Truth Takes: Underrated Players in UF's Modern Era

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Feleipe Franks

Depending on the next few seasons and what happens at the QB position, this may not be far from the truth. I mean there was plenty of times this year where he didn't get the credit he deserved or was unfairly criticized. Also, there was plenty of times where perhaps he wasn't criticized enough so it might be a wash.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
For the people that are new here, I’m bumping this old thread, since old threads are being bumped recently.

Also, I’d like to add Lamical Perine and David Reese to this list. Both were solid for 4 years of playing time and yet ;) , I don’t think they will be as foundry remember as they should down the road.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think looking back, Kyle Trask is going to be a name that really stands out as our underrated player of the century.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I think looking back, Kyle Trask is going to be a name that really stands out as our underrated player of the century.

If he improves upon this year next season, then I think he will possibly be remembered highly.. Though I think there is a possibility he ends up in a Johnson/Palmer type memory where everyone's memory is that their time was ok, but nothing special.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Elijah Williams , Bo Carrol and Eugene Mccaslin all deserve a mention . Especially Eugene for dragging that pile of **** Shart down the field in 98’.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The name “wiLLLLLLLie” is reserved for the loser coach in tallacrappy. Williie Jackson Jr is a Gator and a winner, just like his little brother Terry and their dad, Williie Sr. Don’t ever insult that family again. Ever. Or I will find you, and it will be messy.

Edit: I see now, it happened in my post too... I forgot Ox set up the filters to change the spelling for the doofus in tally. Unfortunately, that causes a rare problem when discussing some of our Gator Greats from the past. I added an “i” to avoid the filter.

The Jackson’s are Gator royalty.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
If he hasnt been mentioned I would add Tony Lilly. I always liked watching him decapitate receivers who went across the middle.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Terry Jackson. As I recall not used often but when he was he was on point. Looked great in #22. Didn't he score twice in the Gators first NC?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Terry Jackson. As I recall not used often but when he was he was on point. Looked great in #22. Didn't he score twice in the Gators first NC?
He was a platooning RB#1 first his first three years and starting FB (to give carries to Taylor). One year he moved over and started at LB because of injuries. Seemed like he played on every special teams. Was a team captain. Was student body president or vice president I think.

He was a pretty big part of those championship teams. Was the leading rusher in the 1996 NC game.

He had a decent pro career because of his versatility.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was a platooning RB#1 first his first three years and starting FB (to give carries to Taylor). One year he moved over and started at LB because of injuries.

Terry Jackson did whatever it took. The guy simply loved playing football. Pretty sure he played ST, too.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Shocked nobody has mentioned Tevin Westbrook. He selflessly switched from DE to TE and deflected so many game winning passes.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Underrated how? Because amongst Gator Fans, it's really hard to come up with guys that we underrate.

QB - I'd say Dean, just not a good fit emotionally to play for SOS. If Ingle Martin waited a year, we may be talking about him.

RB - K. Taylor, how many times was he fighting guys off in the backfield. Also a nod to Gilly, the quietest 1,000 yd rushing in Gator history. Definite benefit from Meyer leaving.

WR - I second the McGriff call. He has the single season yardage record for the Gators. How about Darrell Jackson.

TE - Aaron Walker rings a bell, good TE that no one talks about

OL - echo the Muschamp linemen who made good NFL players

DT - Hunter comes to mind as someone who fought thru some early injuries that had a good career. Also, very underappreciated by Gators, along with Sanders and Marsh.

DE - I can't say any jump out as underrated. Cunningham maybe? Clint Mitchell?

LB - Larentee McCray maybe. Ryan Stamper seemed to provide a lot of leadership and versatility. Bam Hardmon was never appreciated from my recollection.

CB - Jeremy Brown was uber talented that just couldn't get over injuries. Avery Atkins that left due to off field issues. Probably a position with more overrated players than underrated.

S - I'd say Will White considering present day consideration. A lot of safeties from the SOS days are underappreciated today.

K - McPherson, no one ever gives the kid any type of press

P - I don't think we have any real underrated guys here. We learned to love punters under Muschamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator