Truth takes (post-Michigan)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good stuff from gatorcountry free board, this guy does posts called Truth Takes:

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/truth-takes-wrong-right-michigan-and-more.374762/

Didn't take my computer to Dallas with me (did my MCO post on my phone) and I have too much to say to type it on my phone. Dallas may be one of my favorite games away from BHG I have attended, excluding the annual matchup in Jacksonville. Yes, we lost and it was maddening (more on that later), but a great atmosphere for college football. On a side note, I was proud that so many Gators were wearing their gear around town on Sunday after a loss like that. I know that we dominated the 10-10:30 reservation times at the Book Depository Museum.

Where GatorTruth was WRONG:
  1. I bought into the hype that our offense was much improved. There was reason to believe, unfortunately, as one twitter person tweeted OL coach Brad Davis, "should we call the FBI? your O-Line went missing in Texas". If you can't get a decent line in year three, why should you have year 4?
  2. I thought our linebackers would do better. David Reese and Johnson did well, but even my man Joseph left more to be desired. Missed tackles lead to too many yards for Michigan.
  3. I thought Doug Nussmeier would have a playcalling brain...Why? I don't know. I started a thread last year about how terrible he is and things he does that doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, that thread has disappeared. I went looking for it. (More on this later)

Where GatorTruth was Right:
  1. The suspensions had no bearing on the game. Listen, Jordan Scarlett isn't running through multi-player gang tackles, sorry. With that line and playcalling even Emmitt Smith and Fred Taylor taking turns wouldn't get much more than what we got. When our receivers had a good ball their way, they did well. Tyrie Cleveland performed really well. "But Truth imagine the deep threat that Callaway is...", you think with that line that we had time for a bomb to Callaway? Also, we did have a few great throws of over 20 yards when we had time, see first throw and the Cleveland catch on the Gator's sideline from Franks.
  2. Young DB's would step up, but would make a mistake because of youth. Yep, you have to be the dumbest coach in the world to not go after a substitution in coverage due to injury. Last year @ FSU they scored after Dawson went out by going after McMillan and against Michigan they went after Davis. It's a learning experience.
  3. Our D-Line would play well. Let's forget the fact the defense couldn't get a rest due to poor offense yet again, 5 sacks against Michigan is a good day. Was it perfect? No, but I'd take 5 sacks by the D-line every week.
Not Enough Info:
  1. Hard to tell about Franks. My personal take is that averaging 15 yards a completion and over 50% completion during your first game with that line and that playcalling is good. Especially when one of those incompletions was a throw away because your one option on the called rollout wasn't open. Franks last Spring would have tried to force it and end up with a pick six. Great throw to Hammond, great recognition on the one on one coverage with Cleveland on their longer connection (pretty sure that was a hot route), and even an incompletion to Swain would have been a big gain on third down if just a foot higher, but a good play was made by the DB. For now, I think Franks has shown enough to get full games. I said it to many in Dallas and/or on the plane home, with that line, Danny or Timmy or Shane would all have problems because they'd have no time and multiple free rushers at them.
  2. Perine. He didn't have even a decent game, but would it matter when the other team is constantly blitzing and you have 0 holes to hit?
  3. Toney/Massey. If you want a lesson in how to waste speed 101, just watch Saturday and the line "we didn't get to it" should be enough for someone to be fired. There is no not getting to it, you start early with finding ways to get these guys the ball. Not finding ways to get these guys in space is a coaching failure and an embarrassment to the program.

Why We Lost: Playcalling, Playcalling, Playcalling, Playcalling, Playcalling:
  1. When the backline of your school's soccer program can block better than the football team's o-line there is something wrong. Yet, you can coach around it, we failed. If you didn't know we are currently 121 out of 125 before the Tennessee-Ga. Tech game in offense, Nuss has had 0 top 110 offenses in the last three seasons before kickoff Saturday. How could he have covered for an inept O-line? I'm glad you asked:
    1. Jet sweeps- put Toney or Massey in a full on sprint and snap the ball with them at full speed and run to the wide side of the field. Michigan's D was fast, but I doubt it was Toney/Massey full speed fast. Example: FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME WITH CLEVELAND. With Cleveland it was a good game before the penalty, imagine with a faster player and more space.
    2. A RB screen- This play for those who don't know what this is, the O-Line lets the defense get through (so I guess they thought every call was this play) and then the QB dumps it to the RB behind the defense while the linemen either block those coming from behind or the DB's. Example: Perine's TD catch against UK last year. Perine caught 5 for 25+ yards a piece last year (with a few short ones. But, no, don't take advantage of an overaggressive defense.
    3. Run between the tackles- I know, we are sick of the dive play, but..Nuss got off to running the stretch (a handoff to the outside) on Saturday. When we ran between the tackles (only a few times believe it or not) we had some runs of 4 and 6 yards. That stretch didn't do anything but take a few seconds to develop allowing the LB's to get to the ball. Also, Thompson's TD run (called back, I know) was a middle run that he switched direction on...which leads to:
    4. RUN A F-ING COUNTER- A counter, for those who don't know, is when you have a run appear to go one way, but you pull a guard and the running back switches directions by design. When you have an aggressive D expecting stretch plays, maybe have them bite on what they think is the 100th stretch on the game only for the RB to cut to the weak side of the formation while the D's momentum carries them the opposite way for a second.
    5. RUN THE TOSS- This gets the RB outside much faster than a stretch because you aren't waiting for the QB and RB to run to a spot. We ran exactly one toss for 8 yards...no reason to call another wth over a half remaining in the game.
    6. Rub Routes- I saw a tweet where Doering either re-tweeted and agreed or added this to a tweet, run routes that are quick and could cause DB's to run into one another, getting a receiver in space for a quick strike. Michigan did this A LOT. Works for them...why do it, right?
    7. Quick Slants- Anyone remember Miami killing us in the Swamp in Zook's first season? I do. Remember all those quick slants to fast receivers? I do. Remember these take two seconds to run? I do. These also cause LB's to back out of the box, opening up the run. So, no, don't call it...EVER.
    8. RUN THAT PLAY THAY WE DID SO WELL WITH LAST YEAR- A few times last year (first half against UT and 98-yard TD against LSU) put 7 men on the line with a RB running wide and two go routes. Cleveland didn't fail on any 50/50 balls, so even if Michigan knew it was coming we could get a big gain. Even with the matadors masquerading as an offensive line, you put Franks in the shotgun and have him throw it immediately and let Cleveland run under it.
  2. Where's any semblance of a hurry up to keep the other team off balance? I honestly believe Nuss thinks we have to let the defense figure out the play before we can snap it.
  3. Remember how well we do on first drives? (except when Del Rio throws a pick-6 at Arky) Well, you better believe the whole staff scripts the first few plays (this has been established in a number of interviews of various coaches) and then we see a drop off when Nuss takes over (this was mentioned in that now expired thread).
  4. No creativity. I am willing to go back and watch our entire offense to see what percentage of plays were stretches and screen passes (which I love watching one receiver attempt to block two players...it isn't happening)
(continued on next page)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(continued from above):

Final Thoughts:

If there is a game Saturday, I know the Steve Russell's of the world will tell all the fans they were wrong about Nuss if we score 28 against lowly Northern Colorado. If we don't drastically improve before LSU and Nuss is calling plays, Mac has tied his fate to Nuss. He made it clear today that any and all fault is on him. Clarabelle has run out of time. I've said before and will say it again (and USA Today even pointed this out), we would not have two SEC East titles if Mac faced the same quality UGA, Mizzou, and Carolina programs that Champ faced. Muschamp couldn't win the East with top 110 ranked offenses, we've won it with two sub-110 offenses. I'm done feeling like we may lose to Vandy, I'm done thinking that we could lose to UK for the first time in my life (not to mention most UF student's lives), I'm done with watching all of our talent go to waste. Nuss may suck, but today's press conference has shown that Mac is tying himself to Nuss for better or worse. I tried to believe and see the positive side. Average over 400 yards per game until LSU or get out. Not scoring an offensive touchdown in 3 of the last 7 games? That's BS and Gators would have probably burnt Zook alive, literally, if he ever had an offense that bad. But, like frogs in a slowly heating pot, we've grown used to bad offense until we've become a national disgrace. Gator Nation is tired of excuses, we are tired of lies, we are tired of incompetence. I'm tired of coaches ruining any NFL potential a player may have. You've seen me try and choose the positive side, now I'm choosing the probable side.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
This is on Swamp Gas? Can't really believe they let it stay up. They bury their heads over there. It's beyond ridiculous. The worse it gets with the football program, the worse the pumping gets over there. It's delusional. Almost every poster forgets recent history and they almost all backed Zook and then Muschamp. I was a lurker there for a long time. It almost drove me insane the retardation over there. I thought I was alone until I found this board and I rarely go look at the other boards. This is easily the smartest board with the most realistic, knowledgeable posters. I just can't understand the gator fans that back Zook/chump/Mac and then go back and swear they didn't back them later after it proves that they're all colossal failures.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was very well stated. Someone needs to tell that guy to post here.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Truth Takes should come here and read Cover2's Bits & Pieces

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No counters, no quick slants, no rubs, waits until the end of the play clock to run a play, etc...

he absolutely sucks as a play caller.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
The damage being done isnt just showing up in wins and losses. Its really starting to hurt the national perception of a once strong and revered football powerhouse called the Florida Gators.

There is no reason we shouldnt be an ELITE program just due to our location alone. Probably top 5 minimum places to be located for recruiting purposes and football quality.

Last edited:

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
AD, that's why. That's really where the blame belongs. Mac is Mac and Chump is Chump, they are gonna do what they do and it aint' nearly enough. But the AD (Foley in the past and now this new whistledick) are the ones running the show and they have been abysmal at fixing the problem.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Just pin this with C2 post and the SEC and gridiron article. Sums up the last 3 years of non adjustments and poor play. Reading that SEC article made me realize wh I was a bad player. Really broke down where the true analytical thinkers go. M&N's aren't, they melt on the field

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I went back and watched the game. I was blown away by how many times (on both sides of the ball) Michigan seemed to call the perfect play. The truth is, they knew what Shannon and Nuss were going to call. What happened to the offense at Colorado State? Why aren't we running that offense? Why are we running an offense Chump would be proud of? It is clear we are beyond predictable and blaming it the players being soft is pure cowardice. Sure they got beat at times. However, most of the time, they got beat because Michigan knew the snap count (play clock is at 1-2 seconds) and the play call which puts the o-line at a severe disadvantage. I agree with Pat Dooley (that makes me feel all dirty). He said Mac was nothing but a used car salesman.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can't disagree with anything he wrote.

Sad what we have become. Pedestrian and predictable.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
While we are on the subject of analyzing the play calling...........

Did anyone else pick up on the over the top gushing that Todd Blackledge was doing with Harbaugh?

I know he is a Big 10/11/12/whatever guy but some of his comments were ridiculous.
Case in point, as this article points EVERYBODY and I mean EVERYBODY knows that you attack a DB when he comes into the game for the first time. In fact it is basically a Duh!
Oh but Mr. Blackledge gushed for two minutes over Harbaugh "Oh that move was pure NFL right there." "Michigan immediately attacked the new DB, that is 100% NFL coaching strategy."

What a joke

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Did anyone else pick up on the over the top gushing that Todd Blackledge was doing with Harbaugh?

I know he is a Big 10/11/12/whatever guy but some of his comments were ridiculous.
Case in point, as this article points EVERYBODY and I mean EVERYBODY knows that you attack a DB when he comes into the game for the first time. In fact it is basically a Duh!
Oh but Mr. Blackledge gushed for two minutes over Harbaugh "Oh that move was pure NFL right there." "Michigan immediately attacked the new DB, that is 100% NFL coaching strategy."

What a joke

Harbaugh is a good coach, but the things he gets credit for by the commentators is just plain dumb.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

What a joke

I disagree. I don't feel like Blackledge was overly praising Harbaugh. If "EVERYBODY" knew that they were gonna attack Davis, why didn't our genius coaching staff? Harbaugh is an excellent head coach. He has legitimate NFL success and experience. The discrepancies are blatantly obvious in our respective coaching staffs. Elite talent is capable of trumping subpar coaching at times, but when the talent level is similar, mediocre coaching will get exposed. He's 10x better than McElwain will ever be. It's sad, but it's true.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree. I don't feel like Blackledge was overly praising Harbaugh. If "EVERYBODY" knew that they were gonna attack Davis, why didn't our genius coaching staff? Harbaugh is an excellent head coach. He has legitimate NFL success and experience. The discrepancies are blatantly obvious in our respective coaching staffs. Elite talent is capable of trumping subpar coaching at times, but when the talent level is similar, mediocre coaching will get exposed. He's 10x better than McElwain will ever be. It's sad, but it's true.

First, I think you answered your own question as to why our staff didn't see it coming. Seriously, everybody that follows football knows that you attack the new meat on defense and they know that you strike downfield after a sudden change of possession. All actual genius staffs know this already.

I agree that Harbaugh is a good coach (not sure I would attach great just yet) and I know what the NFL brings and it is not knowing to attack the new player. Coaches know this in high school.

What Harbaugh and his NFL experience brought was the preparation and the game planning that was evident to everybody as well. Harbaugh beat Tubbs weeks before kick off. Had Blackledge made comments in this vein I would have simply nodded my head in agreement but when you start gushing over a coach for routine knowledge and decision making, I have to call bull shi!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. Swampass has gotten decidedly more realists friendly. That too is a very late sign
in coach firing process.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I went back and watched the game. I was blown away by how many times (on both sides of the ball) Michigan seemed to call the perfect play. The truth is, they knew what Shannon and Nuss were going to call. What happened to the offense at Colorado State? Why aren't we running that offense? Why are we running an offense Chump would be proud of? It is clear we are beyond predictable and blaming it the players being soft is pure cowardice. Sure they got beat at times. However, most of the time, they got beat because Michigan knew the snap count (play clock is at 1-2 seconds) and the play call which puts the o-line at a severe disadvantage. I agree with Pat Dooley (that makes me feel all dirty). He said Mac was nothing but a used car salesman.

If UM seem to have the perfect play call on both sides of the ball almost every play, to me that is the quintessential definition of COACHING!!!!. It is scouting, it is planning, it is ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!!!!!!!!. Either they knew the formations, etc. or they knew there assignments based on formations and movements. They knew their keys. They are well schooled. Simply put our coach just flat out SUX. Blame all the assistants you want. yes they blow also, but the last time I checked the HC puts those guys in place. The administration does not dictate who the position coaches are!!!!!!! BTW, if Tooley called Butters a used care salesman, then kudos to him. I have never heard Tooley utter a bad word about Butters and have only heard him make excuses and shill for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb