Tuesday Favorites… Best Florida City/Town

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Had never heard of Bristol, so had to look it up. The state park looks really great. May have to make a trip up there to hike it. I'm assuming that's home for you?

No, my hometown is Wildwood, the once lovely area ruined by The Villages. Currently reside in Hillsborough county.

I would love relocate to the Bristol area when I retire, if SWMBO would cooperate. Liberty is the least populated county in the state.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Had never heard of Bristol, so had to look it up. The state park looks really great. May have to make a trip up there to hike it. I'm assuming that's home for you?

I'm not sure where you are but if you are thinking about Bristol, then have you also been to Marianna Caverns or Wakulla Springs?

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Liberty county shares a bit of border with Leon on the east side, Blountstown / Calhoun county across the Apalachicola river to the west. Easy run to the Gulf for fishing. Lots of good deer hunting in the region.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Liberty county shares a bit of border with Leon on the east side, Blountstown / Calhoun county across the Apalachicola river to the west. Easy run to the Gulf for fishing. Lots of good deer hunting in the region.

I love the small beach towns around St Teresa, Lanark Village up to Port St Joe.

Edit: keep going west up to Mexico Beach before PCB - especially St George Island

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Fernandina Beach, Sanibel, old part of Dunedin along Alternate 19, Everglades City to name some. Monticello is a pretty county seat town in the panhandle. Naples before 1970 was pretty special.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Naples before 1970 was pretty special

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and Coral Gables circa 1970 - 71.
Lots of fun for kids at that time. No need for bulletproof vests.
The only 'danger' was riding your bike as fast as you could from the mosquito/malathion trucks.
Probably why I topped out at 5' 10" vs. my 6' 3" Dad.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dunedin/Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs.

Home. Home to my family for four generations. Always will be, although the numbers are very few there right now.

One of my favorite spots anywhere on the planet to this day is nearby, sitting at Philippe Park looking out over Old Tampa Bay enjoying the serenity yet to be ruined by tourism. To remember growing up watching my late uncle cast net those same waters for mullet, and scooping up a 5 gallon bucket full of oysters at low tide.

Watching sunsets at Dunedin Beach and on the Dunedin Causeway, long before anyone else discovered them, or charged admission.

Having grandma's house nearby with one of the last orange groves in the history of Pinellas County, and five citrus trees in our own backyard, tangerine, mineola tangelo, grapefruit, and navel orange.

Great memories. Great place, no matter how much it has changed and continues to do so.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would say Mexico Beach, if it is rebuilt without the really tall hotels. It was a quaint little getaway for many years. Geared more for family than young singles. Not a ton to do other than sun, swim, fish, or walk the beach. Not a lot of restaurants, none of the chains except a Subway in a gas station, but fresh seafood is available if you’re prepared to cook it. About the pace of life I’m looking for. Hope it comes back soon.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
St Joe, mexico beach, appalach, cape San blas, st George island.

The forgotten coast is really nice. Love it there.

Around the bend places like tarpon springs are also nice.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Has anyone heard of this island right off St Joe bay? Home - Black's Island

af09fee8a1c00d7c37286fcd0a1f1aa7.jpg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I would say Mexico Beach, if it is rebuilt without the really tall hotels. It was a quaint little getaway for many years. Geared more for family than young singles. Not a ton to do other than sun, swim, fish, or walk the beach. Not a lot of restaurants, none of the chains except a Subway in a gas station, but fresh seafood is available if you’re prepared to cook it. About the pace of life I’m looking for. Hope it comes back soon.

every summer in the 70’s a couple of families from Tallahassee would spend a week in Mexico beach. (including the summer when ‘Jaws’ came out and no one would get more than ankle deep :)
I believe we would always try and stay at The Governor’s Inn or at least close by it.

we would also head over to Miracle Strip and Petticoat Junction with the pay one price wristbands. and- a nice dinner at Capt Andersons.

And- I seem to recall a really old run down mini-golf/arcade in Mexico beach- and we’re talking REALLY run down in the 70’s. I remember it was pretty ghetto but can’t remember what it was called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.