Truth Takes: As Nasty As We Wanna Be

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I think the line at this point isn't up to it like the 2018 line. KY will tell us a lot about the run game as they are actually decent in their front 7 again this year - at least by KY standards despite losing some key players.

So we are pivoting away from the running game comment to the line, while comparing the line to last year's line without the same help last years line got. Examples of course being the screen game against the likes of #failstate and Michigan. I've pointed out formation differences as well such as bunching. All I see from you is conjecture with no details for comparison, no analysis of comparative gameplay, etc. Plus, didn't you spend the last week telling me that Miami was the best run defense we've faced since Mullen's been here? Now you're acting like that same defense is Charleston Southern.

Give me play examples from this game compared to a game from last year, such as the down, distance, time left in quarter and how the scheme was helping them up until that point. I have provided plenty. And I'm not saying we are there yet, in fact I think my words have been that our line "could" reach the same level of mediocrity as last year. Meaning it is a developing process.
:lmao:

Did anyone ACTUALLY believe Mr. Snailspace Mullinz was going uptempo? For a second?

Anyone but drunk ass Andrieu?

I'll hold the jury still out on this. Though it is a see it.

Side note, re-watched a clip someone made of the second pick like 20 times. Pretty sure Franks is hit by his own lineman as he's throwing it away. Still, shouldn't be throwing it there and he should take the sack. That's coaching. Still a dumb play by Franks, but throwing when hit is much different than throwing cleanly. Can't emphasize enough though that the ball should have never left his hand.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Did you see that offseason clip with Mullen and Johnson? As crazy as it sounds, they claim that they play call by committee. Like, whoever sees something throws it out there and no one questions it unless Mullen just overrules. It sounded cool in concept but not sure I really like it if true. Someone should be the focal point with others inputting to make sure there is a consistent theme. They were claiming that a bunch of the Michigan plays were called by Johnson. I dunno, food for thought.
Sounds like something WiLLLLLLLLie would say

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
So we are pivoting away from the running game comment to the line, while comparing the line to last year's line without the same help last years line got. Examples of course being the screen game against the likes of #failstate and Michigan. I've pointed out formation differences as well such as bunching. All I see from you is conjecture with no details for comparison, no analysis of comparative gameplay, etc. Plus, didn't you spend the last week telling me that Miami was the best run defense we've faced since Mullen's been here? Now you're acting like that same defense is Charleston Southern.

Give me play examples from this game compared to a game from last year, such as the down, distance, time left in quarter and how the scheme was helping them up until that point. I have provided plenty. And I'm not saying we are there yet, in fact I think my words have been that our line "could" reach the same level of mediocrity as last year. Meaning it is a developing process.

Side note, re-watched a clip someone made of the second pick like 20 times. Pretty sure Franks is hit by his own lineman as he's throwing it away. Still, shouldn't be throwing it there and he should take the sack. That's coaching. Still a dumb play by Franks, but throwing when hit is much different than throwing cleanly. Can't emphasize enough though that the ball should have never left his hand.
Don’t sweat too much of what Canes Fever has to say, he’s just pissed his team lost

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Don’t sweat too much of what Canes Fever has to say, he’s just pissed his team lost

Not sweating it, just he loves to make statements and when I've asked in the past for him to use gameplay examples and football strategy I get crickets.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

If I may, yes the ball should have left his hand. The only reason the ball should have touched his hand at all on that play was to take the snap and place into the belly of a RB. But as I like to say Cousin Eddie:Game Management = Oil:Water

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
If I may, yes the ball should have left his hand. The only reason the ball should have touched his hand at all on that play was to take the snap and place into the belly of a RB. But as I like to say Cousin Eddie:Game Management = Oil:Water

I mean, I'll give you that. I think we both know I had the context of passing.:fistbump: We've had worse though. The end of Tennessee '17 comes to mind. The Heave to Cleve made people forget what a disgrace time management was there.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I mean, I'll give you that. I think we both know I had the context of passing.:fistbump: We've had worse though. The end of Tennessee '17 comes to mind. The Heave to Cleve made people forget what a disgrace time management was there.

Oh it did not make me forget. I was there and it was one of the last games I attended. If not for the most horrendous play calling I have even seen by Butch Jones on 1st and goal at the one yard line for UT, Butters does not even have the chance to completely screw up the clock management at the end of that game. That will always go down as the worst coached game I have ever attended by both head coaches.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Your second paragraph is what scares me. If it’s real, hopefully he’ll pick up someone next with different experience. Like I said... I don’t like it if true.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
you play ball control the entire game, run the option several dozen times after it's obvious it's not going to be there, then when the game is over and you just need to kill the clock, youre throwing downfield ?

trying to salvage how bad the score looked likely.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
@ltraz nevermind. It was a “The Athletic” article. Claims Mullen is primary playcaller but he doesn’t hesitate when given a play by any of the assistants. Tidbit:

What that play is and who calls the play mostly depends on what is seen from the defense.

“Everyone sees something different, and on the game day we’re looking at different things,” Hevesy said. “So there’s different things that maybe I’ll say, let’s do it. Brian is looking at maybe more at the perimeter. Larry is looking at the tight ends. Billy’s looking at the perimeter, saying, ‘Hey, take that shot, we can beat the corner, they substituted a corner or the safety is out, take a shot now. We can win one-on-one with Van (Jefferson) or Tyrie (Cleveland).’ ”

When one of the assistants does see something like that and offers a suggestion Mullen likes, he has one simple, efficient response.

Call it. There’s no reason to waste time.

“If I’m in the game and Brian’s like, ‘Run this now,’ I’m like, ‘Call it,’ ” Mullen said. “So it’s not like I’m trying to find the call. He knows, it was in his mind what we should run at that moment and I just shut my mouth and he calls the play to signal it. And that’s just kind of how we do it.”

When Florida is really rolling offensively, the same words get repeated over headsets.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
so you guys think the assistants were screaming "hey run the option again, surely it will work this time" for the first three and a half quarters?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
so you guys think the assistants were screaming "hey run the option again, surely it will work this time"
No clue. I’m guessing an assistant was the one who came up with the deep ball to Hammond. Probably had the same look as the play before when Franks was picked and the assistant noticed. Johnson in the booth most likely.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
No clue. I’m guessing an assistant was the one who came up with the deep ball to Hammond. Probably had the same look as the play before when Franks was picked and the assistant noticed. Johnson in the booth most likely.

You mean like I said where it was the exact same seam route? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.