Truth Takes: Florida takes down Utah

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
In the movie Kingdom of Heaven as Balian of Ibelin (played by Orlando Bloom) is surrendering the City of Jerusalem to Saladin and his army he asks Saladin "What is Jerusalem worth?" Saladin quickly replies "Nothing" then after a long pause he then replies "Everything".

That scene describes everything that this victory over #7 Utah was. Does it mean anything for the SEC race? No. Does it necessarily mean UF will have a great season? No. Does it mean that in a few years time we will know Napier is that guy? No. In that way, this victory means nothing.

However, for a team that finished with a losing record in 2021 and many have written off as a few years away from competing with competent teams, a top 10 victory means everything. For a team that many including Chris Doering picked to go 6-6 and plenty of "fans" believed would not win a game against a team with a pulse, this win means everything. For a coach who has come in and done everything off the field a fan could ask for, but still needs results on the field, this means everything. For fans who have barely seen any wins over top 10 teams for the better part of a decade and many times celebrated moral victories (I'm looking at the Bama games in 2020 and 2021), this win means everything.

On the Gator Truth Florida Football podcast, I discussed the turnover in Utah's front 7 and how I believed we would be able to run on the Utes. On the night the Gators averaged 7.3 yards per carry. On the first two drives we were averaging over 10 ypc. The kid in me that grew up in the Spurrier era loves a good passing game, but going into the game winning drive I told my group that I wouldn't pass unless absolutely necessary. We had been running really well and indeed we continued to. We also utilized tempo without subbing at times, another key I listed on the podcast. The tempo was successful and at times had me asking if we scored too quickly. We weren't perfect, but we did what we needed to do.

Anthony Richardson against what I believe is the best defense we will face in the first half of the season showed he can be that guy we believed he could be. He was 17/24 (70%) for 168 yards passing. On a night where we knew we we could run he did more damage with his legs, finishing with 11 carries for 106 yards, an average of 9.6 yards per carry. The average is weighed down by the two yard TD run for the first Gators score. For all intents and purposes AR averaged 10 yards per carry. That is great. He also did a great job several times escaping the clutches of Utah defenders to either scramble for 45 yards and a TD or that two point conversion.

The Gators running backs did their part as well except that early fumble by Montrell Johnson. Honestly, if he doesn't fumble and we march down for a touchdown on the first drive averaging 10+ ypc, I believe this is a different game. With that said, all three RB's looked good. Even though Wright ended averaging 3.9 ypc, I thought he did well. He got caught with some predictable playcalling late and got blown down for progress in what some would say is a questionable call. Montrell looked like being from the Sun Belt doesn't mean he won't be fine against the SEC and other top competition. Trevor Etienne looked like he will end up being a legend if he stays healthy during his time in Gainesville. He had some highlight reel runs and finished with 12.8 ypc on 5 carries.

The top 3 receivers showed up and did things that were both on and off the stat sheet. Pearsall looks as good as advertised. Henderson had a few important grabs. His average of 6.8 yards per reception is hampered by a few unsuccessful screen plays. Young guys like Daejon Reynolds and Fraziers also saw plenty of action. Reynolds might've had a long touchdown on a screen if not for him seeing the open field and a great block by Shorter and running before securing the catch. This group didn't do as much as some would like, but when you're averaging 7.3 yards per carry it would be foolish to ask them to do more. They did what they needed to do and I expect them to do more when necessary because when they were needed, they delivered.

The Florida offense moved the ball at will for the most part. The offensive line dominated what I do believe is the best front they will face until LSU. Most importantly, this offense showed resilience. Every time they needed to respond to a Utah score, they did. There was no panic, there was no folding. There was only one plan, pound the rock until they stop you. In the end, they made sure Utah didn't.

Moving to the defense, I'm not going to be as rough as some others will be. This is a Utah offense that returned 8 starters. Their two new OL I thought did well. I also think there was a ton of holding that Utah got away with and some unlucky playcalls. Tayvion Thomas is the biggest back we will face early at 6'2" 238 lbs. Watching the replay, he has a great story and I hope the best for that young man. In a night where both teams wore the other down due to strong power running games, they started well and answered when needed.

Along the line, guys got penetration on passing downs. Sometimes still going too deep and giving holes for Rising to run. However, plenty of times sitting in the south endzone we saw shirts being pulled away from their bodies. On the "catch" by Kuithe that hit the ground, Justus Boone had Rising dead to rights if not for some great "blocking" by a beaten OL. The biggest, and I do mean this in all possible meanings, surprise on the DL is how much we saw Big Dez Watson. He played almost the entire goalline stand drive and was a massive (again, all meanings intended) part of that stand. If he can keep up the ability to play so many snaps at a time, it will open up all sorts of possibilities for this defense as he commands double teams.

The linebackers did well early and late. There were missed plays. There were plays where you have to credit Utah's scheme and experience in it. Burney had 6 solo tackles and some big tackles early and of course, solidified the win with a pick at the end after Miller dropped a pick 6 earlier in the drive. I've long said the loudest moment I've experienced in the Swamp was Dwayne Thomas' pick to solidify the win against FSU in '97. Burney's pick was right there with it. Something you either experienced, or should have.

Our secondary made the Utah receivers a non-factor for the most part of the night. Lots of rotation seeing Helm, Marshall, Torrence II, Dean III, Kimber, Johnson, Perkins, Moore, Donovan and I'm sure I'm missing some. Utah finished with only 217 yards passing, which was around their average for last season.

This defense is a work in progress, but I don't think they will get enough credit for some of the good things they did. The biggest is several times, including in the biggest moments bending, but not breaking against what might end up being a playoff team.

This team as a whole still has plenty to work on, still has some undisciplined penalties, but on Saturday showed they can play with some good teams. That is confidence, that is belief, that is conviction. That conviction they can hang with anybody, that they can score when necessary, that the defense can get a stop, even it it takes them to the goalline to do so, is something that cannot be taught, it only comes through experience and accomplishing what many, including possibly yourself, that was not possible. Welcome to the Billy Napier era.

So, what is a win over the Utah Utes worth? Nothing.....................................Everything.

Quick Hits
  • It was probably a good omen when in the midst of the crowd of barely moving bodies in the walkways of the Swamp a guy in a Gatorchatter shirt steps in front of me. It was aka who I felt bad for not being able to find a ticket for. Happy he got in for this one and more crazy of the 90,000+ of all the people I run into, it's him.
  • Lots of great Utah fans there. Two rows in front of me I had a guy who is on the Board for the Crimson Club, Utah's version of Gator boosters. He's been to tons of Utah games all over the county and said that the Swamp was louder than any stadium he's been to. Talked with him for about 15-20 minutes after the game.
  • So glad we didn't hear the "overrated" chant. As my uncle said to me years ago, the chant devalues your win. You want Utah to be correctly rated at #7 so you can say we beat a top team. We should want them to go 12-1 and make the playoff. What a great selling point for Napier if they do.
  • Let's not talk about officiating.
  • Or whatever that big play baton/cane is we have on the sideline.
  • Speaking of selling points, I said on the podcast that we needed to create an atmosphere recruits want to be a part of. We did that. After the game 5 star CB Cormani McClain got a Crystal Ball prediction to UF. Recruits ran onto the field after the game was over. This was special.

This was a great opener for UF. Lots to build on going forward. This is my fifth season doing these for GatorChatter and I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read these and interact as well as all of our other nonsense throughout the board. Thank you @BMF for the invite to this community. To everyone I have met in person and to all of those I haven't, thank you. This season appears like it will be a fun rollercoaster. buckle up.

Go Gators!

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
:fistbump:

Great write-up and great to meet, you, too!
The shirt is kinda hard to miss, I was hoping one of us would see it.
A guy grabs my shoulder, points at my shirt and asks..."Who are you?" Lol

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with Truth. It's an important win. They're all important. This was extra important. It sets the tone for Napier. It helps the players believe in him, his system and themselves. The goal line stand was bigger than big. It swung the momentum.

A record 90k-plus didn't show up because it was the after-party. They were curious like you and me. What will this team look like? Turns out it looks about as expected, too-heavy from an uber-talented QB and otherwise impacted by poor supply chains -- and with a seemingly bright future. The coach actually smiled during the game. Imagine that?

We know he can recruit. Maybe he can coach, too.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good write up. We also get away with penalties not called on us, but it is a Gator fans right to see it only one way and always has been for as long as I have been around. Johnson gets an extra shout out for picking up the back side blitzer on the 4th down play on last drive as well. I think you are overrating a bad defense. Our CB's did not render the WR's of Utah useless, as Utah is a TE dominated team and it is their strength and we don;t have the type of nickel or LB's to cover TE's. But thankfully the only other team that will be so TE heavy is UGA. But my question is why did we not stack the box when UTah went with extra linemen and even 8 guys on the LOS, which is legal. And lastly when Utah would go strong right let's say, why would we counter with only one down lineman on that side? Is it possible that film said they go to the weak side or run cut back to the weak side? Seemed odd to me that we did not make hardly any changes to that in the 2nd half.

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
And lastly when Utah would go strong right let's say, why would we counter with only one down lineman on that side? Is it possible that film said they go to the weak side or run cut back to the weak side? Seemed odd to me that we did not make hardly any changes to that in the 2nd half.
Wondered the same. Many times it looked liked like misalignment. Can’t help thinking this was by design, trying to influence the QB read into a run call vs pass. Wondering if PT intentionally wanted to defend run vs pass against their talented bunch set.
Gator D was definitely aligned off balance a number of times.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Good write up. We also get away with penalties not called on us, but it is a Gator fans right to see it only one way and always has been for as long as I have been around. Johnson gets an extra shout out for picking up the back side blitzer on the 4th down play on last drive as well. I think you are overrating a bad defense. Our CB's did not render the WR's of Utah useless, as Utah is a TE dominated team and it is their strength and we don;t have the type of nickel or LB's to cover TE's. But thankfully the only other team that will be so TE heavy is UGA. But my question is why did we not stack the box when UTah went with extra linemen and even 8 guys on the LOS, which is legal. And lastly when Utah would go strong right let's say, why would we counter with only one down lineman on that side? Is it possible that film said they go to the weak side or run cut back to the weak side? Seemed odd to me that we did not make hardly any changes to that in the 2nd half.

I think it’s a story to watch. Obviously, there are penalties to go around uncalled, but the Boone one in particular was egregious. Perhaps I am overrating a bad defense, perhaps maybe a team returning 8 starters on offense is good in their own right. The last Rising run, his longest at 29 yards, was a very interest line call as almost every lineman crossed each other leaving a big gap in the middle that he exploited. Was that the defense? The call? Miscommunication? Who knows? We also don’t face a QB with that running ability until Hooker at UT. Last year Utah’s WR Covey lead the team in receptions so though they go through their TE’s, it isn’t like they don’t use their receivers.

Again, plenty to work on. However, lots of good stuff as well. The perspective I have is this is a good foundation to build from and not a finished product.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Truth, I think this is your best breakdown from the last 5 years. Love the Kingdom of Heaven reference. Fantastic movie. Also, I'm enjoying the podcasts. Keep up the good work.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice job!

It's good to have another level headed review.

Go Gators!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I think it’s a story to watch. Obviously, there are penalties to go around uncalled, but the Boone one in particular was egregious. Perhaps I am overrating a bad defense, perhaps maybe a team returning 8 starters on offense is good in their own right. The last Rising run, his longest at 29 yards, was a very interest line call as almost every lineman crossed each other leaving a big gap in the middle that he exploited. Was that the defense? The call? Miscommunication? Who knows? We also don’t face a QB with that running ability until Hooker at UT. Last year Utah’s WR Covey lead the team in receptions so though they go through their TE’s, it isn’t like they don’t use their receivers.

Again, plenty to work on. However, lots of good stuff as well. The perspective I have is this is a good foundation to build from and not a finished product.
Torrrance(?) could easily have been ejected for targeting on their first TD.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Something to be pointed out is that well coached teams usually correct a majority of issues(missed tackles on defense and missed assignments in protection)between weeks 1 and 2. We'll find out even more about this team and coach next game although this should be wind in their sails.
The other good thing about opening with a tough out of conference opponent(if were to believe they were worthy of their ranking) is you don't have to wait until the 3rd or 4th game to find out who's who and what kind of team you may have once the rubber meets the road.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I too was surprised at how many reps Watson got. If he can lose some weight he'll be a force in the center.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Some have commented on Miller's whiff on a pick-6 to seal the game. However, I'd like to point out he's EASILY our most fundamentally sound and consistent tackler (even when granthem was trying his best to ruin the defense), and he's the one who popped the ball loose on 4th & goal when the rb might've otherwise snuck across.

Miller gives this staff a year to get the other LBs properly trained before the '23 season starts.

ultragator

Ultra Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
In the movie Kingdom of Heaven as Balian of Ibelin (played by Orlando Bloom) is surrendering the City of Jerusalem to Saladin and his army he asks Saladin "What is Jerusalem worth?" Saladin quickly replies "Nothing" then after a long pause he then replies "Everything".

That scene describes everything that this victory over #7 Utah was. Does it mean anything for the SEC race? No. Does it necessarily mean UF will have a great season? No. Does it mean that in a few years time we will know Napier is that guy? No. In that way, this victory means nothing.

However, for a team that finished with a losing record in 2021 and many have written off as a few years away from competing with competent teams, a top 10 victory means everything. For a team that many including Chris Doering picked to go 6-6 and plenty of "fans" believed would not win a game against a team with a pulse, this win means everything. For a coach who has come in and done everything off the field a fan could ask for, but still needs results on the field, this means everything. For fans who have barely seen any wins over top 10 teams for the better part of a decade and many times celebrated moral victories (I'm looking at the Bama games in 2020 and 2021), this win means everything.

On the Gator Truth Florida Football podcast, I discussed the turnover in Utah's front 7 and how I believed we would be able to run on the Utes. On the night the Gators averaged 7.3 yards per carry. On the first two drives we were averaging over 10 ypc. The kid in me that grew up in the Spurrier era loves a good passing game, but going into the game winning drive I told my group that I wouldn't pass unless absolutely necessary. We had been running really well and indeed we continued to. We also utilized tempo without subbing at times, another key I listed on the podcast. The tempo was successful and at times had me asking if we scored too quickly. We weren't perfect, but we did what we needed to do.

Anthony Richardson against what I believe is the best defense we will face in the first half of the season showed he can be that guy we believed he could be. He was 17/24 (70%) for 168 yards passing. On a night where we knew we we could run he did more damage with his legs, finishing with 11 carries for 106 yards, an average of 9.6 yards per carry. The average is weighed down by the two yard TD run for the first Gators score. For all intents and purposes AR averaged 10 yards per carry. That is great. He also did a great job several times escaping the clutches of Utah defenders to either scramble for 45 yards and a TD or that two point conversion.

The Gators running backs did their part as well except that early fumble by Montrell Johnson. Honestly, if he doesn't fumble and we march down for a touchdown on the first drive averaging 10+ ypc, I believe this is a different game. With that said, all three RB's looked good. Even though Wright ended averaging 3.9 ypc, I thought he did well. He got caught with some predictable playcalling late and got blown down for progress in what some would say is a questionable call. Montrell looked like being from the Sun Belt doesn't mean he won't be fine against the SEC and other top competition. Trevor Etienne looked like he will end up being a legend if he stays healthy during his time in Gainesville. He had some highlight reel runs and finished with 12.8 ypc on 5 carries.

The top 3 receivers showed up and did things that were both on and off the stat sheet. Pearsall looks as good as advertised. Henderson had a few important grabs. His average of 6.8 yards per reception is hampered by a few unsuccessful screen plays. Young guys like Daejon Reynolds and Fraziers also saw plenty of action. Reynolds might've had a long touchdown on a screen if not for him seeing the open field and a great block by Shorter and running before securing the catch. This group didn't do as much as some would like, but when you're averaging 7.3 yards per carry it would be foolish to ask them to do more. They did what they needed to do and I expect them to do more when necessary because when they were needed, they delivered.

The Florida offense moved the ball at will for the most part. The offensive line dominated what I do believe is the best front they will face until LSU. Most importantly, this offense showed resilience. Every time they needed to respond to a Utah score, they did. There was no panic, there was no folding. There was only one plan, pound the rock until they stop you. In the end, they made sure Utah didn't.

Moving to the defense, I'm not going to be as rough as some others will be. This is a Utah offense that returned 8 starters. Their two new OL I thought did well. I also think there was a ton of holding that Utah got away with and some unlucky playcalls. Tayvion Thomas is the biggest back we will face early at 6'2" 238 lbs. Watching the replay, he has a great story and I hope the best for that young man. In a night where both teams wore the other down due to strong power running games, they started well and answered when needed.

Along the line, guys got penetration on passing downs. Sometimes still going too deep and giving holes for Rising to run. However, plenty of times sitting in the south endzone we saw shirts being pulled away from their bodies. On the "catch" by Kuithe that hit the ground, Justus Boone had Rising dead to rights if not for some great "blocking" by a beaten OL. The biggest, and I do mean this in all possible meanings, surprise on the DL is how much we saw Big Dez Watson. He played almost the entire goalline stand drive and was a massive (again, all meanings intended) part of that stand. If he can keep up the ability to play so many snaps at a time, it will open up all sorts of possibilities for this defense as he commands double teams.

The linebackers did well early and late. There were missed plays. There were plays where you have to credit Utah's scheme and experience in it. Burney had 6 solo tackles and some big tackles early and of course, solidified the win with a pick at the end after Miller dropped a pick 6 earlier in the drive. I've long said the loudest moment I've experienced in the Swamp was Dwayne Thomas' pick to solidify the win against FSU in '97. Burney's pick was right there with it. Something you either experienced, or should have.

Our secondary made the Utah receivers a non-factor for the most part of the night. Lots of rotation seeing Helm, Marshall, Torrence II, Dean III, Kimber, Johnson, Perkins, Moore, Donovan and I'm sure I'm missing some. Utah finished with only 217 yards passing, which was around their average for last season.

This defense is a work in progress, but I don't think they will get enough credit for some of the good things they did. The biggest is several times, including in the biggest moments bending, but not breaking against what might end up being a playoff team.

This team as a whole still has plenty to work on, still has some undisciplined penalties, but on Saturday showed they can play with some good teams. That is confidence, that is belief, that is conviction. That conviction they can hang with anybody, that they can score when necessary, that the defense can get a stop, even it it takes them to the goalline to do so, is something that cannot be taught, it only comes through experience and accomplishing what many, including possibly yourself, that was not possible. Welcome to the Billy Napier era.

So, what is a win over the Utah Utes worth? Nothing.....................................Everything.

Quick Hits
  • It was probably a good omen when in the midst of the crowd of barely moving bodies in the walkways of the Swamp a guy in a Gatorchatter shirt steps in front of me. It was aka who I felt bad for not being able to find a ticket for. Happy he got in for this one and more crazy of the 90,000+ of all the people I run into, it's him.
  • Lots of great Utah fans there. Two rows in front of me I had a guy who is on the Board for the Crimson Club, Utah's version of Gator boosters. He's been to tons of Utah games all over the county and said that the Swamp was louder than any stadium he's been to. Talked with him for about 15-20 minutes after the game.
  • So glad we didn't hear the "overrated" chant. As my uncle said to me years ago, the chant devalues your win. You want Utah to be correctly rated at #7 so you can say we beat a top team. We should want them to go 12-1 and make the playoff. What a great selling point for Napier if they do.
  • Let's not talk about officiating.
  • Or whatever that big play baton/cane is we have on the sideline.
  • Speaking of selling points, I said on the podcast that we needed to create an atmosphere recruits want to be a part of. We did that. After the game 5 star CB Cormani McClain got a Crystal Ball prediction to UF. Recruits ran onto the field after the game was over. This was special.

This was a great opener for UF. Lots to build on going forward. This is my fifth season doing these for GatorChatter and I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read these and interact as well as all of our other nonsense throughout the board. Thank you @BMF for the invite to this community. To everyone I have met in person and to all of those I haven't, thank you. This season appears like it will be a fun rollercoaster. buckle up.

Go Gators!

ultragator

Ultra Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Great read. player and fan energy was thru the roof ! it was one of those games you just knew the Gators would find A way !
Love that Kingdom of Heaven movie ! Look forward to more top notch intel from you !
GO GATORS !

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator