Truth Takes: Hootie and the Blowcocks

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
There are many things that can be said about yesterdays noon kickoff game, but the fact is this, we had an 18 point lead before Carolina scored their final score while we were playing prevent defense. We did piddle around in the puddles for 3 quarters before once again we owned the fourth quarter. I was unfortunate not to make the trip as I was planning on making it since early August. Sometimes changing jobs leads to a change of plans. In games that I have watched since 1992, UF has never lost a game I've watched where it has rained. In that time, there are two games we lost in the rain, '01 Auburn and '04 Tennessee. For the first one, I had my school's homecoming dance and for the second, I was working my first job at Publix. Funny enough, both of those games required last minute field goals (and long ones at that) to beat us. There's some good juju for us when it rains since Spurrier began the modern era of Florida football.

I'll get this part out of the way, the officiating was bad both ways. Kyle Pitts was interferred with, there were multiple no called holdings, a facemask on Trask's keep on the read option, and a few more missed calls for Carolina including a ridiculous spot for a first down on Carolina's second drive. Cleveland and DeDeDelance got away with things on Pierce's TD run.Hammond's "pick" play. I'll say he got away with it, but offer these few things:
  1. Trask was on the run in the RPO.
  2. Hammond is NOT touching a guy with the ball in the air.
  3. Contact is within a yard of the line (or within 3).
  4. :dance:
Seriously though, if not for the rain, This game may not have ever been close.

Offense
The commentary says early that it took Mullen said it took weeks to realize we are a passing team. With the line in the shape it is and the tremendous depth at WR and TE, how does it take that long? That's neither here nor there, but come on, man.

Well, the rain dampened the offense for the first bit of the game. Trask usual release looked slower and his accuracy was lower. I'm honestly not sure how much rain practice he has ever had. In this age of indoor practice facilities, it's not like the kids practice outdoors in the rain if they can help it. Heck, I made fun of Shane Matthews in the past for bashing UF facilities (they do need upgrades) because of his complaints that players have to walk through the rain on rainy days to get to practice. Yes, he said this on Steve Russell's show a few years back while they were seeing what major school his son would walk in and be starter on day one of. Point is, We need to stop babying players and practice in the rain more. Part of football is doing well even when you're uncomfortable, whether it's rain, snow, hot, cold, etc.

With Trask's issues early, I did like seeing players, like Copeland step up and make plays. Trask also wasn't helped by a few drops...like the one on the first play of the game. I am also happy we didn't see Jones. I think overplaying Jones was a factor at LSU and I think that keeping Trask in the whole game (except when his helmet came off) helps build confidence that it is his team no matter the situation. We're not going to let him get us to the red zone and then put in Jones to get points.

The running game also had some good runs outside of Pierce's TD run. We even saw Trask with a few runs that weren't the longest, but do help contribute to a long term help. One time he ran after escaping the pocket and another he kept on the read option. A keep on the read every so often does help slow a defense and gives them one guy to cover. He did get a few yards on the run. On this note, Trask also had a few good throws where he escaped the pocket, kept his eyes downfield and delivered a good pass.

Defense
Why is Stiner still getting so much playing time? If you think this question isn't valid, let me present Exhibit A from this week, and by all means this is not exclusive, the first long run by Carolina at the end of the first quarter. Stiner is out of position, doesn't even read the run until the running back is in the second level and then whiffs hard on a tackle and Wilson has to run the guy down for the tackle. There were other similar plays by Stiner throughout the game.

The defense was decent. On the opening drive, Carolina hits a trick play that needed a one handed grab in good coverage to work. Ancrum had two big offsides penalties (from the DE spot he doesn't usually play) and Carolina scores.Things we need to clean up for sure, but the rest of the game went pretty well (ignoring that joke of a last TD drive). It was also nice to see plenty of young guys getting reps. Hopefullly, we get Zuniga and Greenard back and won't need the young guys as much the rest of the year, but this is experience in a big SEC East match up that will be big further down. Did the true freshmen play like true freshmen at times? Yes, but again, consider that these guys will only get better with more experience and time in the system along with more Savage. With the admirable job they did, makes me feel good about what is coming from them in the future.

Linebackers need better gap discipline going into UGA. I did like seeing Burney with tremendous downfield coverage on that one play. I would even consider putting him at safety over most of the ones we have.

Quick Hits
  • For the first time this season we did not throw for at least 250 yards, remember when we would get this far into the season and maybe not have one? Feels like forever ago.
  • Our running game is bad, but we do have three 75+ yard TD runs this season. That is 1/8 of all 75+ yard TD runs in UF's history (24 total) according to Nick De La Torre.
  • Dan Mullen in his first 21 games has won 17, the same as Urban Meyer and one win off of Galen Hall and Spurrier (18 wins). What do those 3 other coaches have in common? Hint: We don't recognize Hall for this NY Post achievement. Now, does Mullen live up to this? Idk, but I'm much happier at this point than I thought I'd be.
  • Punt Return game still awful.
  • Running game may be picking up in time for the final four games. Seriously, I'll take all the 3-7 yard runs that we were only getting -1 to 2 yards on at the beginning of the season.
  • We are finally bowl eligible. Only took 9 weeks of play.

Around the Nation
  • UGA fans trolling twitter about shutting UK out when UK didn't have a QB. You went to halftime 0-0 and needed help from UK to get going.
  • Wisconsin fans walking to a bridge and beginning to jump around, jump up, jump up, and jump down.
  • If most Miami fans aren't the way they are, I'd feel bad about where they are after where they thought they'd be.
  • As a 90's kid, I will never feel bad for FSU being where they are. (Joke about firing Taggart this season would be racist proactively removed)
  • I do feel bad that UT lost their QB could have been a game. I mean playing 11 on 18 sucks, but they were hanging a lot longer than I thought. In the game, we watched officials in a span of two minutes stop the game so Bama could adjust to a wildcat look after UT motioned the QB out wide and throw a flag on a Bama three and out because the Tennessee player steadied himself on Tua as he got up. It was a poor flag that you never see thrown. Seriously, Guano at QB probably kept UT from possibly pulling it off considering what happened the rest of the game. Ok, maybe no upset, but could've been closer.
  • How many losses does Michigan end with? 2 or 4? Do you want them taking out the Golden Domers next week?
  • Derek Mason is awesome, losing to him is not. As I tweeted, it's current M-I-L-L-O-U (with more L's to come).
  • #FailState was looking too good. Had to show why they lost to UT.
  • Pac 12 very happy with Washington today. Throwing that game away to keep one team with playoff hopes alive.

Next week is a bye coming at the usual time, and yet, it is the perfect time for everyone to get healthy. Stop and think about this, we still haven't really seen our top defense yet and haven't seen our offense running at all cylinders with Toney available. Buckle up, the last 4 games are going to be exciting. Take the time this bye week to enjoy what we've seen and to spend time with the family. Decent slate of games as well.

Go Gators!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Always enjoy your takes. Liked your Whiskey/House of Pain reference :)

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think our punt return game is awful. Its not spectacular. It's hard to block punts nowadays. Biggest improvement is that unlike when that bumbling asshat nord was in charge, at least we field the punt instead of watching it bounce 20 more yards down the field.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think our punt return game is awful. Its not spectacular. It's hard to block punts nowadays. Biggest improvement is that unlike when that bumbling asshat nord was in charge, at least we field the punt instead of watching it bounce 20 more yards down the field.
Seems like we just fair catch 90% of them.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like we just fair catch 90% of them.
It seems the goal is to put enough pressure on the punter so he can't get that great of a kick off, then catch the ball so it doesn't bounce down the field and give us poor field position. We don't get hardly any return yards, but our overall field position after a punt I think is much better on average than we've seen the last few years.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Our safeties can't tackle and our DT's are non-existent. A Clemson backup torched us for 175. What the hell will Swift do?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Pierce’s time has come. He plants his foot and goes. Perine does run hard at times but does not hit the hole as quickly. Our OL can’t hold their blocks all that long and Perine’s search for the hole runs out of time. Pierce can get to the second level more quickly it seems so the reduced time with open lanes doesn’t hamper him the way it does Perine. And once he’s out there he’ll destroy any DB that tries to tackle him.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
We also didn’t have Greenard or Zuniga to turn the runs with double teams etc...so that is kind of a moot point...swift looked like garbage for 2 1/2 quarters last night...I think we’re in much better shape than you think

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
Well written and thought out opinions and info. This is better than anything the G Sun puts out and it isn’t even close.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our OL can’t hold their blocks all that long .
Hmmmmm.... I mostly see that we arent particularly fast at pulling and it takes a little longer for us to open the hole.

Most of these lineman were not recruited for an offense that requires agility.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Pierce definitely dances less, Perine seems to go with the direction of the play longer rather than seeing a lane and accelerating through it. Our OL more occupies space rather than blocking, so go where they aren’t... the ends are definitely up field quick so whatever happens it has to be fast

Go Gators

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Hmmmmm.... I mostly see that we arent particularly fast at pulling and it takes a little longer for us to open the hole.

So, are the OL we are now recruiting, being recruited for their agility?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

yeah it’s a mish mash of late butters and early mullen recruits. Forsythe, Delance and bleich are the ones who seem to be struggling most.

And yes, there are times they just aren’t the right athletes for the scheme, but on other occasions these linemen are just getting whipped. Bad. Blown up.

The fact that we don’t have any kind of fb blocking just accentuates each mistake caused to varying degrees by youth, inexperience, talent, technique, and/or execution.

But I think the OL quality will continue to rise. Running game will take a step forward next year and a passing game with Trask slinging it to Pitts, Toney, and Copeland should still be solid.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i was very displeased with the defensive effort against the run. after a while i just quit counting how many times that running back of theirs busted big gainers up the middle and outside. hoping it was just nasty conditions making things slippery for the defense and the absence of some good starters. if we play the run like that against georgia, they dont even need to pass to win. im sick of this undersized line getting punished by anyone with a pulse. the staff needs to wake up and realize this is the SEC and its an LOS league. get some big butts in there for f##s sake! :gah:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

I'll give you that. However, we haven't returned much, if at all on how many fielded punts? It's punt return, not punt fielding.

Our safeties can't tackle and our DT's are non-existent. A Clemson backup torched us for 175. What the hell will Swift do?

That will be a great question. Also, maybe we try blitzing in ways that aren't delayed or safety blitzes? Idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.