Truth Takes: Underrated Players in UF's Modern Era

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I may get some drunk or facepalm ratings for this, but outside of Gatornation, Spurrier is underrated.

When all time coaches will be discussed, Spurrier will be a throw away, after Saban and Bear Bryant, and (yikes) Urban. He will probably be mentioned around sorry-ass Woody Hayes.

Hell, many outsiders probably consider Urban to be the best coach ever at Florida.

Spurrier just doesn’t get the national respect he really deserves as an ALL TIME great.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I may get some drunk or facepalm ratings for this, but outside of Gatornation, Spurrier is underrated.

When all time coaches will be discussed, Spurrier will be a throw away, after Saban and Bear Bryant, and (yikes) Urban. He will probably be mentioned around sorry-ass Woody Hayes.

Hell, many outsiders probably consider Urban to be the best coach ever at Florida.

Spurrier just doesn’t get the national respect he really deserves as an ALL TIME great.
Of all the places he could have gone, the Redskins under meddling Daniel Snyder was probably the worst. It's a shame. Spurrier is a UF legend no matter, but had he stayed I have no doubt he would have added to the dynasty. Just my speculation, but I believe he feels the same.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Jon Xynidis was always a personal favorite of mine for those hits on Peter Warrick. While fckhead was looking up waiting to receive a punt, Xynidis blasted his ass in the chin about 2 seconds before the ball arrived. I wanna think he pulled it off twice in the same game. It was a long time ago maybe some of you remember more accurately?

I remember him. I think he was mostly a special teams guy. And I seem to recall he had a similar hit against LSU.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always liked Sherit. He was a player. Tough to read his story. Will always be a great Gator to me.
He played hard. Everywhere except the weight room. He got destroyed on any off tackle or trey running at him. It is what it is. It's what happen when a 240 lb linebacker sized dude tries to play DE versus a 310-320 lb SEC OT.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I had zero recollection of the kid. Your post inspired me to check. He and Emmitt were super-close.

It's the first time in college football history a scholarship was given to a second string PAT holder.

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
He played hard. Everywhere except the weight room. He got destroyed on any off tackle or trey running at him. It is what it is. It's what happen when a 240 lb linebacker sized dude tries to play DE versus a 310-320 lb SEC OT.

Dude was 175lbs as a Hs sophomore and suffered multiple injuries throughout his career. Torn ACL half way into his senior season in high school. Tore the other ACL when Brantley rolled up on him during the FSU game & missed the SEC Chamopinship game his RJR season. Came back his RSR season to be, most probably, the best, most consistent DL we had. Then suffered the grusome aforementioned injury that ended any chance playing beyond college.
I mentioned Jordan Sherit as perhaps one of the most underrated DE due to his work ethic, never-give-up attitude, relentless effort, and his strength at playing the position. Solid player overall. I remember countless plays where he just did his job...and where many others did not.
I do admit I watch film different than most. He impressed me with his play. Also, he was an outstanding student. And a role model for all other Gator players.

And no, I’m not researching film to back that up. And before you ask, no, I’m not related to the dude nor have I ever met him.
Perhaps you misunderstood the original post.

Sherit all about business in football and abroad - UF Warrington Newsroom

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Offense

Rod Frazier was a solid lead blocker for many years. He didn't get the ball much obviously, but
was a big component to the offense in the late Spurrier years.

Erron Kinney- Mammoth TE that was solid blocking in the ground game that provided
a large target on passing plays.

Kelvin Kight- Didn't play much as an underclassmen since he had Gaffney, Taylor and Reche
in front of him. He had a solid year Zooks first year . I swear in the 02 cocktail party he
must've caught 20 bubble screens. Gotta love Zaunbrecher:doh:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Offense

Rod Frazier was a solid lead blocker for many years. He didn't get the ball much obviously, but was a big component to the offense in the late Spurrier years.

Like one of Gatornation’s favorites and most underrated: Billy Latchco (hope I spelled his name right, I don’t want him to truck me)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Defense: Tim Paulk, Ed Robinson, Ben Hanks, Bam Hardmon

I loved Paulk that year, and Ed Robinson was a tackling beast, being the only "modern" Gator in the top ten in tackles for our school. Paulk exemplified the Booyah identity for that defense - I believe he was dumb enough to try and punch through glass with wire embedded in it and shredded his hand. Alas.

Loved your whole list, and agreed on Robinson... he was constantly moving the defense around. Had forgotten about him.

As for Paulk and Robinson, I would say the entire defense around 1990 was underrated and is still among my favorites of all time... they just balled and played with attitude as a unit on EVERY damn play.

Here are some of the players:

Culpepper
Huey Richardson
Mickell and Gaines backing them up
Phee Bartley
Carlton Miles
Jerry Odom (might be one of most underrated LBs of all time, especially given his size)
Tim Paulk
Ed Robinson (back up in 1990)
Richard Fain
Will White
Monty Grow as backup DB at that time and Del Speer

EDIT: fuk... i just looked at the 1991 roster... that D had even better names added to those above. But those were the couple of years where I loved the D even though the world was focusing on fun 'n gun side of the ball.

This picture of Garrison Hearst getting exactly nada yards still hangs in my garage. Loved those guys.
Gator D.jpg

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The name “wiLLLLLLLie” is reserved for the loser coach in tallacrappy. Williie Jackson Jr is a Gator and a winner, just like his little brother Terry and their dad, Williie Sr. Don’t ever insult that family again. Ever. Or I will find you, and it will be messy.

Edit: I see now, it happened in my post too... I forgot Ox set up the filters to change the spelling for the doofus in tally. Unfortunately, that causes a rare problem when discussing some of our Gator Greats from the past. I added an “i” to avoid the filter.

I've known the Jackson family since I was nine... From their mom on down they are a great group of people.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Carleton Miles.

I think 1992 was SOS’ rebuilding year. We were a mess with brand new players (all underclassmen and even true freshmen) starting in the trenches. Carleton Miles held that defense together. He was a real leader.

Fred Weary.

We’ve had so many great CBs that Fred often gets overlooked. Joe Haden, Janoris Jenkins, Lito Sheppard, Kiewan Ratliff, VHIII, etc.

Alex.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
QB: Terry Dean

I don't know if there is another way around this. Leak had his crystal trophy moment and all the magazine covers after the '06 ship, Jesse Palmer never really had a defining moment as Gator QB (except for the Gaffney/UT win).

But Dean put up some huge numbers that I believe we took for granted at the time, believing that it was more Spurrier than Dean. Dean is largely ignored like Betamax to Danny's VHS greatness. There were some hard feelings, and we certainly didn't like anybody showing any sort of bad vibes toward Spurrier, who was busy eradicating all the heartache from our past and changing our identity, so Dean was cast off forever.

RB: Ciatrick Fason

Elijah Williams is a close second here (13th all time, 6.4 ypc), but Fason spent his freshman season watching during Graham's last season, 2003 playing behind Wynn for the most part (although he caught the pass from Leak to beat Saban and LSU - which was sweet), and then exploded for a top ten all season in 2004 during his junior year. 5.7 ypg on that team, 6.0 overall.

I said recently that there was stunning lack of video available on Fason, likely because the team stunk that season, but I loved the way he ran, almost LeSean McCoy like in his herky-jerky style, but his 2004 season deserves remembrance and he could have been even more widely used in 2003 over Wynn and Ran Carthon.

WR: W(illie) Jackson

Tough here because Spurrier's teams always had well recognized WRs, but maybe some don't realize that Jackson was 6th in TDs, 9th in yards and 3rd in receptions all time for the Gators. I never think of W(illie) Jackson when I think of the top players from that early SOS era, but I should.

TE: Kirk Kirkpatrick

Those who were there in 1990 remember how clutch Kirkpatrick was for Shane that first season. It was Kirk's last year, much like Ernie Mills, but it was a glorious season, catching 55 passes, which LED the SEC that year - amazing!

Defense: Tim Paulk, Ed Robinson, Ben Hanks, Bam Hardmon

I loved Paulk that year, and Ed Robinson was a tackling beast, being the only "modern" Gator in the top ten in tackles for our school. Paulk exemplified the Booyah identity for that defense - I believe he was dumb enough to try and punch through glass with wire embedded in it and shredded his hand. Alas.

Hanks is here because he was the heart of the '95 Gators defense, including the fantastic interception of the pitch on 4th and short on our own 3 and ran it all the way for the score, making the Georgia Dome rock with Gator dominance.

Hardmon I forgot completely about in the disappointment of Spurrier leaving -- but he had a top ten all time tackling season in 2002 with 168.

Kicking: Caleb Sturgis

Listed here just be able to say "The Sturrrrrrrrrrrge" one more time here in my office.
Alabama had no answer for Willie in the second SEC Championship game in Birmingham. Dean also played a helluva game, was knocked around hard, always got up and came back with inspired play (especially to Willie).

Last edited:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The name “wiLLLLLLLie” is reserved for the loser coach in tallacrappy. Williie Jackson Jr is a Gator and a winner, just like his little brother Terry and their dad, Williie Sr. Don’t ever insult that family again. Ever. Or I will find you, and it will be messy.

Edit: I see now, it happened in my post too... I forgot Ox set up the filters to change the spelling for the doofus in tally. Unfortunately, that causes a rare problem when discussing some of our Gator Greats from the past. I added an “i” to avoid the filter.
I reread my post and thought I needed another cup of coffee.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Loved your whole list, and agreed on Robinson... he was constantly moving the defense around. Had forgotten about him.

As for Paulk and Robinson, I would say the entire defense around 1990 was underrated and is still among my favorites of all time... they just balled and played with attitude as a unit on EVERY damn play.

...Phee Bartley

I should have list Ephesians (Fee) Bartley on my list -- #44 - dude was everywhere laying on the big hits in that Booyah defense era -- thanks for the reminder!

Whatever happened to Fee Bartley?

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Sorry for delay in response. My wife decided Sunday was an all-day venture at Disney and yesterday was work followed by a work dinner on the other side of Orlando, which was awesome, but I passed out as soon as I got home. Anyways, some thoughts.

I always thought Ben Troupe was a great TE that didn’t get enough praise. Good ambassador for the school too.

In my experience, Troupe has always been looked upon as perhaps top-3 in the modern era. He's also awesome on Twitter. Although, I wouldn't doubt he may not get enough credit in some circles.

No love for returner Brandon James?

I couldn't classify him as underrated. If you polled most of GatorChatter, for example, I think most people would say he is the best return man since 2005, if not longer.

QB: Terry Dean

I don't know if there is another way around this. Leak had his crystal trophy moment and all the magazine covers after the '06 ship, Jesse Palmer never really had a defining moment as Gator QB (except for the Gaffney/UT win).

Enjoyed your entire post, but for space reasons I trimmed it down for my reply. I actually had almost every person you listed in my mind and debated back and forth about them. I even had to double check that Hanks wasn't a DE (I was a kid when he was playing and didn't know quite as much about defensive positions). I still remember watching his 95-yard TD against Bama on TV in the SEC Title game.

Gus Scott, Todd Johnson, Aaron Walker, Ian Scott, Shea Showers (liked his name as a kid), jack Jackson,

But the most underrated to me was Travis Mcgirff. He got some love, has a family of gators, but he was 5’8 and stuck on teams with Ike Hilliard, Reidel Anthony, Quezzie, Travis Taylor, Reche Caldwell (mcgriff was on the roster for 40 years), and the best of them all: Nafis Karim.

He was a nice guy when I met him in person and have always liked the little tyke

Damn. This is a great list. Have at least 3 Chicago Bears there. Shea Showers actually did a small football camp in Clermont when I was a kid. It was in spring '97. I wish my dad had taken pictures. I forget who all was there, but I know Fred Taylor ended up having to make up a test so he backed out and there were some FSU players as well (who were actually surprisingly decent I remember through my FSU is evil 9/10 year old eyes).

Ahmad Black.

One of my top 10 favorite players ever. Maybe I see him as not underrated through my own lens. Dude is a great ambassador for the University. Him breaking down on Senior Day is a moment I will always remember.

Teako Brown was a guy at safety that was a great player for the Gators.

I wore #33 in high school because of Teako. In fact, the wife and I have discussed (partly jokingly?) about naming a boy, if we have one, Teako James for Mr. Brown and Mr. Bates. (And here comes the comments on that).

Earl Everett

See, I think people don't underrate him because of the championship game and one of the all-time iconic images in Gator football keep

Like one of Gatornation’s favorites and most underrated: Billy Latchco (hope I spelled his name right, I don’t want him to truck me)

You mean the one I listed? ;)

Good Gators and memories all around. So many names listed that I as debating. I probably should have put multiple at each position. :headslap:My bad.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Adrian White was bad ass in the same vein as Jarvis and Louis O. I think he walked on when we had scholarship limitations.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Carleton Miles.

I think 1992 was SOS’ rebuilding year. We were a mess with brand new players (all underclassmen and even true freshmen) starting in the trenches. Carleton Miles held that defense together. He was a real leader.

Fred Weary.

We’ve had so many great CBs that Fred often gets overlooked. Joe Haden, Janoris Jenkins, Lito Sheppard, Kiewan Ratliff, VHIII, etc.

Alex.

Fred Weary was awesome and had an incredible career here. Love that guy.
Great post Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.