Truth Takes: Dan Mullen Era Begins In Style

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
First, I want to say Cover2 and the Captain have written great things on this game, so if you have time, I hope to give some of the same, and yet some different commentary after last nights season opening game. Check out their musings of the game. For comparison, this is how I felt last year after game one, thank you BMF for preserving this for me (one of my best in my opinion).

Second, I want to apologize to GatorChatter, although I correctly predicted 59 points would be scored, I was wrong, it wasn't 56-3, but 53-6. :dunno: Ok, that is me just making a joke about being close on a score for once.

Predictions Right:
250ish passing yards (241)
No missed kicks

Predictions Wrong:
Defense Under 200 yards (although, there is some reason for this that I actually like and some I don't)
250+ Rushing (205)
500+ Yards (Not mad about this for same reasons I'll state below)

Anyways, something I haven't seen here, but I could have missed in the typical beginning of season rush of posts is about the Gator Walk. I maybe average one per year at the Swamp and the one at WLOCP (because I tailgate 50 feet away). In the past few years, the team has been very stoic and serious walking in with arbitrary arms out to brush people seeking high fives. However, yesterday the team seemed more upbeat, loose, smiling, most high fives seemed to have effort, including several players stopping to take a second or two with a fan in a wheelchair in front of me. Scarlett was carrying the Chucky doll. Mullen looked happy to be here. What I saw was everything that the Gator Walk should be.

The atmosphere was great despite the non-sellout. I think the recruits could be impressed knowing the circumstances around the low attendance like quality of opponent and the last few seasons. Minor gripe, but the fireworks being where recruits can't see them. Really minor.

The Game
I thought that Mullen would try and force the pass more as Gators fans have seen anemic passing attacks for 8 seasons. I wasn't disappointed. I think our running game was beyond vanilla for what Mullen does. The combination of these two factors (along with some line struggles) lead to a lower number of rushing yards than I would have thought. Another factor in a lower yardage output? We started the majority of our drives at our 35 or closer. Shorter field equals less yards. I'm not going to try and find our average starting position, but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't at least the UF 40.

Consensus seems to be it looks like Franks having a QB coach for the first time in his life actually does make a difference. Franks completed a 66% rate. I re-watched the first half and Trask's first two series on offense (then had to go to the in-law's). There are some things that I noticed in the stadium that I think the broadcast did a poor job of. This included a few replays on some Franks incompletions where they instead did a "hero shot" on Mullen (my HS tv teacher did Bucs game as a producer so I know this is the actual term, not something I'm making up). I like to look at incompletions as not all are the same, some are drops or poor throws or throwaways or great defensive plays, etc. So, let's take a look:

Franks Incompletions:
  1. First incompletion was a batted ball. Franks telegraphed a throw the rusher was able to bat. If he takes a step forward in the pocket, it's a completion.
  2. This was one I was disappointed with the broadcast. Franks threw a decent, not perfect ball to Lewis who dropped it. Rule I live by, if you touch a ball, you catch it (within reason). The replay in the stadium showed Lewis was open, and dropped it shortly before being hit. (I think this lead to him not being targeted again). This route was what Franks hit Gamble on later.
  3. Decent coverage on this one, but if you are a scholarship TE at UF, I expected you to come down with the ball in a jump ball situation. Raymond failed here. (He wasn't targeted again either). Franks could have thrown a better ball, but again, Raymond should beat the CSU DB in a jump ball situation.
  4. Deep ball to Jefferson, if Franks throws this with a little less air (for a little more distance) than this may be 6. With that said, the DB makes a decent play, but had his right arm around Jefferson's waist shortly before the ball arrives. Again, a slightly better throw and the DB is beat.
  5. Franks, who showed some good touch at times, did not show touch on an end zone throw that went over the head and out of reach of Jefferson.
  6. This incompletion did not have a broadcast replay. I only know how close the pass was to being caught by the stadium replay. The ball hits a diving Grimes in the hands, but he didn't haul it in. It would have been a difficult catch, but it was possible. A slightly more inside pass and this is a first down catch. The catch would have looked like the pick at the end of the game.
  7. A great back-shoulder throw that the announcers raved about. Better play by the DB by swatting it out of Jefferson's hands.
  8. This one annoyed me watching it back earlier. I thought at first it was a great throw, just mistimed because of a press at the line of Dre Massey. My buddy said Massey slowed, but I thought it was the press. Watching it today, Massey breaks the press, slows down and then tries to speed up, but the ball lands a yard or two away. If he doesn't slow, its a perfect pass and he has plenty of room to run. He made up for it later with a nice catch in traffic.
There are two throws in particular I want to say Franks showed a much nicer touch than we were used to last year:
  1. The first was perfectly hitting Swain on a corner route for a first down.
  2. The second was the TD pass to Hammond. My uncle, who I was with and can be a major negaGator, said that was a Wuerfful-esque throw to the back corner. I'm not sure I go that high with the praise, but amazing touch pass.
One last thing about Franks last night. As displayed above, there were a few under-throws. Why is this significant? Last year he was over-throwing a lot on deep throws. The under-throws show some adjustment and attempt to get more air under the ball for the receiver to run under. It's something not everyone will notice until its pointed out, but it shows signs of development from Johnson and Mullen.

Trask. I have heard and seen some people say, "I don't know how there even was a competition." :facepalm: Is it the 100% completion rate in his first in game action in at least 3 years (granted only 3 passes)? Is it that TJ McCoy screwed a drive by snapping a ball that Shaq may have had an issue fielding? Is it a 12-yard QB power TD run? Is it 10 points in the first two drives just like Franks lead? Help me understand what people saw from Trask that shows he is so far behind Franks that even the thought of competition is a joke. I didn't see the massive separation that makes one ask why there was even a competition. So if someone wants to point out the exact play comparisons, while talking about playing with the 1s vs. the 2s, I'll be glad to listen. I thought both played well for what they had.

10 receivers, 10 rushers, that's a big day. I've heard Mullen used everyone available, that's incredible. When you are playing a ton of players, defense will give up some yards, offense won't be as good as the game goes on.

One critique I have is that long run at the end of the first half. You couldn't tell as much on the broadcast, but we were definitely confused on the left side personnel. The sideline wasn't shown on the broadcast, but several players were on the field just off of the sideline trying to figure out if they were subbing in. Mullen should have taken a TO here (I don't think he used a single one on the night). The critique is not as much about giving up a big play, but because it was so obvious to me in the stands that we were not ready for whatever play was coming that we should've have taken a timeout just to be safe. If that is my biggest complaint I will take it.

McPherson and Townsend looked good. As a true freshman kicker, I said and stand by it, that I hope he breaks Jeff Chandler's 368 point record for most points scored by a Gator. Yes, this is different than points responsible for. If you were in Section 13 and you heard a guy say this to another guy 2-5 times, hello.

Quick Hits
  • Zach Carter is one big SOB. I thought Sherit was big.
  • Can't wait to see this D with CeCe, Reese, Ancrum and Kyree and not facing a triple option.
  • Miller made some nice special teams plays. Another big dude.
  • Enjoyed a no huddle and the play clock not needing to be inside 5 seconds before each snap
  • Pierce making an argument for more touches, but I don't think Scarlett and Davis hurt themselves. Davis did have a nice run or too
  • "I Won't Back Down" is great, especially after dark. Can't wait to experience it with a full stadium. Speaking of 3rd Quarter, makes me sad when people leave at any point before "We Are the Boys". I was happy there weren't any FSU/LSU/UGA/UT/Bama/etc. fans clad in the O&B around me holding up 4 fingers. Most the country does that, UF is NOT those schools. We have our own end of the 3rd quarter traditions.
  • I did see some guy at the Gator Walk in UT orange...it's a very distinctive shade. Took a pic for fun (not posted).
  • On the sideline, we had a group of walk-ons and others swaying side to side before the first kickoff and they continued the energy on the sideline all night. Never saw that in the Mac years. Feeds off of the loose feeling I saw at the Gator Walk.
  • Oh, and if you were in the stands whining that the 3rd string/walk-on D was giving up yards (after the TD drive), stop watching. The main defense will give up yards this year, you will have a stroke. So for your health, if you really need to complain about a 3rd string/walk-on D giving up yards, after the shut out has been lost, stop watching.

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out (I realize how much I've written). It was a fun game. I hope to make a post midweek about the state of Out of Conference scheduling both at UF and across the country.

*I've not read anything by any beat writer or site outside of this forum. So if some of this is in every article you read, I apologize.

Go Gators!

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Good post Truth. I thought the fans deserved some props for being as loud and into the game as we were. It was like Gator Nation was busting out of hell. Being at the game was way, WAY better than watching on TV. The place was electric and the band was awesome keeping the cheering going to the final gun. The crowd was screaming at the opponent every time they lined up on offense - just like an SEC game. The Gator players were jumping on the sidelines and swinging towels in the 4th qtr. The Tom Petty song was awesome at night with everybody turning on their cellphone flashlights and rocking them - looked like a million lights. Took my sis and we had a fantastic time!

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Very good post. Thanks for taking the time.

I agree the Swamp was electric. For me sitting on the student side was very telling. The younger the kids looked the more they seemed into it. It dawned on me....a lot these freshmen never experienced the past few years. All they know is what they saw and they were into it in a big way. It was fun watching them have fun.

If we can get to 5-0 which is definitely possible the LSU game will be 100% like the good ole days. The Swamp will be sold out and the noise level will be at near record levels.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good post Truth. I thought the fans deserved some props. The Gator players were jumping on the sidelines and swinging towels in the 4th qtr !

Those sideline players' TV shots, full of max enjoyment at being a Gator, can serve as great recruiting messages, - -- along with the scoring in exciting ways, defense celebrating solid stops, sacks. Next, we gotta show that against better teams. Then the new era will be really underway.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Love your post, Truth. Thanks!

I zonked out late in the 3rd quarter. (I have been nursing a sore back over the weekend. Better now.) But I saw enough of Trask to note his 12-yard TD and how lost he looked on the next series in losing yards on his other 2 carries. 3 for 3, but a pedestrian 7.3 YPA. I’m not going to “trash” the guy but Franks clearly looked much more in command. Yes, he had the 1s and Trask suffered behind the 2nd O-line, but even so he right guy is starting.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Love your post, Truth. Thanks!

I zonked out late in the 3rd quarter. (I have been nursing a sore back over the weekend. Better now.) But I saw enough of Trask to note his 12-yard TD and how lost he looked on the next series in losing yards on his other 2 carries. 3 for 3, but a pedestrian 7.3 YPA. I’m not going to “trash” the guy but Franks clearly looked much more in command. Yes, he had the 1s and Trask suffered behind the 2nd O-line, but even so he right guy is starting.

I’m not making an argument Trask should start. I’m just saying I don’t see the “not even close” idea that’s out there. I think I replied elsewhere that the command part is the best commentary I’ve heard on the issue.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite bullet (of many):

Truth said:
  • Enjoyed a no huddle and the play clock not needing to be inside 5 seconds before each snap

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
I’m not making an argument Trask should start. I’m just saying I don’t see the “not even close” idea that’s out there. I think I replied elsewhere that the command part is the best commentary I’ve heard on the issue.

I don't believe the evaluation of Trask is accurate. He wasn't in with the ones. most of his ol was 2/3's. Didn't really have the same opportunity as Franks.. Did have the deer in the headlights look though.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I don't believe the evaluation of Trask is accurate. He wasn't in with the ones. most of his ol was 2/3's. Didn't really have the same opportunity as Franks.. Did have the deer in the headlights look though.

Yeah for a kid with little experience I thought he did ok.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My take on Trask (the few passes I can remember) is he GETS the ball out quickly...........I like his release...

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. Hopefully, both here and on the field this will be the most fun season we have had in a decade. Although here is mostly fun all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator