Tucker Nails It

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Taco Gratis, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Politigator

Politigator L-boy's Cousin

Oxbucks:
    $755
    Ratings:
    +760 / -1,285
    Thanks. I'll definitely go through this later. I miss these types of exchanges which are extremely rare.

2. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,306
    Ratings:
    +6,634 / -191
    isn’t that what they say put us at the top of the food chain?

3. Politigator

Politigator L-boy's Cousin

Oxbucks:
    $755
    Ratings:
    +760 / -1,285
    Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

I did watch the second video. The first link did not work.

While in theory I can see the value in the second video, my questions/concerns are:

1. Some issues, especially in the day of technology and a global economy, are better handled at a larger level. It is why many companies keep getting bigger and bigger. A local government may not enjoy the economies of scale.

2. Some things, such as national defense, clearly can't be done at a local level - an I'm not implying that is what you are proposing, only giving that as an example. The same could be said for infrastructure, homeland security, environmental protection, and other such activities.

3. The big issue here is what it implies for the social welfare state as well as govt regulation. Clearly, Silicon Valley will be able to better provide a "safety net" than depleted areas in coal country. Such a local governance model would likely lead to less of a safety net and regulation, which to some may actually be a feature, not a problem. The great society programs, for all of their warts, dramatically and permanently reduced the level of extreme poverty in the country. Environmental protections would be very difficult. Excuse me while I build a coal plant right next to your community's border. I can't help it if the wind mostly blows your way.

4. Similar to 3, people, corporations, etc, would be more likely to gravitate towards the communities which favor them. This already happens to some degree, and would likely happen even more. State and local governments would be no match for the biggest of fortune 500 companies. I am thinking you end up with a corporatist model. State and local leaders would be shills for the local corporations - a problem we already have - but would likely be worse.

5. From the opposite side, it would be more difficult for major entities to operate, when you have 5000 different sets of rules and regulations. Interstate commerce would become more difficult.

Thanks for posting that. I have had DG on ignore for about 2 months now, which to some degree I hate, because I have always despised the whole idea of intentionally ignoring someone. But I just got tired of the constant personal attacks and drama. But the result is occasionally I miss good posts like the one above. I can deal with slightly patronizing, but I am not going to engage people anymore that attack my character because they happen to have different views than I.

We absolutely all do, including me. My frustration is when people take the time to address such mischaracterizations, they are generally ignored. How many times am I boxed in as a Bernie Sanders liberal, which is ridiculous comparison.

#63 Politigator, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  4. Pablos Tunnel

Pablos Tunnel Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,555
    Ratings:
    +1,063 / -45
    He like half of the tool is D.C., they refuse to believe for one moment that they could be wrong. A little education and a bunch of arrogance is a bad combination.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $6,841
      Ratings:
      +13,436 / -51
      I mislabeled him out of brevity and forgetting your other, more accurate, descriptors, that actually were covered in my Intro to Philosophy class in 1989 (one of only about 5 courses that have served me throughout life).

As for “slightly patronizing”, my reply is “per se” ;)

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $6,841
        Ratings:
        +13,436 / -51
        You truly do not understand the intent of the Constitution, and that is neither patronizing nor a personal attack

• Taco Gratis

Taco Gratis Often wrong, never in doubt.

Ratings:
        +2,214 / -35
        Tucker calls on Congress to ban phones for children:
        "An addictive product that science has determined gravely harms kids."

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $6,841
        Ratings:
        +13,436 / -51
        Haven't watched, but one need not look any further than the policy at the school all the tech elites send their kids to in Palo Alto... zero tech. Even papers are done with pen and pencil, not computers.

• Taco Gratis

Taco Gratis Often wrong, never in doubt.

Ratings:
          +2,214 / -35
          Yep. I'm not sure we can go as far as Carlson wants, but any parent who allows their children unfettered access to these devices is no better than one who lets his kids smoke cigarettes or worse.