Truth Takes: As Nasty As We Wanna Be

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I thought all those fourth down conversions would have more of an impact. It was oddly unsatisfying. Even their QB kept playing well after being pounded and harassed. Good coaching. Our guys did not quit either.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I thought all those fourth down conversions would have more of an impact. It was oddly unsatisfying. Even their QB kept playing well after being pounded and harassed. Good coaching. Our guys did not quit either.

I missed discussing the 4th downs overall. I think this game is a better building block than blowing out Miami and having big heads

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely some head scratch play calls. Hope Dan flushes that game plan down the toilet where it belongs.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
oh, and MOVE BACK YOU SUCK IS BACK!

Overall good post and worthy of many likes . . . until this. I know you’re younger but this very recent addition to the in-stadium chants is an abomination that requires thousands of Gator fans basically doing a tomahawk chop. No f’ing way. Even a first down signal should be to shoot your arm out more like a pool shot than a chop. And you yelled at someone else about holding up 4 fingers (probably rightly)? Also, didn’t that entire chant/chop bs start under Muschamp? It should have died then too.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Overall good post and worthy of many likes . . . until this. I know you’re younger but this very recent addition to the in-stadium chants is an abomination that requires thousands of Gator fans basically doing a tomahawk chop. No f’ing way. Even a first down signal should be to shoot your arm out more like a pool shot than a chop. And you yelled at someone else about holding up 4 fingers (probably rightly)? Also, didn’t that entire chant/chop bs start under Muschamp? It should have died then too.

I’ll respectfully disagree. I understand the chop comments, is what it is, also the keyword of basically vs. it being the actual thing. However, this is a school sponsored thing vs. four fingers which isn’t a thing. And four fingers IS a FSU, UGA thing.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You missed the part about first setting it up with the screens. It's amazing when a two part process is given and part one isn't done so part 2 wouldn't be done. Then people go PART 2 DIDN'T WORK, and I'm like, yeah because part 1 to set it up didn't happen. Then the reply is BUT PART 2 DIDN'T WORK, then I facepalm.

I think the line at this point isn't up to it like the 2018 line. KY will tell us a lot about the run game as they are actually decent in their front 7 again this year - at least by KY standards despite losing some key players.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good write-up. I'm glad you mentioned the play calling. Thought Mullen's game plan was as bad as the missed tackles. Their defense's strength is their front 7. So why line up in that bunch formation that encourages them to play 7-8 in the box? Doesn't make sense, and yet... we kept going back to it with little success.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Good write-up. I'm glad you mentioned the play calling. Thought Mullen's game plan was as bad as the missed tackles. Their defense's strength is their front 7. So why line up in that bunch formation that encourages them to play 7-8 in the box? Doesn't make sense, and yet... we kept going back to it with little success.
The bunch formation to one side would be fine if we ran a true rpo out of it. That wasn’t the case though, we just kept trying to get them spread out and hope our oline could open big enough holes for Perine/Davis. I kept expecting a tunnel screen or some kind of fake screen, sideline wheel out of that formation but never saw it. Maybe Dan didn’t get the looks he wanted out of it, so we never called it.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It was almost as if Mullen just thought we would walk through this team with some generic BS play calls. I'm not saying you wanna show everything in week 1 but it was obvious by the 2nd or 3rd series that their defense was legitimate enough to warrant some strategic recalculations....
I think you take him at his word. Mullen says he was giving Franks the chance to win it. A lot of the play calls were allowing Franks to look downfield and throw. Maybe trusting Franks was the biggest problem?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Did you see that offseason clip with Mullen and Johnson? As crazy as it sounds, they claim that they play call by committee. Like, whoever sees something throws it out there and no one questions it unless Mullen just overrules. It sounded cool in concept but not sure I really like it if true. Someone should be the focal point with others inputting to make sure there is a consistent theme. They were claiming that a bunch of the Michigan plays were called by Johnson. I dunno, food for thought.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I’ll respectfully disagree. I understand the chop comments, is what it is, also the keyword of basically vs. it being the actual thing. However, this is a school sponsored thing vs. four fingers which isn’t a thing. And four fingers IS a FSU, UGA thing.
They both suck.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I think the line at this point isn't up to it like the 2018 line. KY will tell us a lot about the run game as they are actually decent in their front 7 again this year - at least by KY standards despite losing some key players.
Totally agree but I think Miami is better in their front 7 overall. Kentucky is going to be in a bad way without Allen. He was a monster.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
The playcalling last night was more than a little bad....it may have been the worst in Gator history.....
image.jpg
It was admittedly very subpar for this staff, but really, worst ever? I can think of games called by Muschamp and Butters and even Doug Dickey that were way worse. The game I attended at Auburn when Emmitt Smith came within a last second desperation TD from beating them single handedly was very challenged in the play calling department.

That said, however, this game was one of the most disappointing of all time because this team has too many weapons to squander them so voluntarily. It is inexplicable why they didn't take an approach that just focus on getting skill players in space. Given Franks height, bulk, and athleticism combined with our stable of RBs, our wealth of WRs, our unique blend of TEs, and Toney, we could have largely just run RPO with little tosses to wide open guys in the flats and we'd likely have averaged 7 yards a play.

I'm super glad we won and I'm even happier that this obviously much needed dose of humility didn't come at a higher price. I'm pretty sure we'll see a different team in Lexington. They should now be able to watch the film and use the next 3 weeks to make the adjustments necessary to transform this team into one that takes better advantage of its assets. Defense should remember how to tackle by then too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.