Tucker Nails It

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Taco Gratis, Jan 3, 2019.

1. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3,079
    Ratings:
    +5,400 / -124
    I finally listen to it.

While I think he has identified some key problems and causes, he did not nail it. His arguments are based on a false premise. The premise will cause his solutions to devolve to the same place. ****ty government.

His faulty premise is government is responsible for improving my life. This is utterly false. I am responsible for improving my life. Government is responsible for providing a level playing field and protecting my rights.

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
      $3,043
      Ratings:
      +3,764 / -43
      And balancing your rights with mine.

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,402
        Ratings:
        +9,364 / -338
        Why can’t we just say big business and big government are both dangerous

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,529
          Ratings:
          +5,056 / -61
          I have yet to watch an episode of that program. However, at least 5-8y ago, I recall watching commercials that would hold only 'tan' actors which I presumed was so they could pass it off in English for America, and dub in Spanish without issue for the second largest language we have here.

I will also note it is becoming increasingly difficult to discern roles in shows or movies now, in that two women (or men) could be siblings, friends, lovers, or a well established couple until you are well into the story. I'm also not seeing much in the way of 'role models' in that families are predominately non-traditional (male father + female mother + natural kids), to where a nuclear family and the stability it represents is an artifact in media. One which is found rarely, and little significance is attached to the difference. While traditional families have been on the decline (many unwed mothers, many more divorces), I believe the traditional family is still the dominant norm in America, and those 'broken homes' aren't then switching to the 'media norm' but are looking for another traditional partner to fill the void. 'Media norm' is fiction, IMO.

• Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $462
            Ratings:
            +465 / -12
            That's why they have to "bite" people to reproduce!

• leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,654
            Ratings:
            +1,675 / -75
            I can't believe I am hearing old Dem ideas out of the mouth of so called conservatives. What is this world coming to?

• Taco Gratis

Taco Gratis Often wrong, never in doubt.

Ratings:
              +1,853 / -25

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $3,306
                Ratings:
                +9,997 / -17
                I have not enjoyed politigator nearly as much as I enjoyed lboy.

While I may often disagree with you, I appreciate this post. It's a lot more like lboy than the dreck politigator has been posting. I think if you posted more like this, you wouldn't be so anxious to take a break from this place.

Alex.

• Politigator

Politigator L-boy's Cousin

Oxbucks:
                $234
                Ratings:
                +234 / -383
                Posting by yourself in a forum isnt particularly enjoyable or enriching. No matter how good or how dumb a point I make the response is exactly the same.

• Politigator

Oxbucks:
                $234
                Ratings:
                +234 / -383
                While I agree, I'm also skeptical that politicians and regulators can keep up with the complexity and the speed of today's technology. By the time they wage war the landscape has already changed.

• Tay Bang

Tay Bang I might have been mean to Byrd
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,896
                Ratings:
                +3,200 / -203
                Look within dude. Look within. Stop posting stupid blue talking points that everyone knows are BS, buy yourself a sense of humor and act like a man. You would fit in just fine.

• AlexDaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $3,306
                Ratings:
                +9,997 / -17
                Some analysis of the monologue from the Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/tucker-ca rlson-was-right-about-working-class-family/579754/?utm_source=fbb

As you know, I am one of those “let the free market self correct” types but I absolutely see the value in this discussion. It does not betray my principles to believe that we need to do better as a society in terms of encouraging and supporting the basic family unit. This is distinct from government-imposed social engineering.

I’m also appalled by some of my allegedly intelligent feminist friends (even a few self-proclaimed conservatives) who interpreted this monologue as an attack on female wage earners. They caused Red Lobster to stop sponsoring Tucker’s show. Asinine. I’m sick of everybody wanting to play the victim so they can be outraged.

We need to hit reset.

Alex.

• Politigator

Oxbucks:
                  $234
                  Ratings:
                  +234 / -383
                  Good article. I applaud the dialogue by Carlson. He brings up legit issues which I was frankly shocked to see him bring up. At times he barks up the wrong tree.

While I think feminists boycotting him is chicken ****, and just another example of cultural liberals stifling intelligent conversation, it isn't a big leap to get from Carlsons monologue to the conclusion that things used to be better when women were at home barefoot in the kitchen. I don't think it was intent to imply that, but it isn't an illogical conclusion.

• AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,079
                  Ratings:
                  +5,400 / -124
                  Only need Addition by subtraction.

• AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,079
                  Ratings:
                  +5,400 / -124
                  What is red lobster?

• AlexDaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,306
                  Ratings:
                  +9,997 / -17
                • Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,976
                  Ratings:
                  +10,554 / -32
                  If you gave Tucker a chance, rather than a single review, you might realize that he is basically a constitutional libertarian, and not a nut. That said, you mistake his talking about "fairness" as wanting govt control to ensure this. What he consistently says is that we need more a "return to fairness" where there are not two (or more) systems, one for us, and one for those in power (power, NOT money... power trumps money, then money comes next in our "system of systems").

What your summary really reflects is what I've patiently (sometimes) tried to tell you for more than a decade now... the system as is, is irreparably broken and on a down slope... The system as is cannot be fixed from within or by electing "the right guy/gal"... it's wayyyyy beyond that. Don't flip out on me, but there are only two ways out of this now... Article V convention for force change from outside DC, or some form of collapse/reset. I know you hate this, but it IS that black and white. It is complete lunacy at this point to think that we could collectively elect the right/correct people to "fix" the system. We can't.

So, Article V, or slow decline (which for the millionth time, started about 116 years ago) to some collapse/reset.

Stupid and Doomed. ;)

• AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $3,079
                    Ratings:
                    +5,400 / -124
                    Oh no, not another longcat!

• AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $3,079
                    Ratings:
                    +5,400 / -124
                    Bump. Are you saying we need more govt to correct the problem? Will this be the dog or goat we are swallowing?

• Taco Gratis

Taco Gratis Often wrong, never in doubt.

Ratings:
                    +1,853 / -25
                    No, I really haven't. With your indulgence, let me suggest your perception could be a function of the shelves you're currently using to classify others' politics.

It is true I don't bow to the altar of American Empire, which is also true of some Libertarians (Ron and Rand Paul, for instance).

I'm also vehemently against the types of nudging state and oligarchy policies (aka Libertarian Paternalism) advocated by Sunstein and Thaler, which (again with your indulgence) I'm guessing you'd look upon with a favorable eye.

[​IMG]

Where I break with Libertarians – especially those in the Randian/Objectivist camp who don't necessarily subscribe to Libertarian Paternalism – is over their worship of the modern fiction of "the individual" as the summum bonum.

My politics are more in line with communitarian and subsidiarist thinking.
                    Should you care to investigate further, the following two short videos (under five minutes each) provide a good approximation of the principle of subsidiarity.

SUBSIDIARITY:

SUBSIDIARITY AND COMPETITION:

As far a this:

See Detroit's thoughtful (if slightly patronizing) answer:

I disagree slightly with Detroit, in that I believe while Carlson is certainly a Constitutionalist, what he's advocating falls more in line with the communitarian/subsidiarist thinking I'm advocating.

I guess we're all prone to putting others on some short of shelf.

#60 Taco Gratis, Jan 13, 2019
                    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019