.
  28. Swing to Perine for 1 yard.
  29. Trask screen to Copeland for 1 yard. Sad this was his last pass. Wish we could have gotten him another to go over 300 for the day.
Jones
  1. Screen to Pierce for 0. Ball put Pierce too wide and into the CB setting the edge. A yard or two shorter, Pierce can cut in and has blockers.
  2. Screen to Davis for 5 yards.
  3. Good throw to Jefferson for 11 yards.
  4. Screen to Davis for 4 yards.
  5. Throw just too wide for Jaylin Jackson on an out route.
  6. Dangerous throw into double coverage to Copeland who can't bring it in.
Good day overall for both QB's. Funniest comment I heard about Trask was that he checks down where Franks "never" checks down. It was a serious comment. Last week, there was debate on whether Franks checks down too much, lol. If we are honest, Tennessee is bad. However, Trask needs to start somewhere and UT is still a power 5 team. I'm impressed with Game One, is what I thought he could be. Now, we need to continue to build. Next week we honestly have the toughest home game of the season in my opinion. No, I'm not thinking that Auburn is next week. I'm thinking of 3-1 Towson who is a top 10 (don't think new rankings are out while I write this) FCS team who lost in OT to another top 25 FCS team Villanova yesterday. Just another opportunity to get everything revved up going into the depths of October.

Defense
Pretty good day, but there are still kinks to work out. The Tennessee scoring drive is probably the best example I can give, not just because its a scoring drive, but because there is a specific issue. Example, a big throw to Johnson for 21 yards. It's 2nd and 3, Davis is in line up 15 yards of of Johnson, the inside of a trips of receivers. Johnson just needs to run a two yard slant to get the ball in space which happens and he gets plenty of YAC. It's not like there was a linebacker lined up where they could easily move into the slant route until Davis could get forward. Against better receivers and teams this could hurt us more. We need to find a good balance between a press and blitz and playing so far off receivers its an easy reception.

Getting Burney back was nice. He had a good interception and did well with other things. Also, lead us in tackles. It also helped as Ventrell Miller got injured early and didn't appear to return. Greenard continues to be a beast. Adding 3 pass break ups and a forced fumble to his resume.

Students
The Student Section continues to embarrass. Lots of low seats empty again at kickoff. For those following me on Twitter, I posted some pics. It does seem like Stricklin is looking into what to do according to a response I saw him make on Twitter. It's one thing for student's to make an excuse of UT-Martin, but that doesn't fly when its Tennessee.

My solution, note what block it is and disband the block for 4 years so that none of the students will in theory will be eligible for block seating during their time in Gainesville. Is this harsh? Yes, but I'm tired of excuses. In a perfect world, it would all be General Admission, but unfortunately its not. We are talking massing openings down low where entire blocks haven't arrived, if you don't want to watch from good seats, you don't deserve to have access to good seats.

Around the Nation
  • UCF finally loses at Pitt. I have seen a post this morning about how Clemson was the last undefeated team to lose the Pitt by 1 and they won a National Title, so its not over. It's over.
  • For the second year in a row, Louisville snatches defeat from the jaws of victory by throwing late picks against FSU.
  • Transitive property time, App State beat UNC who beat USCe and Miami, App State could be first in the Coastal or 6th in the East.
  • I think Wisconsin just scored again.
  • Anyone see how Leach's boys just blew their inexplicable game for this season? Chip Kelly gets his first win on the season by coming from 29 down.
  • LSU's defense continues to be unstoppable to go with their offense as I've heard for weeks. This time holding Vandy to only 38 points.
  • Auburn looks good when Nix doesn't have to do much.
  • That kid from #FailState sure looked good with a start and Kentucky wasn't ready for their first road game.

We are 4-0 for the first time since 2015 and only the 4th time this decade and that's not nothing. First time we are 4-0 with 3 power 5 wins this decade. We go for 5-0 in the Swamp next week.

Go Gators!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Next week we honestly have the toughest home game of the season in my opinion. No, I'm not thinking that Auburn is next week. I'm thinking of 3-1 Towson who is a top 10 (don't think new rankings are out while I write this) FCS team
Do you mean toughest thus far, or toughest of all home games? If it’s the latter, why tougher than Auburn?
As for Trask, great analysis as always, though on the pass to Swain which was broken up by the UT defender (#16), I think if Trask had the ball a little more in front of Swain, it’s a completion. I credit Trask for making the throw; to a lot of college QBs, Swain would not have been considered open. I do worry that Trask may be a little too confident in his ability to throw into tight windows. Any thoughts on that?

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
My solution, note what block it is and disband the block for 4 years so that none of the students will in theory will be eligible for block seating during their time in Gainesville. Is this harsh? Yes, but I'm tired of excuses. In a perfect world, it would all be General Admission, but unfortunately its not. We are talking massing openings down low where entire blocks haven't arrived, if you don't want to watch from good seats, you don't deserve to have access to good seats.

I think we should create a standby/checkin system similar to airlines. If you don't show up and check into the game within X minutes of (or after) kickoff, your seat is forfeited and given to someone on the standby list.

Also I'm on board with eliminating the idea of a "student section". Just give students first dibs to buy seats at a steep discount, then open it up to general admission.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
@GatorTruth133 great write up. Nothing to argue with for me. Only thought I had was on student seating - maybe assign two prices for the student block - students have the right to buy tickets at the student rate until 1 week prior to the game. At the 1 week mark, prices change to general admission rates and are open to everyone. Gives the students the advantage but also helps with admissions if they fall short.

@Gator By Marriage I think overconfidence and a need to prove himself led to at least the first INT. Don’t forget, he took a bad sack the play before the 1st INT. He had like 6+ seconds in the pocket AND the left side was open for a big gain if he tucked and ran. He knew it too - was doing the “my bad” thing to the other players. Next play, he tries to thread a near impossible pass into coverage downfield. I’ll take the aggressiveness though - just needs some throttling. I completely agree with Truth’s take on the second. Just not smart given the coverage but great teaching point for the coach’s.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@GatorTruth133 great write up. Nothing to argue with for me. Only thought I had was on student seating - maybe assign two prices for the student block - students have the right to buy tickets at the student rate until 1 week prior to the game. At the 1 week mark, prices change to general admission rates and are open to everyone. Gives the students the advantage but also helps with admissions if they fall short.

@Gator By Marriage I think overconfidence and a need to prove himself led to at least the first INT. Don’t forget, he took a bad sack the play before the 1st INT. He had like 6+ seconds in the pocket AND the left side was open for a big gain if he tucked and ran. He knew it too - was doing the “my bad” thing to the other players. Next play, he tries to tread a near impossible pass into coverage downfield. I’ll take the aggressiveness though - just needs some throttling. I completely agree with Truth’s take on the second. Just not smart given the coverage but great teaching point for the coach’s.
I too saw that wide open area to his left where he could have picked up quite a few yards. (I asked my dog why didn’t he run there, but she didn’t respond.) This is where we’ll find out a lot about KT in can he learn from his mistakes.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I have a list of admittedly amateur observations...

Offense-

1. I don't remember the last time I saw our WRs CONSISTENTLY WIDE OPEN when the ball arrives. I'm guessing Trask's timing is better than anyone we've had in a long time.

2. Love the downfield passing. I hope that helps the run game eventually. Need to use the pass to set up the run.

3. I hate to say it, but if we didn't land EJ, we probably would've "settled" for Jarren Williams. Thinking back to the miamuh game, I think he would've been a solid fit for this O. Better passer and mobile enough for the run threat. Oh well. Hope the light comes on for EJ soon.

4. DM gets a bit stubborn with the running game. A coach who's stubborn... that's a first...

5. Not a single jet sweep. Not even a fake sweep. DM needs to add roughly one per quarter to test the edge and loosen the middle for our RBs. Again, stubborn playcalling.

6. Need to get the run game going before we face the tougher SEC defenses in Oct!

7. Donk is still calling Trask, "Trash" after KT bailed us out @ ky and won his first SEC game as a starter. I wonder what it will take for donk to show some respect for a kid who's been nothing but a great UF rep. Not on the "KT for heisman" train, but I hope he continues to prove the ass wrong each week.

Defense-

8. So glad TG brought in Greenard. With Zuniga out, he made a ton of big plays. I hope Z is 100% by the time we play the tough competition. (CJ, too!)

9. Tackling has improved. I noticed Elam and Kimbrough wrapping up. Good stuff from the freshmen!

We won. We beat tinerc. Overall an enjoyable game. Go Gators!!!

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think we should create a standby/checkin system similar to airlines. If you don't show up and check into the game within X minutes of (or after) kickoff, your seat is forfeited and given to someone on the standby list.

Also I'm on board with eliminating the idea of a "student section". Just give students first dibs to buy seats at a steep discount, then open it up to general admission.
I was there and while a lot of students weren't there at opening kickoff, they DID show up mid-way through 1st qtr. A noon start, I'm almost 64, and I almost wasn't in my seat at kickoff because I wanted to finish lunch. And if blocks are arranged as they were 42+ yrs ago, my frat had a different rotating location each game. So if that's the way it's still done, UF would have to track attendance game by game before making a decision. As for Bama's method, I'm a professor of IT and that's gonna be a discussion question in class - violation of privacy or not.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
As for Bama's method, I'm a professor of IT and that's gonna be a discussion question in class - violation of privacy or not.

Google knows your location every minute of the day. How would this be any worse? Students would need to give location permission in order to get the tickets.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I love all the comments about “Trash” v. Trask. But It’s not only Donk....others have picked it up over time. I was calling it out when KT was an inexperienced, oft-injured, clipboard holding, 3rd string Gator.

Keyword...Gator. (1) Why attack another Gator (2) Don’t call a man a name online that you wouldn’t call him to his face.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I love all the comments about “Trash” v. Trask. But It’s not only Donk....others have picked it up over time. I was calling it out when KT was an inexperienced, oft-injured, clipboard holding, 3rd string Gator.

Keyword...Gator. (1) Why attack another Gator (2) Don’t call a man a name online that you wouldn’t call him to his face.
Can't give this post enough likes.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
He does have a ton of trust in his receivers though...

And well he should - our best advantage going into any game at this point is that our receivers, and tight end when Pitts is in, are as good as any team we'll play including LSU, Georgia and even Alabama if we both are able to make it to the SEC Championship Game.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

7. Donk is still calling Trask, "Trash" after KT bailed us out @ ky and won his first SEC game as a starter. I wonder what it will take for donk to show some respect for a kid who's been nothing but a great UF rep. Not on the "KT for heisman" train, but I hope he continues to prove the ass wrong each week.

Don't you mean Douchekey? Works both ways... :)

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

EXACTLY!!!

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
1. I don't remember the last time I saw our WRs CONSISTENTLY WIDE OPEN when the ball arrives. I'm guessing Trask's timing is better than anyone we've had in a long time.

I have said multiple times that from the time Trask stepped on the field, all of a sudden WR's were running wide open all over the freaking place. Coincidence? Surely CDM hasn't installed a specific offense for each QB? We knew how good the WR corps was supposed to be and now we're seeing it.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Google knows your location every minute of the day. How would this be any worse? Students would need to give location permission in order to get the tickets.
Of course I know Google does that. But would Bama be able to obtain that data from Google without their app? It would be nearly impossible. Even if Bama had access to that data, the programming would be cost prohibitive.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Of course I know Google does that. But would Bama be able to obtain that data from Google without their app? It would be nearly impossible. Even if Bama had access to that data, the programming would be cost prohibitive.

The data is for sale; Google doesn't care who they sell to.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Sorry on delays everyone. Was preparing for court and had court most the day. Taking a breather to answer a few now.

Do you mean toughest thus far, or toughest of all home games? If it’s the latter, why tougher than Auburn?
As for Trask, great analysis as always, though on the pass to Swain which was broken up by the UT defender (#16), I think if Trask had the ball a little more in front of Swain, it’s a completion. I credit Trask for making the throw; to a lot of college QBs, Swain would not have been considered open. I do worry that Trask may be a little too confident in his ability to throw into tight windows. Any thoughts on that?

I meant so far, and seriously be #2 on the year :dunno:. Just that kind of year with UT and FSU where they are. Remember when these (odd years) were supposed to be the big years?

The thing with this is that the students not showing up already have tickets. Check my Twitter and the 3 pics I took. Those are premium seats in my opinion (the lower part). The three pics for anyone wondering are 1. At the Anthem, 2. 11:58 as Scott Stricklin pleaded fans for, and 3. After the first TD. The large sections open tell me it's a block issue and not individual seats.

Offense-

2. Love the downfield passing. I hope that helps the run game eventually. Need to use the pass to set up the run.

3. I hate to say it, but if we didn't land EJ, we probably would've "settled" for Jarren Williams. Thinking back to the miamuh game, I think he would've been a solid fit for this O. Better passer and mobile enough for the run threat. Oh well. Hope the light comes on for EJ soon.

4. DM gets a bit stubborn with the running game. A coach who's stubborn... that's a first...

5. Not a single jet sweep. Not even a fake sweep. DM needs to add roughly one per quarter to test the edge and loosen the middle for our RBs. Again, stubborn playcalling.

6. Need to get the run game going before we face the tougher SEC defenses in Oct!

Defense-

8. So glad TG brought in Greenard. With Zuniga out, he made a ton of big plays. I hope Z is 100% by the time we play the tough competition. (CJ, too!)

9. Tackling has improved. I noticed Elam and Kimbrough wrapping up. Good stuff from the freshmen!

We won. We beat tinerc. Overall an enjoyable game. Go Gators!!!

I wish we had a few more jet sweeps and speed options. We did have the reverse to Copeland so that was something. The issue with a speed option is that we would in most cases (TD against UK aside) would be to run to the QB's dominant hand. Trask is right handed which leans to running to the right, which as I've emphasized is the disappointing side of the line (sans when Delance is benched and Forsythe slides over).

I'll also offer this, I don't think we've seen as much creativity with the running because we haven't needed it. I'm not saying the running game hasn't been weak, it has, but we've literally punted 6 times in 4 games. 3 against Miami and 1 in the remaining 3. The punt against UT-Martin was well after the game was over. Kentucky was in the 4th quarter, and Tennessee was after we tried something new even though we were doing well.

Point is, outside of us doing dumb things like turnovers, our offense has been damn near unstoppable against competition so far. What I mean is, we've moved the ball well so no need to use plays we can save for October. I'd like to see us run better out of a normal line up/play, but I think we have plenty up our sleeve.

Unless something freakish happens, I would keep Zuniga out Saturday as there is no reason to rush an ankle injury, same with Hendo. The freshman have been good for freshman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb