Truth Takes: Homecoming 2021

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
On the way to the game I was discussing my pre-game thoughts with my group and I made a two main predictions:
  1. We would take a lot of shots downfield because it is Vandy and this way there can be the whole "I told you we don't have a downfield passing game issues" attitude from some fans and Dan.
  2. People would overreact in the positive and I pointed to two specific examples; callers into Steve Russell's post-game show saying we should retain Muschamp after our performance against E Kentucky in 2014 and callers saying we should hire Randy Shannon after blowing out UAB in 2017.
The first one is exactly what we did. We threw for 298 total yards and this lead to a limited rushing performance of 181 yards. I am pleasantly surprised that plenty of people considered the game an average performance. Neil Blackmon at Saturday Down South even questioned the desire of Mullen and the team to be great in his article.

Side note, I have not gone to a concession stand during a game in years. I went to refill our refillable cup yesterday and on my walk from the stand to our seats we had our two play TD drive. Maybe I should go to concession stands more.

Offense
As previously mentioned we desired to get the downfield passing game early and often. Emory started off with a nice, but terribly underthrown 32-yard completion to Trent Whittemore. The next drive ended with the jump pass floater to Fraziars. He had a few more big throws throughout the day including hitting Dameon Pierce down the middle in stride for 61 yards and a TD. He had the same route earlier in the game, but poor ball placement made Wright have to turnaround and that small bit of slowing down is the difference in Wright being stopped and Pierce getting TD. Jones finished with a career high 273 yards by design and it could've been better with more accuracy. I can't tell if he is improved or Vandy is that bad. Who am I kidding? Vandy is that bad. But maybe, just maybe this helps his confidence and we see an improved EJ going forward.

Let's discuss AR15 because I am seeing a lot of judgment against him because of his limited snaps in this game. So, I want to take a look and would love to hear what objectively he's doing wrong that Emory is doing better.

AR15's first play was a throwback screen that AR15 should not have thrown. Although he was getting nailed when releasing the ball, he needs to recognize the situation and live to fight the next down. His second play was a screen to Shorter for 9. Then a screen to Copeland where Copeland danced and it went nowhere. On third down, they called a QB draw that he took for 8 yards and a first down...except there an illegal formation penalty back the team up. I believe it was called "encroachment on the offense". Can't tell on the broadcast because it was poorly shot. Missed the first screen and didn't show a replay and then this. On third down, Richardson immediately has pressure in his face, but gets the ball out which bounces in the direction of Copeland. I know, I know, many will say that is AR15 looking like a freshman, but I would say even Tom Brady will do that when a pocket collapses that fast. Can't tell what the routes were, but looked like they all went beyond the sticks. So, both his incompletions were while he was getting hit.

Next drive, first play is a screen to Lingard for 9. On the next first down he completes a pass while getting hit to Copeland for 8 on a hitch. On the next first down he ran a read option for 3 yards. Then Lingard for 2 and on third and 5 we called the predictable QB draw that went for 1 yard after a free LB got to Richardson. He then got two on a QB run on first down on the next drive. Bowman then ran for a first down where Richardson did something I've seen him do before I like. He doesn't block, but runs forward getting into the defenses way delaying their pursuit to the ball. He was 4-6 for 25 yards and asked to run conservatively to end the game. It was clear there was maybe one downfield shot called for him, possibly the second incompletions where he got hit while throwing when the pocket collapsed quickly. Goldkamp tweeted that maybe Dan didn't want to take shots when up big. I replied (and of course didn't get a response) that two years ago, when up by a greater score Dan had EJ throwing a bomb into the 5 in the south endzone. Maybe Dan decided to not do that or maybe with just calling a bunch of screens he gets the reaction that I've seen by some, AR looks like a freshman. The question is that if the same plays are called, does EJ look the same?

Malik Davis was out, but the running backs did what they were asked to do. Pierce only averaged 1.7 yards per carry, but with two TD short yardage TD's that is deceiving. He also had at least one big run called back due to penalty. It was nice to see Bowman and Lingard get time. Both look like they will step up and possibly be an upgrade in explosiveness next season when Davis and Pierce are gone. Wright continues to show why he shouldn't be forgotten about in the backfield as well with some nice and patient runs. A combined 127 yards receiving by the running back was nice.

Defense
Let's get this out of the way, the shutout was deceiving. Vandy missed 3 FG's and replay saved a TD. Against competent teams, at least 3 of those 4 drives are TD's. It should've been 21-13 at the half. We had several third down stops due to drops or bad throws unpressured.

It would be easy to complain about all the bad of the defense in this game. Instead I will look at some of the positives. Obviously, it's possibly the worst team we will face. So I am going to look at some of the techniques that translate from game to game. The freshmen corners did get beat some, but on a few occasions they bodied receivers out of bounds on their routes. This shows they are starting to realize the importance of positioning and by getting inside levels with the sideline to their backs it creates difficult throws. At least twice balls were caught out of bounds due to this. Also, Helm and Marshall are developing each week and getting most of this game, despite the opponent, will help them.

I don't like seeing our safety making 15 tackles, but I think there is some context. Torrence in his 15 had 1.5 tackles for loss. On a few occasions, I noticed him coming downhill with a head of steam and making a big stop. It has been a while since we have seen a Gators safety doing that. These young members of the secondary do have issues, part of it is scheme, part is youth. However, watching them grow is something to look forward to building for the future.

Extra Points

• There are legitimately Gators fans who believe having a #1 offense in the SEC means EJ is not limited and are overreacting to Vandy.
  • I liked the throwbacks, curious to what we wear in Red Stick next week.
  • Facing LSU without Stingley or Boutte will help.
  • FSU might get bowl eligible. Tennessee might upset someone left on the schedule, they are on a tear since losing in Gainesville.
  • Yesterday had several incredible finishes; Ole Miss over Arky, OU over Texas, Iowa over PSU, ND over Va. Tech, Michigan over Nebraska, and A&M over Bama. Lots of choking.

Next week noon/11 am local kickoff in Death Valley. I imagine that LSU fans will be less amped. Both because of their record and because of the early start. Throw in you are missing arguably your two best players and this is a game UF should win. I am not sure when the Takes will be done next week as I will not be back in Florida until 9:00pm and am not sure if the computer is coming with me to Nawlins. Took the later flight based on the odds at the time the game would be a later one. Any recommendations for things to do in New Orleans? I'll have Saturday night and Sunday during the day.

Go Gators!

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Bout time.

Yea, slept in, my bad and the wife is sick. Also, took time out to tweet at a jackass who wanted to say that leading the SEC in yards means EJ is the best QB we have.

It's amazing Dan has somehow even made AR look below average now.

I thought about listing the playcalls, but it is what it is. I mean if the criticism is AR doesn't run the plays as called, then you call 4 screens, a hitch, and I don't know, but the pocket collapsed, I can't accurately judge a guy. I did see the other one also throw balls behind receivers and a bad pick as well. :dunno:

Stinchcomb made a comment I heard on the re-watch this morning about how if EJ throws the deep ball to Copeland on time (on the two play drive) its a TD. If only we had seen a QB throw that same route to Copeland on time this season...if only.:exactly:

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Cliff notes, please.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Cliff notes, please.

For you:

Can't say much because it's Vandy.
Playcalling for AR seemed very conservative despite us seeing him execute downfield before
RB's are still good
Defense was meh, but the young DB's show some good techniques they can build on.
Going to New Orleans next week, any recommendations?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
For you:

Can't say much because it's Vandy.
Playcalling for AR seemed very conservative despite us seeing him execute downfield before
RB's are still good
Defense was meh, but the young DB's show some good techniques they can build on.
Going to New Orleans next week, any recommendations?
giphy.gif

Thanks

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Where are you staying GT? Of course Burbon St is the main attraction but not sure why. It looks and smells like a dump. It’s not what it use to be. I would much rather have a play at Harrahs and Eat at Draggos if you want some good oysters. I enjoy walking down Canal and Burbon just for the sites, but I’m not much for the party scene. Be careful around Burbon, its much more dangerous than it use to be. Stay to yourself and group and you’ll be fine. Check out the french market/riverwalk if you have time. If you are up for it, take a horse buggy tour around the quarter. You may even get a spooky tour event being its close to Halloween. Let me know if you have any questions. I’ll be going to game also. Have fun

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Where are you staying GT? Of course Burbon St is the main attraction but not sure why. It looks and smells like a dump. It’s not what it use to be. I would much rather have a play at Harrahs and Eat at Draggos if you want some good oysters. I enjoy walking down Canal and Burbon just for the sites, but I’m not much for the party scene. Be careful around Burbon, its much more dangerous than it use to be. Stay to yourself and group and you’ll be fine. Check out the french market/riverwalk if you have time. If you are up for it, take a horse buggy tour around the quarter. You may even get a spooky tour event being its close to Halloween. Let me know if you have any questions. I’ll be going to game also. Have fun

In not the best part of town, but great Air BnB reviews. All reviews are 4.9 or 5 except for location which is 4.4. Since there isn't a NOLA Gator club shuttle trip this year we figured we'd rent a car and this place at least has parking. It'll be an adventure.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nice write up as always @GatorTruth133

I have not seen a replay, but I think you are being generous in calling the pass to Pierce “in stride.” From my vantage point he was waiting on the ball. The fact he took it to the house was a tribute to how open he was.

As for your trip to La, if you are much of a history buff, check out the WW2 museum in Nawlins; very cool.

Last edited:

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Took the kids yesterday, crowd was quiet for the most part. So much so being 5 rows back on the 35 I could hear the players conversations and fat Todd chewing out the D. Little did I know leaving at the start of the 4th I wouldn’t miss much, just goes to show how much of a pussy Dan is when being up big. I was kinda pissed watching some of the younger players not getting in there sooner, I could see the frustration on players faces.l which played into the post about kids wanting to transfer.

I did hear from a connected Bull Gator that Strickland had already expressed wanting to dump Dan but “can’t” at the moment. The admin, fans and likely players have lost all faith in him.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good Take, as usual...... Thanks

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I was at the Ole Miss v Arky game that was far more entertaining with far hotter chicks in far greater numbers. I'm not even going to bother watching the replay. Thanks for the post!

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks again Gator Truth for taking the time to write this. I sure hope we do not lose AR15 to the portal. Have fun eating in LA.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Good take, Truth!

I disagree with your lswho prediction. UF’s record with 11am CST kickoffs is pretty rotten, as I recall. Add to that last year’s loss vs what looked like a 35-man corn dog roster of scrubs at home and I really have zero confidence in this staff to prepare the team.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Took the kids yesterday, crowd was quiet for the most part. So much so being 5 rows back on the 35 I could hear the players conversations and fat Todd chewing out the D. Little did I know leaving at the start of the 4th I wouldn’t miss much, just goes to show how much of a pussy Dan is when being up big. I was kinda pissed watching some of the younger players not getting in there sooner, I could see the frustration on players faces.l which played into the post about kids wanting to transfer.

I did hear from a connected Bull Gator that Strickland had already expressed wanting to dump Dan but “can’t” at the moment. The admin, fans and likely players have lost all faith in him.
Why “can’t” they if everyone wants him gone?

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
The Corndog game should be interesting. I've grown as interested in what will Dan be acting out today as the actual game. Last year's swan dive into the dirt will be hard for him to top.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

WTF does that mean? That sounds like Strichnine has come to the realization that hiring Cousin Eddie was a mistake (thanks for nothing AZZHAT, we told you that 4 years ago you dypshyt). Anyway what does "CAN'T" mean? The time to act is now. No time better than the present. When you have a hemorrhoid, you get it taken care of ASAP, b/c it is a FUCHSing annoyance. Loser AD's say CAN'T. Real AD's and admin's just take care of business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator