Truth Takes: As Nasty As We Wanna Be

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
He is emotional and he takes being vilified on social media way too hard. Then overreacts to it. Typical young dude. I don’t assume that college football players are any different than most young dudes today. Young guys do stupid shyt all the time. I did, my brother did and my sons did.

As a Company Commander Monday mornings were both concerning and fascinating because that’s when I was briefed on all the dumb **** my Marines did over the weekend. It also reminded me what I was at their age. I would not have had the career I had were it not for my CO who saw my potential through my immaturity.

I find calling a college athlete a mental midget or an idiot far more immature than a player getting too pumped up during a game.
As a company commander myself, I don’t disagree... but my guys were never in the spotlight he’s in. You know he’s told to cool it and does it anyway. Like it or not, when he committed to the university, he committed to representing the school, not just himself. That’s the difference. Of course, you also know that if one of your guys messed up bad enough, the news wouldn’t report it as “Private Schmuckatelly did XYZ”. It’s report “Marine did XYZ” which brings embarrassment to the Corps.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He is emotional and he takes being vilified on social media way too hard. Then overreacts to it. Typical young dude. I don’t assume that college football players are any different than most young dudes today. Young guys do stupid shyt all the time. I did, my brother did and my sons did.

As a Company Commander Monday mornings were both concerning and fascinating because that’s when I was briefed on all the dumb **** my Marines did over the weekend. It also reminded me what I was at their age. I would not have had the career I had were it not for my CO who saw my potential through my immaturity.

I find calling a college athlete a mental midget or an idiot far more immature than a player getting too pumped up during a game.
Yawn. Name one QB the Gators have had in the last 50 years that acted like Franks. No one is disputing young men are immature, but QB’s are not supposed to be. They have to lead, not constantly show the spotlight on themselves.

Franks has earned every single bit of the criticism for his behavior. You guys act like every QB in FBS acts like him, and that’s obviously a lie. Hell, most HIGH SCHOOL QB’s don’t act like that. Quit defending his embarrassing antics.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Yawn. Name one QB the Gators have had in the last 50 years that acted like Franks. No one is disputing young men are immature, but QB’s are not supposed to be. They have to lead, not constantly show the spotlight on themselves.

Franks has earned every single bit of the criticism for his behavior. You guys act like every QB in FBS acts like him, and that’s obviously a lie. Hell, most HIGH SCHOOL QB’s don’t act like that. Quit defending his embarrassing antics.

OX,

Though I agree about Franks...and we know you have issues with him., ever hear of "Mr. Football" or Cam Newton?

But I've been told, I'm very old school. I liked coaches like Tom Landry and not Jimmy Johnson.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

I can name 3 recent quarterbacks who acted a lot like Frank's. They are probably 3 of the biggest dooshers in recent memory but were all light years better then him also. Manziel, Winston and Newton.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Please, FF is a jerk, but he doesn't belong in the same conversation as those thugs

Your right they all won the Heisman.

I didn't mean he acted like them off the field. But you have to admit his self celebration is similar. I'm 100% cheering for the kid, just wish he'd tone down the sideline antics.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

He has earned the respect of his teammates. That much is clear. Mullen likes him which all that really matters.

He needs to mature and quit being bothered by the hate. Even Mullen tells that all the time. But everything you direct his way is an overreaction. Get over it. I have a hard time understanding how the kid reacts but have no understanding how a grown azz man can get so worked up.

Seemingly everyone gets offended these days.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
As a company commander myself, I don’t disagree... but my guys were never in the spotlight he’s in. You know he’s told to cool it and does it anyway. Like it or not, when he committed to the university, he committed to representing the school, not just himself. That’s the difference. Of course, you also know that if one of your guys messed up bad enough, the news wouldn’t report it as “Private Schmuckatelly did XYZ”. It’s report “Marine did XYZ” which brings embarrassment to the Corps.

I don’t disagree. In fact it’s one thing I thing everyone agrees on. The kid is immature. Mullen has stated he frequently talks to him about ignoring the hate directed at him. Even told him he shouldn’t even read it.

It’s not a good look for him, the program or the university. But a far worse look is the over the top hate directed at him and the personal nature of the comments. It’s just ridiculous.

I’m far more interested in how he treats his teammates than how he treats us. He has always been a good teammate.

BTW, some of the best Marines I ever knew, followed or led were also amongst the hardest to rein in.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I don’t disagree. In fact it’s one thing I thing everyone agrees on. The kid is immature. Mullen has stated he frequently talks to him about ignoring the hate directed at him. Even told him he shouldn’t even read it.

It’s not a good look for him, the program or the university. But a far worse look is the over the top hate directed at him and the personal nature of the comments. It’s just ridiculous.

I’m far more interested in how he treats his teammates than how he treats us. He has always been a good teammate.

BTW, some of the best Marines I ever knew, followed or led were also amongst the hardest to rein in.
I don't think either look can be viewed as “worse”. Both are immature. Franks, in theory, is being insubordinate to his leadership. Fans, in theory, are generally grown adults hiding behind a screen and acting immature.

To your last point... I don’t doubt it but I’d also wager there was just as many (or more) Marines that toed the line, never caused problems, and were considered a “unit multiplier”. Insubordinate or “hard to rein in” military personnel are like Butters’ specials - sure, every once in a while they’ll pan out and become a super star but more often than not they’ll wash out. I’ll take the 5 star Seabee/Marine any day. Unfortunately (fortunately? Part of the fun of leadership is making a difference in someone’s life, especially the troubled ones), you don’t get to pick in the military :lol:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I don't think either look can be viewed as “worse”. Both are immature. Franks, in theory, is being insubordinate to his leadership. Fans, in theory, are generally grown adults hiding behind a screen and acting immature.

To your last point... I don’t doubt it but I’d also wager there was just as many (or more) Marines that toed the line, never caused problems, and were considered a “unit multiplier”. Insubordinate or “hard to rein in” military personnel are like Butters’ specials - sure, every once in a while they’ll pan out and become a super star but more often than not they’ll wash out. I’ll take the 5 star Seabee/Marine any day. Unfortunately (fortunately? Part of the fun of leadership is making a difference in someone’s life, especially the troubled ones), you don’t get to pick in the military :lol:
Well, it's not like FF I'd Private Endore in War Hunt.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Get over it. I have a hard time understanding how the kid reacts but have no understanding how a grown azz man can get so worked up.
What is "worked up"? Making a post on a message board?

The fact is, if he didn't suck we'd all overlook and even defend his sideline embarrassments. That's the bottom line. He needs to play better - period.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
He has earned the respect of his teammates. That much is clear. Mullen likes him which all that really matters.

He needs to mature and quit being bothered by the hate. Even Mullen tells that all the time. But everything you direct his way is an overreaction. Get over it. I have a hard time understanding how the kid reacts but have no understanding how a grown azz man can get so worked up.

Seemingly everyone gets offended these days.
The kid has moxie, I'll give him that.... He's pure emotion. Just wish he were better after the ball was snapped. The game needs to slow down for him or he's not gonna progress beyond his Driskelisms.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Agree to some extent but I was one of those wild ones as a young enlisted Marine. But was lucky enough to have a CO who understood young Marines and got me pointed in the right direction....enough so that I was later commissioned myself. I used that experience to mentor many myself.

Franks is child’s play in comparison to some of them. Good kid, great teammate and plays with passion. Just immature. The hate and personal attacks are uncalled for and over the top. He has developed his own way to deal with it. He seems to play better the more passionately he pushes back.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
What is "worked up"? Making a post on a message board?

The fact is, if he didn't suck we'd all overlook and even defend his sideline embarrassments. That's the bottom line. He needs to play better - period.

Another thing we can agree on. We want to see him play better.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Agree to some extent but I was one of those wild ones as a young enlisted Marine. But was lucky enough to have a CO who understood young Marines and got me pointed in the right direction....enough so that I was later commissioned myself. I used that experience to mentor many myself.

Franks is child’s play in comparison to some of them. Good kid, great teammate and plays with passion. Just immature. The hate and personal attacks are uncalled for and over the top. He has developed his own way to deal with it. He seems to play better the more passionately he pushes back.
You and I see and deal with kids that half this board couldn’t even imagine contributing to society. A lot come from broken homes, terrible childhoods, etc. Most folks here don’t get to see that so Franks antics are relatively bad in their eyes. I don’t like them as an alumnus but I’m not about to compare them to the crazy things I’ve seen while operational. Bored Seabees find all sorts of ways to get in trouble...

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The difference between cocky and confident is the ability to back it up, consistently. That last word is where he fouls it up and earns the ire for his antics.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Jumping in (sorry, been enjoying Disney the past few days #thatorlandolife). In no way will I defend Franks' antics. I'll defend a lot of his play, call his stupid play when he plays stupid, but I'm not good with a lot of his stuff. Like the shushing last year. If he were consistent he wouldn't get the stuff needing him to shush. Good, you brought the team back against Carolina, but you aren't talking about your MIzzou and UGA games. Or running his mouth to the camera then throwing a pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator